positive or negative experiences with Ashwaganda

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Brainz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: positive or negative experiences with Ashwaganda

Post by Brainz »

I've not looked into the research regarding nightshades and AD and would defer to others that might have. I know Gundry believes that many are sensitive to them and my personal experience seems to confirm a histamine-type response - - it's subtle: increased itchiness and sinus issues. I have no idea what that means other than increase potential for inflammation (and generally not feeling as well as if I just avoid them).
komatta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by komatta »

Brainz wrote:I've not looked into the research regarding nightshades and AD and would defer to others that might have. I know Gundry believes that many are sensitive to them and my personal experience seems to confirm a histamine-type response - - it's subtle: increased itchiness and sinus issues. I have no idea what that means other than increase potential for inflammation (and generally not feeling as well as if I just avoid them).
Thanks for the info.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

I took the recommended dosage of Ashwaganda from Dr. Bredesen's book till I ran out, and I couldn't really tell if it helped with stress/anxiety nor mental acuity. But I kept taking it bc at least it didn't have negative side effects that some of the other herbs Dr. B recommended. I'd have to say that the experience was neutral in retrospect, that's why I didn't continue it. TBH, none of the herbs that I tried from Dr. B's book helped, but then again, I tend to be drug-resistant when it comes to psychotropic-type drugs.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
komatta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by komatta »

Thanks for your input, THJJ
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

I went back and double-checked my notes (I took notes on the herbs that I tried). I tried double-dosage since Ashwaganda wasn't having any effect, and stopped bc I was getting bad dreams. That, and any L-tryptophan-related herbs (e.g. 5-HTP especially!) give me bad dreams.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
SarahB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SarahB »

I've used it for some time now in combo with tryptophan, theonine and melatonin as a sleep aid. Works well with no side effects.