E4s Have Earlier Menopause Onset?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SoccerMom
Contributor
Contributor

Re: E4s Have Earlier Menopause Onset?

Post by SoccerMom »

My mother is 4/4 and had periods until she was 57. Definitely not early!
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I had chemotherapy for breast cancer when I was 43 so I never had another period.
e4/e4 age 82
Starfish
Veero
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Veero »

4/4, 52, and although periods are shorter and lighter they are still regular.
EDIT: I was a late February baby.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I was 55 years old. 4/4
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat111 »

Yes, Apoe4/4. Through menopause by time i was 45.
Cat111
ApoE 4/4
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Not for me. I'm 55 and haven't reached menopause yet.
cbow
New User
New User

Post by cbow »

Apoe 4/4 and I was either 48 or 49...can't remember! But, I'm almost 52 and still dealing with menopausal symptoms and am only on a low dose of estrogen. I am new here, so I just need to ask if I should be on more HRT. Are there studies that show we need more than just estrogen replacement? Does this help us stave off AD in the long run? My mother had a hysterectomy in her mid 30's(after me!), but she had AD and started really declining in her 70's.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Apoe 4/4 and I was either 48 or 49...can't remember! But, I'm almost 52 and still dealing with menopausal symptoms and am only on a low dose of estrogen. I am new here, so I just need to ask if I should be on more HRT. Are there studies that show we need more than just estrogen replacement? Does this help us stave off AD in the long run? My mother had a hysterectomy in her mid 30's(after me!), but she had AD and started really declining in her 70's.
Hi! There's a long thread dedicated to the subject, I believe it is in the Prevention section and called something like hormone replacement therapy.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

cbow wrote:Apoe 4/4 and I was either 48 or 49...can't remember! But, I'm almost 52 and still dealing with menopausal symptoms and am only on a low dose of estrogen. I am new here, so I just need to ask if I should be on more HRT. Are there studies that show we need more than just estrogen replacement? Does this help us stave off AD in the long run? My mother had a hysterectomy in her mid 30's(after me!), but she had AD and started really declining in her 70's.
Hi Carol,

I noticed your first post and thought that you and I have a lot in common!! I too have ApoE 4/4. Fifteen years ago I was 52 was on the cusp of menopause. Because I didn't have hot flashes or other obvious symptoms, and because the research then suggested HRT was a terrible idea (even though I was hoping to get it to avoid a family history of osteoporosis), it wasn't an option then. As "plumster" suggested, this forum is a gold mine of information on most questions you might have. The trick is to find the gold! Here's a start, the "conversation" on HRT that has been going on since 2013, sorted by most recent to earliest. (Usually searches come up with the earliest topic first, but if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can "sort" by "descending" order, versus the default "ascending" order.

HRT

A great resource to use the forum, quote members so they get notified of your replies, use the search function, subscribe to topics, etc. is this: "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

And I'll also add a few words of encouragement: At 52, I also could not lose weight; or more accurately, I lost the same 3 lbs 50 times!. I was also under lots of stress, sleeping poorly due to perimenopause (less recognized back then). So my gentle advice is this: As Coach MT said, be as kind to yourself as you are with others. Remind yourself that you have many genes that your father's aunts did not have that may protect you from Alzheimer's. (You probably have somewhere between 2-12% of their genes, judging from how many genes I share my 2nd-3rd degree relatives on 23 & me.)

Focus on things that are easier:
1. Recent evidence strongly supports the benefit of moderate exercise 3 times a week (walking for 30 minutes at a brisk pace) will help your brain for decades. Walking outside, and in a greenspace (even in a city there are usually parks) has also been shown to significant;y improve mood.

2. Try a Mediterranean diet, with the emphasis on unprocessed vegetables, small amounts of berries and other fruits, and small amounts of protein. Many people here follow a keto diet, but it might be easier to move towards a plan that also has strong evidence of benefit and is a less drastic switch.

3. It's easy on the Atkins diet to get too much protein, especially for those of us who are short! That can also slow or stop weight loss. Using a Cronometer app, which is free, can help you track how your nutrients stack up against recommended targets for your own height, weight and goals.

4. Dr. Bredesen's suggestion for 3/12 eating (ending eating 3 hours before bedtime and going 12 hours between dinner and breakfast) helps re-tool our bodies to burn fuel while we're sleeping and wake up without craving carb-heavy breakfasts.

5. As someone who worked with adolescents with mental health issues and has those own issues in my family, take heart. Adolescence is a rollercoaster, without the life experience that helps us through menopause. Remind yourself and your daughter that she is working hard to help herself, that her body and brain are resourceful and that many people find it gets easier to manage mood changes once they get into their 20's. No point worrying her or you about those cancer stories, anymore that you would worry her about an ancestor who died picking edelweiss on a mountain. (My mother did that, and I now find myself warning people at the Grand Canyon to get away from the edge!)

6. You live in a state with wonderful people and great research centers, Carol. You and your siblings can chart your journeys with better maps than your parents' generation. Find time for joy in the journey.

Hugs from a 4/4 "sister" in Virginia.
4/4 and still an optimist!
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

I'm 49 y.o. and maybe flow has gotten less heavy (I have heavy periods) but I don't believe I've entered menopause yet.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none