URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Including yourself, how many people from your family do you think are likely to enroll?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am

2%
68%
24%
7%
No votes

Total votes: 119

CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: URGENT: Biomarker Study Opportunity for ApoE4.Info Members

Post by CarrieS »

OllieH wrote:I would like to enter this study along with my wife who has Alzheimer's.
Hello OllieH and welcome to the Community. You may have figured this out already but the poll closed on April 5. Please stay tuned for updates on the study and how to participate. I'm "following" this thread to make sure that I get notified when new information comes out. You can scroll down to the Options Tab and click on "Notify me when a reply is posted" to stay current. Since you are new to the Forums, a really handy resource in the Wiki is this "How To" guide. It's full of valuable information to help you learn to easily navigate the wealth of information that you can find here.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebS »

OllieH wrote:I would like to enter this study along with my wife who has Alzheimer's.
Welcome, OllieH! It is nice to see your post here. If you haven't yet found our primer, you may find it a good place to start for an overview and prioritized strategies. Our Wiki is a great source of information such as subscribing to threads, instructions on how to quote when you reply so the person to whom you are replying is notified by email of your response, and much more. We look forward to seeing your future posts.

Please feel free to ask any questions! We are happy to help.
Deb
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline
Justonemore
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Justonemore »

Is it available in my area of central coastal Florida?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Justonemore wrote:Is it available in my area of central coastal Florida?
The study has not yet been started and appears to be still in the development stage. The poll, which has closed, was a way to see what the interest might be among forum members. People who completed the poll are not bound to participate and people who didn't see or answer the poll would not be blocked from participating.

Since it appears that the study will be linked to local labs for testing and use of online record-keeping, it seems like sunny coastal Florida would be a great spot to participate!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Justonemore
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Justonemore »

Thanks for responding
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Having not had much time for the forum the last 15 months, I'm so happy to see all the 'new' people here ready to be so involved! :D

I'm interested as well, but I don't think I can spend the extra on the study since I spend so much on my supplements and high quality foods. A conundrum. I'll follow the thread and hope the cost is very minimal.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Azawakh1
New User
New User

Post by Azawakh1 »

Is it too late?
lamb chops
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lamb chops »

no, the study hasn't actually begun. Notification will come. You can mark this topic to get an email any time it's brought up on this thread so you are ahead of the curve
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

A new study, published by Dr. Goodenowe and team, demonstrates that high plasmalogen levels can counteract the effect of the E4 allele, essentially neutralizing our risk for Alzheimer’s.
Abstract: Using a community sample of 1205 elderly persons, we investigated the associations and potential interactions between Apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotype and serum phosphatidylethanolamine (PlsEtn) on cognition and dementia. For each person, APOE genotype, PlsEtn Biosynthesis value (PBV, the combination of three key PlsEtn species), cognition (the combination of five specific cognitive domains), and diagnosis of dementia was determined. APOE genotype and PBV were observed to be non-interacting (p > 0.05) and independently associated with cognition: APOE (relative to ε3ε3:ε2ε3 (Coef = 0.14, p = 4.2 × 10−2); ε3ε4/ε4ε4 (Coef = −0.22, p = 6.2 × 10−5); PBV (Coef = 0.12, p = 1.7 × 10−7) and dementia: APOE (relative to ε3ε3:ε2ε3 (Odds Ratio OR = 0.44, p = 3.0 × 10−2); ε3ε4/ε4ε4 (OR = 2.1, p = 2.2 × 10−4)); PBV (OR = 0.61, p = 3.3 × 10−6). Associations are expressed per standard deviation (SD) and adjusted for serum lipids and demographics. Due to the independent and non-interacting nature of the APOE and PBV associations, the prevalence of dementia in APOE ε3ε4/ε4ε4 persons with high PBV values (>1 SD from mean) was observed to be the same as APOE ε3ε3 persons (14.3% versus 14.0%). Similarly, the prevalence of dementia in APOE ε3ε3 persons with high PBV values was only 5.7% versus 6.7% for APOE ε2ε3 persons. The results of these analyses indicate that the net effect of APOE genotype on cognition and the prevalence of dementia is dependent upon the plasmalogen status of the person.
Plasmalogen levels are modifiable and appear to track closely with TC:HDL ratios. Our proposed biomarker study will enable us to monitor all of the biomarkers utilized in this paper, plus give us access to a plasmalogen precursor supplement that raises levels. I’m hopeful that the NIH will see value in approving a grant that will help us move forward…
goodenowe_2019_relation of serum plasmalogens and apoe to cognition and dementia.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

Azawakh1 wrote:Is it too late?
Welcome to the to the Apoe4.info community Azawakh! Great to hear you are interested in participating in the Biomarker study!

If you haven’t checked it out already, the primer, however if you haven’t yet, it’s a great place to learn about the resources available on this site. It was authored by a member physician who also carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele. It is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. Additionally, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members and to share with fellow members a little bit about your own story.

Welcome and please don’t hesitate to ask questions.
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)