Day of Surgery Strategies

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
tinamalone
Contributor
Contributor

Day of Surgery Strategies

Post by tinamalone »

Hi all! I am having total shoulder replacement surgery this Thursday, in 3 days. I know the risks of surgery and anesthesia but this is my best choice for overall health and sleep. I was wondering if anyone had experience with day of surgery and day after surgery strategies. The planned stay is one night but it sometimes goes to 2 nights. For example, crackers and soda are a "no go" for me but they will try to push them on me afterward as I tend to get nauseous from anesthesia. I plan to ask for water in the recovery room. My husband can bring me up specific stuff that I want. Any ideas what to keep in my stomach to ward off nausea? The hospital has a menu and there are plenty of veggies, eggs and salads as choices and, though likely not ideal, will be fine until I can get home. Also, I have been off my Bredesen protocol supplements for 2 weeks leading up to surgery and want to hop back on ASAP. Has anyone brought theirs to the hospital?

Just thought somebody might have been down this road before and, maybe, I don't have to "reinvent to wheel". Thanks for any assistance and ideas!
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Day of Surgery Strategies

Post by Creekside »

Would ginger tea be a possibility?

Best of luck to you with surgery. I hope it brings you great relief one the PT is done.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Rice or oatmeal work for me. If you took instant oatmeal with you and got some hot water, it should work. Some type of custard with milk and eggs or plain yoghurt might work.
Sending you virtual hugs and best wishes for your recovery.
Starfish
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'll be sending good energy, (((tinamalone!))) One thing you may want to prearrange with your surgeon is glucose-free IV bags for the recovery room and beyond. Glucose seems to be the standard of care to help people recover from pre-operative fasting. If you're in mild ketosis, that's the last thing you'll want. I had some fairly major surgery several years ago and took notes for other E4s. You may find some nuggets that are helpful here. I can already see you doing handstands in the very near future! :D Let us know how you're doing when you're able. -xo
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Best wishes to tinamalone. I learned from Julie G’s link, and now I am going to be prepared with written instructions for any future hospital entry. 11 months ago I was suddenly struck with acute pericarditis. I was in hospital three days for diagnosis, observation, and initial treatment. To my horror, they denied me metformin (which I’ve taken since 2002 maintaining a 5.7 Hb1ac), and put me on a “heart healthy” low fat high carb diet. They proposed to treat me with insulin, which I’ve never touched in my life. In other words, they would pump up my blood sugar with hundreds of grams of sugar and starch beyond anything I’ve experienced in years, then shoot me up with insulin to knock it back down. Quelle horreur! I usually comply with directions, but originally had the presence of mind to smuggle in my meds and I was able to get by on their lunch meat, a few teaspoons of rice or potato, and illegal metformin.

Theie diet was a flashback to the 70s, complete with fake healthy margarine, healthy jello, sugary salad dressing, and uninformed nutritionist dogmatism. I even got a parting “heart healthy” diet pamphlet and an offer of further nutritional consultation.
tinamalone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tinamalone »

Thanks all! Great ideas! Hospitals are scary places for everyone, let alone an e4! The food there is a nightmare. Julie, your write-up on your experience is very helpful. I will definitely make sure none of my IVs contain any form of sugar - dextrose, glucose, whatever.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

tinamalone wrote:Hi all! I am having total shoulder replacement surgery this Thursday, in 3 days. Thanks for any assistance and ideas!
Hi Tinamalone, Such great suggestions and information! A couple of additional tidbits that helped me get through surgery last summer. I purchased and listened to https://healfaster.com/product/mp3-rela ... ructional/ prior to and following my surgery. Like you, I only became aware of it a few days before surgery but I am convinced it helped. You might also go to YouTube and search under "preparing for surgery meditation" and you will find several options of guided meditations.

I was able to use over-the-counter CBD oil to assist with the healing, without using stronger pain medication. My surgery was not as extensive as yours will be but it might be good to have some on hand to help when your post-operative pain becomes manageable.

Lastly, I have heard Drs. Bredesen and Hathaway talk about using Intravenous Therapy (Vitamin C and Meyers Cocktail) to support surgery, pre and post, and also Dr. Hathaway mentioned using IV Therapy to support an elderly female patient who came out of surgery with some confusion. While this type of therapy can be expensive it is good to map out a backup plan for your family in case of complications. Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD