Intermittent Fasting

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Brainstorming
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent Fasting

Post by Brainstorming »

“...if I could figure out which supplements I could take during the fasting window without degrading the quality of the fast.”

- this has been one of my questions. Bredesen recommends a LOT of supplements (plus others I’ve identified myself) and I need to spread them out. It’s challenging to fit them into the day without including some in my fasting window, especially when some are to be taken in a fasting state and others with food. Ideas about how people successfully juggle this is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Plumster »

I have three questions for the IF pros:
    Do tea, coffee, or water with lemon halt one's fasting enough that one should wait?
      What about water-soluble vitamins?
        Do you exercise while fasting and before eating? I see that it is beneficial for insulin sensitivity but I am wondering if it's a good idea longterm?
        e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
        MarcR
        Mod
        Mod

Post by MarcR »

I don't think tea, coffee, water with a slice of lemon, or water-soluble vitamins interrupt a fast.

Exercising while fasting depletes glycogen reserves in muscle tissue, In turn, those depleted tissues absorb excess blood glucose easily. This can reduce insulin secretion and limit damaging blood glucose excursions. I think it's all good news!
        Plumster
        Senior Contributor
        Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I don't think tea, coffee, water with a slice of lemon, or water-soluble vitamins interrupt a fast.

Exercising while fasting depletes glycogen reserves in muscle tissue, In turn, those depleted tissues absorb excess blood glucose easily. This can reduce insulin secretion and limit damaging blood glucose excursions. I think it's all good news!
        Thank you, MarcR, good to know!
        e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
        NewRon
        Senior Contributor
        Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Hmmm....I vaguely remember Rhonda Patrick saying recently that anything other than water wakes the pancreas and stops IF....
        Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
        TheresaB
        Mod
        Mod

Post by TheresaB »

NewRon wrote:Hmmm....I vaguely remember Rhonda Patrick saying recently that anything other than water wakes the pancreas and stops IF....
        But it stops it from doing what? I've also listened to the interviews Dr Rhonda Patrick conducted with circadian rhythm expert Dr Satchin Panda, and yes, from a circadian rhythm standpoint, coffee or other anything non caloric sends signals to the body but it doesn't tell the body to come to a full stop, the body is still increasing insulin sensitivity, experiencing autophagy, (listen to Dr Patrick's interview with Dr Guido Kroemer) and producing ketones (if insulin levels are low enough and keto adapted) thus burning energy more efficiently and enhancing mitochondrial health - all good things. So just because technically it may be stopping the IF, but don't let perfect get in the way of something very good.
        -Theresa
        ApoE 4/4
        NewRon
        Senior Contributor
        Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I see your point.

However, I think it's also important to be clear about the facts as we know them at this moment in time. There's a danger that with Chinese whispers, we end up in a situation where we accept that IF doesn't stop with other than water. Then we end up confusing everyone.

If I recall correctly from the GK interview (my memory's gone to hell, must join an Alzheimer's forum...), he specifically stated that they had no way of knowing when autophagy stopped or started. Additionally, most new people coming here won't be keto adapted, nor knowledgeable about fasting etc.

So, for the purposes of clarity, I think it's better to let the facts stand and then, as you have so eloquently done, add that making some effort towards fasting is better than none :)
        Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
        mike
        Senior Contributor
        Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

NewRon wrote:If I recall correctly from the GK interview (my memory's gone to hell, must join an Alzheimer's forum...), he specifically stated that they had no way of knowing when autophagy stopped or started. Additionally, most new people coming here won't be keto adapted, nor knowledgeable about fasting etc.
        From what I've read, autophagy is an ongoing process. You might speed it up by fasting, but it never actually stops or starts.
        Sonoma Mike
        4/4
        NewRon
        Senior Contributor
        Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Mike,

I don't know, but fast forward to 19mins 30 seconds and have a listen;

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/fo ... 7_8/?t=549
        Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
        mike
        Senior Contributor
        Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

An interesting podcast and a good background on autophagy, but a bit hard to stay awake after lunch with his accent and monotone delivery... :roll: Not sure where it said any different though.

Think of a cell like a laundromat with a bunch of washer and dryers that are constantly on. Over time, some of the equipment may stop working, and it gets fixed. At some point, there reaches a point where it is just too broken, with water gushing. Time to take that piece of equipment off line, and completely replace with a new model. This is autophagy as an ongoing process. Now let's say that I can't afford the electricity bill anymore, so I can either go belly up (cell dies), or I can try to lower my electricity by turning off some of my machines. In this case, the laundromat will choose the older machines using the most electricity. This is autophagy as a result of lack of supplies (glucose). Our cells will clean house of less efficient materials if they can to prevent cell death. You can induce more of this by going on a fast. The longer, the more it will happen. But in ApoE4 carriers, this process is probably going on decades prior to AD symptoms because of vascular issues. Autophagy being the first stop leading to hopefully Apoptosis (controlled death) of neurons, rather than uncontrolled death with a burst of toxics coming out or cells becoming senescent, where they continue to spew toxics over time.
        Sonoma Mike
        4/4