URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Including yourself, how many people from your family do you think are likely to enroll?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am

2%
68%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 119

SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Re: URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Post by SamNZ »

zil dunn wrote:I'm e4/e4 and soon to be 49 years old. I dabble with the keto diet and take many supplements. My dad is in memory care in Texas and my mom is in memory care in Florida. I've been preparing myself and family for proactive approach regarding my health. I need help!!!
Welcome zil dunn, thank you so much for joining us and our community it really is a great source of information on a wealth of things. The whole thing can seem quite overwhelming I know, and with a strong family history being aware of practical lifestyle changes, some of which you are already making, to bring in that can help prolong your cognitive health. As you navigate around this website, find things that speak to you and look into them further, by understanding more of other peoples experiences you should be able to make some real gains physiologically for yourself. It is great that you are reaching out to our community for help. Keep us posted we will be excited to follow your journey. - Sam NZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

Thank you for posting this information. I would love to participate. Please keep me informed, I will Check the site too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poppela1958
New User
New User

Post by poppela1958 »

I am interested, I am E3/E4 with my father, grandmother and two great grandmother's who were diagnosed with either Alzheimer's or senility. I know at least two siblings that would be interested as well.
fivediets
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fivediets »

Hello Julie — Given how hard (if not impossible) it is in New York for even doctors to order some tests, will this program be available in all 50 states? Thanks, and very interested if it is. — Chris
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hello Julie — Given how hard (if not impossible) it is in New York for even doctors to order some tests, will this program be available in all 50 states? Thanks, and very interested if it is. — Chris
Good question, Chris. Things are still under development. Stay tuned for more specifics.
Jcolon9
New User
New User

Post by Jcolon9 »

I am interested. I can see if my sister would also like to join. I know for sure that I have one ApoE4 and one E3. Not sure about her. Please keep me posted.
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

I would be interested, though I would first like to review the study registration information.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Jcolon9 wrote:I am interested. I can see if my sister would also like to join. I know for sure that I have one ApoE4 and one E3. Not sure about her. Please keep me posted.
Welcome, jcolon9!

We're glad you found our site and hope this information is helpful. If your sister is interested in this biomarker study, she's also welcome and may be able to be tested without getting her genetic information if she so chooses. If she's not interested, that's also fine. You may want to share this link with her; it presents a balanced view of getting tested for ApoE 4: Thinking About Testing?.

Since this is your first post, I would encourage you to spend some time checking out these handy links:

We encourage new users to share their own stories of finding out about ApoE4, their own best practices to enjoy a healthy life and any questions or favorite topics on Our Stories

APOE-ε4 Introduction is especially useful if you just recently found out you have ApoE4.

The Primer is an easy-to-browse resource with topic headings of topics related to strategies to understand and manage risk that you can begin at a pace that works for you.

"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website is a great resource for new users. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki.

We hope you feel comfortable joining in any conversation. We are all finding our way in this uncertain territory and it helps to have friends on the path.
4/4 and still an optimist!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

poppela1958 wrote:I am interested, I am E3/E4 with my father, grandmother and two great grandmother's who were diagnosed with either Alzheimer's or senility. I know at least two siblings that would be interested as well.
Welcome, poppela1958!

If you are like me and snuck in a reference to your birth year in your user name, let me be the first to reassure you that at almost 67, and ApoE 4/4, I am still doing just fine both cognitively and in enjoying life! That's more than I could hope for when I was about to turn 62 and found out my 4/4 status--because the "news" was that probably I would be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease by age 68. And yet here I am, enrolled in a clinical preventions study that requires people with Apoe 3/4 or 4/4 to be cognitively healthy and ages 60-75--and I still do just fine on the semi-annual tests. And my early diet, exercise schedule and stress level was far from perfect and like you, I have a history of heart disease and dementia on both sides.

So let me first repeat our favorite mantra: Genes are not destiny! We have many more protective factors than previous generations did. Our food is healthier, most of us are less exposed to smoke, toxic water, lead and other pollutants. We had more education than our grandmothers and great-grandmothers, which gives us cognitive reserve that is associated with 7 more years of good cognition in some studies. We have access to health care to keep our blood pressure down, our glucose and insulin levels normal and to prevent heart disease and chronic sleep apnea. And of course, we have the ability to find what works for us and what is recommended for people with ApoE 4 and to intervene early to help ourselves!

We're glad you found our site and hope this information and other forum topics are helpful. If your siblings are interested in this biomarker study, they are certainly welcome. If they haven't been tested for ApoE 4, you may want to share this link with them; it presents a balanced view of getting tested: Thinking About Testing?.

Since this is your first post, I would encourage you to spend some time checking out these handy links:

We encourage new users to share their own stories of finding out about ApoE4, their own best practices to enjoy a healthy life and any questions or favorite topics on Our Stories

The Primer is an easy-to-browse resource with topic headings of topics related to strategies to understand and manage risk that you can begin at a pace that works for you.

"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website is a great resource for new users. It shows screen shots of how to quote users so they will see your posts, how to search topics and how to use our Wiki.

Feel free to jump into any conversation; we welcome the views and lived wisdom of all our members and are here to support each other in finding out how to best respond to this inheritance of ours!
4/4 and still an optimist!
OliveD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by OliveD »

I am interested in participating!