Very New Member

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
royce100
Contributor
Contributor

Very New Member

Post by royce100 »

I'm 70, 6 ft 3 in tall, 195 lb I live in Central Texas. I have had diabetes for decades and only use metformin and Glipizide plus diet lifestyle to control it. Via Dave Feldman, I seem to be a hyper-responder relative to cholesterol. After following some of Dr. Ford Brewer's work I saw that if I had an ApoE4 status that could answer some of my cholesterol questions - especially on a Keto diet. Then that ApoE4 rabbit hole opened up a whole new universe.
I have read, watched and understand Bredesen, Gundry, Brewer, etc., etc. I get the science.
I took a 23AndMe in 2009 and from what I can find it does not have a "good" take on my APOe4 status.
It did have that my Familial Hypercholesterolemia Type B was absent.
I thought this site would be helpful if deciphering my ApoE4 status. So far not. I see rs codes, gs codes, adenine (A), cytosine (C), guanine (G) and thymine and Prometheus only gives me rs7412 with a C:C but no rs429358 and no way to tell anything about it. Other folks talk about ApoE4 Positive vs ApoE4 Negative.
I have been all over 23AndMe, Ancestry, SNPedia, Prometheus and got the Rhonda Patrick report back in 2017. I get pieces of info but nothing that ever connects the dots and confirms my status.
If this forum does not address the best way to find your status then please let me know.
I did find out on this forum that the Ancestry DNA often misreports the rs429358 as T/T.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4785&p=54891&hilit= ... DNA#p54891
So good - now I know one place NOT to go to get an updated DNA test.
So, 4 questions:
(1) If my old 2009 chip 23AandMe raw data has it – where do I find what to search for.
(2) Are there “better” (likely more updated and accurate chips) test I can order today?
(3) What DNA vendor(s) are most often used successfully by forum members?
(4) Is there a thread here on HOW to find your status once you get your report?
Sorry for my terse post.
Very frustrated.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Very New Member

Post by Julie G »

1.) Use the Browse Raw Data tool on 23andMe, found on the dropdown menu under you profile once you're logged in. Plug in rs7412 to get your results.
2.) 23andMe is pretty accurate with the main problem being 15% of folks can't get a result due to "no calls" on the snips.
3.) See our Thinking about Testing article for ideas and implications.
4.) See our wiki article for If you want to check your E4 status.
royce100
Contributor
Contributor

Post by royce100 »

Ah - Thanks
The Wiki info was what I was missing.
The 23&Me Marker rs7412 has only Genomic Position 45412079 and My Genotype is "C/C", Chromosome 19.
Am I done? Does this tell me all I want to know?
I had thought that this was only "half" the story for me and that the missing info was because of my older 2009 data.
Is it OK if it just happens to be "missing" the rs429358 data?
AND when it displays the long list of my entire Chromosome 19 raw data - there is no ApoE's of any type nor an rs7412.
Should these dots connect?
I really appreciate your help on this.
If a more current DNA test would shed more light on my complete status, I want to get it.
Thanks again,
Royce
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

rs7412=C;C just tells you that you're e3/e3, e3/e4, or e4/e4. You need rs429358 for the whole story. If it's T;T, you're e3/e3. If it's C;T, you're e3/e4. If it's C;C, you're e4/e4.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

royce100 wrote:... I get pieces of info but nothing that ever connects the dots and confirms my status.
...Very frustrated.
Welcome, Royce! No need to apologize for valid frustration; it probably feels like you've been hitting your head against a wall in an effort to find out if the brain inside your head is still healthy!!

Julie G. and MarcR both gave you great advice. My only addition is based on the idea that you just want an answer, in a format that doesn't require Sherlock Holmes to follow the clues. It's possible that in 2009 23&me didn't test for rs429358.

