Exercise-Very Encouraging Study. What is your Exercise Prescription?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Michae_M
Contributor
Contributor

Exercise-Very Encouraging Study. What is your Exercise Prescription?

Post by Michae_M »

This report is VERY good news for all APOE4 carries, both symptomatic and asymptomatic, and needs to be taken very seriously.

Patients with Alzheimer's disease who carry the APOE ε4 allele benefit more from physical exercise
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6461575/
Research in context
1.Systematic review: Review of the literature shows self-reported physical activity is associated with better cognitive and physical performance in healthy elderly who carry the APOE ε4 allele.
2.Interpretation: In a post hoc analysis of a large multicenter study, we find that patients with Alzheimer's disease who carry the APOE ε4 allele benefit more from an exercise intervention on cognitive, neuropsychiatric, and physical measures compared to patients with Alzheimer's disease who do not carry the APOE ε4 allele.
3.Future directions: These results need to be validated in larger studies. If positive, this knowledge could greatly impact the clinical management of Alzheimer's disease.
I would be interested to know what others are doing to optimize their exercise prescription.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Exercise-Very Encouraging Study. What is your Exercise Prescription?

Post by donbob »

Male 71 years in age. Weight training daily, with sufficient rest days for individual muscle groups. Daily cardio at high heart rate. Six yoga classes per week. Accomplish most home maintenance for my and my mother’s homes. Outdoor swimming one hour laps for 10 weeks in the summer when the pool is open.
DonBob
e3e4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Wow. Nice donbob!

Male 47. 5k run 3x week. Plus 45-60 minutes of walking most days. Light lifting 2x week. I used to be a bit more serious but slacked off some over the winter.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

You guys are an inspiration, but most can not approach what you guys are doing. What folks need to realize is that you don't need to do as much as this to get benefit. The first mile you walk provides more benefit than the 5th mile. The first step you take is the most important. You need to evaluate where you are now, and with your doctor's support, figure out how to increase it incrementally. If you don't do it now, start by going on 10-15 minute walks. If you are already taking small walks, try to make them longer, or more uphill, etc. Exercise is key in this battle, but be careful not to try too much at once. Pace yourself and build up.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

I am female, 79 years. I enjoy a 30 minute walk daily as a minimum. I have a daily yoga am routine and I include 20 pushups. I attend weight-strength 1 hour class 2-3 times/week, I play raquetball or pickleball as often as possible. In summer and fall I golf, no cart, 2 times/week. My husband and I enjoy dancing and belong to a hiking group. Exercise is the best part of this whole program for me!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I'm nearly 64, male. I start the day with 15 minutes of yoga before meditation, do bodyweight exercises on many days. This can be TRX (suspension trainer) Military Fitness, routines from Convict Conditioning (book) , You Are Your Own Gym (book), jump rope many days (even in airports when traveling), every week or so will do a super slow workout at the gym (Body by Science book) followed by Tabatas (8x 20 seconds as hard as possible 10 seconds easy) on the fan rower. I also try to do as many of my workouts outside with as few clothes on as possible. In season I alpine ski and rock climb again with few clothes on. I ended up with afib 15 years ago and my path was chronic fitness from endurance exercise, so I have a subjective limit that I don't exceed (generally it is the combination of intensity times duration that is the trigger) to stay in afib remission (along with Mg++, K+ electrolyte consumption). I also walk and take opportunities when presented. For example, last week was staying in a complex on the 7th floor. Made it a point to always take the outside stairs.
Tincup
E3,E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I've read there are different separate benefits with HIIT, moderate exercise and endurance excercise for BDNF and mitochondria. My guess is try to fit in all 3 to be optimal, but I have no idea of the perfect way to mix it up ...
E3/E4
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

I'm a 66 y/o woman, life-long high intensity aerobic exerciser gradually decreasing max heart rate with age. Currently I swim outside 2-3 times a week for ~50 minutes, spin class 2-3 times week and a 30 minute on the row machine or stepper for 42 minutes. Because of chronic arthritic knees, I can no longer run and my walks are slow, limited to 3-4 miles.

My 101 y/o mom still exercises three times a week. She is a testimony to the benefits of earlier in her life of constant moving, yoga, dance classes and walking dogs. She has me beat, as I'm only walking the cat a few blocks!
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

Tincup wrote:....Tabatas (8x 20 seconds as hard as possible 10 seconds easy) on the fan rower.....
Tabatas are killers. I tried those on the Concept2 rower with the ‘drop below’ threshold of 300 watts. I drop below(that is I can no longer pull 300 watts) after three cycles. Eight cycles is quite the accomplishment. Compliments to you sir. In our life game, HIIT is a good practice. I need to get back to the HIIT habit.
DonBob
e3e4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

donbob wrote:
Tincup wrote:....Tabatas (8x 20 seconds as hard as possible 10 seconds easy) on the fan rower.....
Tabatas are killers. I tried those on the Concept2 rower with the ‘drop below’ threshold of 300 watts. I drop below(that is I can no longer pull 300 watts) after three cycles.
Yes, I use a Concept 2 at the rec center and this is my most common machine. I normally try to see how many meters I can row in the 4 minutes. I've not paid attention to the watts, though that makes sense. Interestingly, I have a 25 year old Schwinn Airdyne fan bike at home. I use total calories as the metric on it (not that they are meaningful as calories, just as accumulated work that is consistent from one workout to the next). I find it is more grueling than the Concept 2 or the Schwinn fan rower I have at home. At least online, it seems common that the Schwinn (or newer Assault) fan bikes are very grueling. Not sure why, but I concur. I used to do running sprints, but pulled a glute muscle doing them 7 years ago, so find the rower or the bike less likely to create an injury for me.
Tincup
E3,E4