Ketone meters

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Laddvan
Contributor
Contributor

Ketone meters

Post by Laddvan »

Any recommendations from the group on ketone meters? I'm several months into discovering my 4/4 status (asymptomatic currently) and am in process of adopting multiple lifestyle and nutrition changes including but not limited to intermittent fasting. Several references mention the benefits of using a ketone meter at home to monitor ketone status. It seems there are many options out there - breath, blood, urine, with and without glucose. Does anyone have experience with using a ketone meter and if it was helpful? if so, would also appreciate any product recommendations. Thanks so much!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Ketone meters

Post by TheresaB »

Our wiki on ketosis has a nice discussion of the three means of measuring ketones, they each have pros and cons. Ketosis and Ketogenic Diet

I personally use a Keto-Mojo, have had it about 1.5 years, since it came out and have been very pleased with it, it can measure both glucose and ketones and the strips are cheaper than the Abbott Precision X-tra.

We also have a search function for these forums and ketone meters have been discussed many times in the past. When I typed "ketone meter" into the search box, I got 222 hits, here's the link: search.php?keywords=ketone+meter&terms= ... mit=Search
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

Hi Laddvan,
I hope TheresaB helped answer your question. I would just like to also welcome you to our website, I see you joined a few weeks ago and hope you are navigating around. In case you haven't found it yet, we always recommend the Primer as a great place to start and find more about your 4/4 status. As a community I feel that most questions have already been answered so please just use the search engines in the Forum and Wiki to see what comes up. We would love to hear more about your journey - if you want to share just follow this link Our Stories. Welcome again, SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

I'm planning to buy one in the next few weeks as well. I mostly hear about the Keto Mojo, but am looking at another one with the same price but more Ketone strips that's based in Menlo Park, CA (but I currently can't find it on Amazon again). The benefit of Keto Mojo though is that they have a lifetime guarantee.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

I use Abbott Precision. Everyone seems to say that Keto Mojo strips are cheaper, but I don't see that or understand. You can get strips on amazon or ebay at $1.00/ea or less.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

aphorist wrote:I use Abbott Precision. Everyone seems to say that Keto Mojo strips are cheaper, but I don't see that or understand. You can get strips on amazon or ebay at $1.00/ea or less.
This was not true prior to Sept 2017 when the Keto Mojo shipped - I have both machines. Back then, I'd order strips on eBay from Australia (to the US). They are still Abbott strips, but are branded differently in Oz. An Amazon search confirms your post.

I support the KM, even now as I know people approached Abbott a number of years ago about reducing their price in the US to support the Keto diet folks. They declined. The KM owner mortgaged his house to develop a lower cost option, so I will buy from KM rather than Abbott strips.
Tincup
E3,E4
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

Tincup wrote:
aphorist wrote:I use Abbott Precision. Everyone seems to say that Keto Mojo strips are cheaper, but I don't see that or understand. You can get strips on amazon or ebay at $1.00/ea or less.
This was not true prior to Sept 2017 when the Keto Mojo shipped - I have both machines. Back then, I'd order strips on eBay from Australia (to the US). They are still Abbott strips, but are branded differently in Oz. An Amazon search confirms your post.

I support the KM, even now as I know people approached Abbott a number of years ago about reducing their price in the US to support the Keto diet folks. They declined. The KM owner mortgaged his house to develop a lower cost option, so I will buy from KM rather than Abbott strips.
That's a good idea to search for Ketone strips on eBay :idea:
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

thjj wrote:That's a good idea to search for Ketone strips on eBay :idea:
I get glucometer and ketone strips off Ebay at fairly cheap prices.

I'm not sure exactly where these strips are coming from, in the case of certain vendors. I know there is some kind of underground black market for medicaid diabetes patients where they get full priced glucose meter strips billed through gov't medicaid, then turn around and sell them on Ebay instead of using them for their own treatment. Also there are some distributors that seem to just sell them in high volume at low prices, rather than engage in insurance/medicaid/medicare billing.

I always seem to come out ahead when going through Ebay.
Michae_M
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Michae_M »

Here is a new device on the market. Just heard about the "Keyto" breath analyzer with associated app. I think this will be a leap forward.
Developed by Ethan Weiss, M.D at UCSF.

www.getkeyto.com.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Michae_M wrote:Here is a new device on the market. Just heard about the "Keyto" breath analyzer with associated app. I think this will be a leap forward.
I heard the podcast with the inventor and Dr. Peter Attia. Looked it up and saw it was a whole program, and couldn’t figure out if u need to buy refills or other supplies or is it just diet material that makes it monthly. Has anyone sorted that out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA