High Blood Pressure related to HRT?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
goldenlvr
Contributor
Contributor

High Blood Pressure related to HRT?

Post by goldenlvr »

Greetings! I have tried the search option but can find very little regarding this topic. I have been on a blood pressure med (Lisinopril 10mg) for 13 years and it has been well-controlled. After 3 months of BHRT, my last 3 BP readings have been high. One was 153/70 and today at my internist it was 146/XX. ( I just heard 146!! and missed the lower number). I have also been having weird heart rhythms and a general tightness in my chest which I thought was stress. I had an ablation 13 years ago for afib with no problems since.

The Doctor today did not find anything off. I had a stress test and EKG two months ago with no problems detected. I am going to contact my functional medical doctor today, who prescribed the BHRT, but wondered if anyone else has experienced elevated BP with hormone replacement therapy.

Jeanne E4/E4
Last edited by goldenlvr on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High Blood Pressure related to HRT?

Post by slacker »

This is an old article, but the forms of estrogen in use currently are the same. The abstract of the article indicates that oral estrogen can mildly elevate systolic blood pressure, while transdermal estrogen can lower it slightly. I couldn't find any information on high blood pressure and prometrium (progesterone) with a quick google search. There are other forms of progesterone, but FM doctors usually use prometrium or its generic.

Definitely talk with the provider that is prescribing your HRT.
Slacker
E4/E4
goldenlvr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by goldenlvr »

Thank you for the replies. I am using transdermal estrogen and microoonized progesterone. So still wondering what’s up. I will post when I get an answer from the doctor.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Back in 2003, the Women's Initiative Study results pointed towards cardiovascular risks for older women starting estrogen and progesterone (this was the synthetic version). The criticism of the study was that hormones were started to women over age 60, years post-menopause, hence most likely already had ongoing atherosclerosis. As someone who has ongoing hypertension, I check my home measurements, take a low-dose (0.025 transdermal estradiol and 100mg micronized progesterone (Prometrium) and had a baseline coronary calcium scan.
goldenlvr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by goldenlvr »

:D Thanks Katie. I had blood drawn today for a repeat thyroid panel as my functional med doctor thinks the Armour thyroid dosage may be too high. I will get blood drawn next week for hormone check. I only have one good vein so I have to give it a rest :D
Goldenmom
New User
New User

Post by Goldenmom »

Did you find anything out from bloodwork? I've just started HRT 5 months ago and seen a jump in BP. However, I'm in the beginning stages of menopause at 49 so my BP had actually been rising before I started but seemed so go down when I first started but now rising. ??
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi goldenmom and welcome!
goldenmom wrote: Did you find anything out from bloodwork? I've just started HRT 5 months ago and seen a jump in BP. However, I'm in the beginning stages of menopause at 49 so my BP had actually been rising before I started but seemed so go down when I first started but now rising. ??
Earlier in this thread one of our members, slacker, referenced a 2006 PubMed article you might find interesting. It suggests that oral estrogen may slightly elevate systolic BP, while transdermal estrogen may lower it somewhat. But of course, this is something you should discuss further with your physician.

As you’re new here, we recommend our site Primer as a great way to learn more about our ApoE4 community along with our focus on lifestyle strategies to maintain health and wellbeing. It includes a section on HRT as does our Wiki. You can also search our forums for topics of interest to you (such as HRT and blood pressure) by accessing the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page. Our wiki How-to-Guide offers some great tips to help members navigate our site more easily.

goldenmom, please don’t hesitate to continuing asking questions as they come up,!
warmly, Lucy