So if you have money to spend, you have some options:
1. 23&me is now offering a reduced price of $169, instead of $ 199. through May 13 on the Health and Ancestry kit. The report comes back with very clear information, along with some qualifications on risk factors. My report, from several years ago, but downloaded again today, says very clearly "You have two copies of E 4".
2.Life Extension is also offering a reduced price on their "ApoE Genetic Test for Alzheimer’s and Cardiac Risk" for $ 111.75. Note that this is a blood test, which means you have to go to a local lab with the requisition they either email or mail to you (your choice). It also only tests for ApoE, not any of the other health reports on 23&me.

There may be other genetic tests out there; you may even have a doctor who would be willing to order it if you have high LDL. (Of course it would then be in your medical history, which you may want to avoid if you plan to apply for long-term care insurance.)
4/4 and still an optimist!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Julie G. and MarcR both gave you great advice. My only addition is based on the idea that you just want an answer, in a format that doesn't require Sherlock Holmes to follow the clues. It's possible that in 2009 23&me didn't test for rs429358.
Have you checked your raw data on 23andMe? That'll give you a definitive answer... unless you’re in the 15% with a "no call." I did my 23andMe testing in 2012 and both snips were reported then. Also, apologies for mixing up your snips. I mistakenly thought you already had rs429358.
dscoachRN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dscoachRN »

Wanted to add my welcome, Royce! Have the above given you what you were seeking? And how are you feeling having discovered more?

BTW, I'm a newer intern-- the Monday greeter. I applaud the steps you've already taken & your courage in seeking to understand.
If I can be of further support, don't hesitate to reach back,
dscoachRN
royce100
Contributor
Contributor

Post by royce100 »

NF52 - If 23&Me can give me all the ApoE info I need and "refresh" all my prior DNA data then for another $60 I will probably go with 23&Me. Life Extension changed its protocol on their ApoE Genetic Test for Alzheimer’s and Cardiac Risk - it is now a swab.
https://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins- ... rdiac-Risk
My interest today is for the correct diet relative to MY lipid metabolism first and a correct diet to avoid Alzheimers 2nd.
If I am a 4/4 then I'm sure they will overlap.
If I cannot get the 1st one figured out I won't live long enough to worry about the second!
My bet is the ApoE4/4 carriers fouled up lipid metabolism for decades can be the proximate cause for the AD getting the head start most other ApoE's don't have. I was doing a very strict very moderate protein Keto this last year and my CAC (Cardiac Artery Calcification) score still went up 18%. It's like playing "Whack A Mole" to try to stay healthy! ;-)

Julie G - Can a person just be "missing" the rs429358? The 23&me raw data and Prometheus both are blank on it via my 2009 data.

Thank you all for your help.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Julie G - Can a person just be "missing" the rs429358? The 23&me raw data and Prometheus both are blank on it via my 2009 data.
Yes. The 23andMe raw data feeds into Promethease, so if you’re missing it there, it won’t show up on Promethease. You are either in the 15% with a “no call” or the 2009 chip didn’t cover that snip. The 23andMe customer service team should be able to answer that question. Has anyone here received rs429358 info from that 2009 chip?
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Welcome, Royce!

I took the 23andMe test in 2014 and confirmed my E4 status by browsing through the raw data file. I just took a look at my account, and it shows I'm on the Version 4 chip. If you haven't looked as yet, you'll find it under the "Settings" tab for your account, but I'm guessing you're on the V2 chip. If you haven't already, you can contact the folks at 23andMe via phone/email with questions...may be worth a try to save you some time searching.

In the meantime, if you'd like to become more familiar with our community, we highly recommend our site Primer, written by a member practicing physician. In addition to being an outstanding resource for E4 carriers, much of the lifestyle discussion/strategies can be applied to non-carriers as well. For helpful tips on navigating our site more easily/effectively, check out our How-To-Guide.

I understand from your posts that your top priority is, understandably, finding a diet to help manage your lipid metabolism. In addition to the other resources you've used thus far, you may want to access our forum Search function (the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page), for extensive discussions on this topic.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forums, Royce. And please don't hesitate to follow up with additional questions at any time.
warmly, Lucy