determination of relative mold species and remediation

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
lamb chops
Contributor
Contributor

determination of relative mold species and remediation

Post by lamb chops »

It was determined I was allergic to some molds many years ago when I was in my 20s and took injections for several years which alleviated the problem for several years. The problem seemed to disappear for a long while. Fast forward 40+ years and, of course, I have a haplotype that says I have high susceptibility to biotoxins from molds. We had sample submitted for analysis and the result was "high relative moldiness index." My functional doctor 'in training' ( a chiropractor by trade) gave me 3 companies in the area for 'defogging.' I don't see him again for a week and thought it out after my appointment and came up with this below.

If the source cannot be eliminated then I would presume that the defogging would only alleviate the situation for a short term since the moisture would recreate the original situation. Hence, my question, what type of professional or group knows how to search for the source or sources of these molds, before defogging?
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: determination of relative mold species and remediation

Post by PRESCOTT »

We had mold testing done at our 1920s vintage house in Western Massachusetts in the past month. Results showed very low levels throughout, from our basement to the third floor. The tester was somewhat helpful and mentioned defogging in the basement. He stressed the importance of mold testing the exterior areas surrounding the house, which he did. He did say that mold transports into the house via open windows, normal air movement, etc. leaving us with the feeling of attempting to solve some sort of tricky riddle. We do have a few very good air purifiers, at least one per floor, a humidistat, air purifier and dehumidifiers in our dry, by New England standards, basement. We will attempt to empty the basement this Summer, clean contents as best we can with appropriate cleaners, wash the basement, get rid of all that is “past due”, ie. Junk, a debatable topic, not unlike politics these days, on and on. I suggested we burn the house down, move to Snowflake, AZ., build an air sealed aluminum sheathed house, enjoy the dry air.

All kidding aside, we plan to call in another mold person, pay for a consult to review the test results , formulate a plan based on the various thoughts of both mold advisors. In our case, it appears that the air purifiers, dehumidifiers and basement cleanup may address the issue. My reoccurring thoughts are how does one fight the tide, so to speak, at least in New England, with the rain, humidity, trees, and foliage? I will post more as we learn more.

I hope all of this is of some use, I too would love to hear more on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

It's my understanding you need to be sure to have a mold testing and remediation company that really understands mold illness, and that not all of them do and some take shortcuts. You might wish to seek a referral from a practitioner specializing in mold illness if you haven't yet.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I believe an ERMI test is best?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
lamb chops
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lamb chops »

I did an ERMI test and it showed high relative. Haven't checked on the referrals I was given to see how much they know, which I will now do.

I had thought of the basement cleanup, and Prescott, I will put that forward. My husband is also on the " move out to a sunny, dry place" maybe Joking, or maybe not.

I left a message with my practitioner about qualifications of the referrals and I wil speak with them tomorrow, as well.

Any other input, people?
PRESCOTT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PRESCOTT »

We started with the ERMI test, positive for mild results. Found a local company that conducted a Mold Report through EMLab P&K. The test at our house included taking air samples, 1 from the exterior of the house in a dry day, 1 one on each floor of the house, 1 in the basement of the house. Mold Report sent a detailed report showing Low Ranges for all areas. The report does provide explanation and context. I discussed the test results with the local test person. The discussion was vague, humidity and temperatures vary greatly here in New England, variables change. Using dehumidifiers in conjunction with humidistats is useful, as well as air purifiers. Bathroom and kitchen vent fans, exhausted to the exterior are useful. We do plan to consult with another mold remediation person. The vagaries of all of this has to do with best practices, as well as remediation of critical causes, continuously wet and damp conditions, such as basements, vegetation growing in close proximity to the house, unvented bathrooms, cooking areas, indoor/ outdoor pets, old dirty carpets, on and on.

The local company, which conducts testing only, was useful to determine conditions, but was not clear on what to do with the results, which were quite mild. I believe liability is a big motivation in the vague responses. Hopefully, another review of the report will be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

I listened to a mold summit a few weeks ago and learned about this alternative to ERMI testing.
https://www.gotmold.com/
The summit itself seemed to be high quality and the owner of Got Mold was one of the presenters.
Just passing it along as a resource; I have no experience with this
company.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

I looked at the Got Mold product. It performs air testing of mold, which includes mold and mold spores. It was not clear to me which specific molds were tested in the Got Mold, but I didn't spend much time looking either!

Dr Bredesen recommends mold testing and remediation based on Dr Richie Shoemaker's approach. The ERMI test looks at mold DNA, so includes mold fragments in addition to mold and mold spores. Mold fragments are thought to also create mold toxins, contributing to total toxic load. The fragments are smaller than what is filtered through a standard HEPA.

All of this is very controversial IMHO, with real life experience with a diagnosis of CIRS (Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome - not a diagnosis accepted by conventional western medicine) and a failed remediation. Traditional remediators do not accept the ERMI testing approach. If one does not have CIRS, or a genetic susceptibility to mold toxins, the traditional approach to mold testing and remediation may be adequate.
Slacker
E4/E4
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Anyone have a comment for using activated charcoal for mold issues? There are a number of these products that you just leave in a room and orders etc disappear. Would this help with mold?
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

Activated charcoal may adsorb some of the toxins and spores but only minimally. I would never depend on a bag of charcoal.
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman