New Member, Sydney Australia

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

New Member, Sydney Australia

Post by johnseed »

Hi, my name is John Seed, I'm 73 years old with a 5 year old son, (lots of skin in the game!) Been noticing some cognitive impairment , especially memory, for more than 10 years and this year finally made the decision to leave my old ways behind and spend this year creating a new lifestyle and habits most likely to allow decades of vibrant cognitive and physical health.

I've started on the Bredesen Protocol tests and have discovered, among other smoking guns, one APOe4 allele (E4/E2). Probably from my mother who died with dementia (though not diagnosed till she was in her mid 80's). Hence my presence among you on this beautiful site.

Not sure of the right forum to post this, (maybe someone could advise me?) ...

I've stopped eating sugar, grains and dairy for 3 months now and starting to work on further dietary changes, I've been studying http://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Fats,_Omega_ ... 89-6),_DHA_and_More and found:

" A note about Canola Oil. Despite a low 2:1 Omega-6 to Omega 3 ratio it has often been categorized as one of the “bad” inflammatory oils. This is because:
90% of the product is genetically modified
Canola is a refined oil that’s often partially hydrogenated to increase its stability, which increases negative health effects
For more information, read Stop Using Canola Oil Immediately! 6 Canola Oil Dangers"

https://www.edwardsoil.com.au/ here in Australia produce a cold-pressed, unrefined, chemical-free, non-gmo canola oil.

Given the excellent Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, are there any science-based reasons to avoid this?
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member, Sydney Australia

Post by CoachMT »

johnseed wrote:Hi, my name is John Seed, I'm 73 years old with a 5 year old son, (lots of skin in the game!) Been noticing some cognitive impairment , especially memory, for more than 10 years and this year finally made the decision to leave my old ways behind and spend this year creating a new lifestyle and habits most likely to allow decades of vibrant cognitive and physical health.

I've started on the Bredesen Protocol tests and have discovered, among other smoking guns, one APOe4 allele (E4/E2). Probably from my mother who died with dementia (though not diagnosed till she was in her mid 80's). Hence my presence among you on this beautiful site.

Not sure of the right forum to post this, (maybe someone could advise me?) ...

I've stopped eating sugar, grains and dairy for 3 months now and starting to work on further dietary changes, I've been studying http://www.apoe4.info/wiki/Fats,_Omega_ ... 89-6),_DHA_and_More and found:

" A note about Canola Oil. Despite a low 2:1 Omega-6 to Omega 3 ratio it has often been categorized as one of the “bad” inflammatory oils. This is because:
90% of the product is genetically modified
Canola is a refined oil that’s often partially hydrogenated to increase its stability, which increases negative health effects
For more information, read Stop Using Canola Oil Immediately! 6 Canola Oil Dangers"

https://www.edwardsoil.com.au/ here in Australia produce a cold-pressed, unrefined, chemical-free, non-gmo canola oil.

Given the excellent Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, are there any science-based reasons to avoid this?
Hi johnseed- Welcome to the ApoE4 community and kudos to you for proactively taking steps to change your habits and adopt healthy life style habits. Taking the Bredesen Protocol tests and eliminating sugar, grains and dairy for the past 3 months is a testament to your conviction and self-regulation- great job! As you shared, what a difference it makes to have family to motivate changing old habits!

As you'll learn on this site and in thread dialogues with members, genes are not our destiny; we have the ability to turn them on and off. The lifestyle choices you are making right now can support you in living a long and vibrant life! The more you browse the forum and read posts, you will see many stories about ApoE4.info members who carry 2 of the Apoe4 alleles (E4/E4) and they are living vibrant, full lives without experiencing symptoms of cognitive decline- so very positive!

Regarding your question about your healthy Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio; I'll defer to others more familiar with the research on the best oils. In the meantime, here is the link to eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients that references various components of diet and healthy fats.

Additionally, if you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great place to learn about the resources available on the ApoE4.info site that you may want to incorporate into your own learning journey. Additionally, we’d love to hear your story! We invite you to check out the Our Stories forum to share your own story and learn about fellow members. Welcome!

Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

johnseed wrote: https://www.edwardsoil.com.au/ here in Australia produce a cold-pressed, unrefined, chemical-free, non-gmo canola oil.

Hi John, Excellent that you are taking charge of your health and making changes to support your long term well-being. Mandy has already directed you to some good resources on the site. I wish I could give you a definitive answer to your questions about canola oil. In addition to looking at the link you provided I read up on canola oil. Certainly not an exhaustive search, but I now know much more about canola oil than I did before your question.
Harvard University’s take on canola oil is that the problems often associated with it are connected to the refining process which usually involves both hexane and heat. The product you linked to does not share those problems. As to your statement that the canola oil from this company is non-GMO, that raises a few questions:
Rapeseed, which was used to produce an oil in the 50’s(?) has a high level of a chemical that was thought to be harmful. The Canadians then created Canola Oil (hence the name) according to what I read, and that seems to have been done by genetic modification.

GMO’s are controversial, with some people regarding them as both safe and the only hope of feeding mankind and others regarding them as risky foods that have been dumped into the food chain with insufficient study of whether it is safe to consume them.

You’ll have to make your decision on GMO’s. Other than that, the product you have access to avoids the non-healthy components of most canola oils.

Now my own personal concern based on my own experience and no research: Their website indicates that both the filtered and unfiltered oils can be used for high temperature cooking. I would definitely read up more on that if I were going to use it for cooking. My impression is that most oils that are not refined have lower smoke points and should not be used for high temp cooking. For example, the filtered/refined avocado oil I use for cooking specifically says High Heat on the label, whereas the unrefined avocado oil from the same company does not claim to be stable at high heat. I pour that one over salads , and over veggies post-cooking.

Best wishes,
Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnseed »

Thanks so much for your welcome and help Mandy and Maria.

Thanks for your thoughts on Canola Oil Maria. Sparked by your reply I did a bit more research and found the following:

" Canola was developed using traditional plant breeding techniques, so it was not developed using biotechnology. However, about 80% of the canola grown in Canada has now been modified using biotechnology to make it tolerant to some herbicides. Using these specific herbicides has reduced the amount of chemical needed for weed control in the fields.

Remember - the canola plant has been modified, not the oil. So canola oil from the herbicide tolerant plant is exactly the same safe and healthy oil as canola oil from conventional plants. The modification has been made to only one canola gene and it is a protein. Processing removes all proteins from canola oil. That means canola oil made from GM seed is conventional canola oil."

https://www.canolacouncil.org/oil-and-m ... ngineering

So ... unless I get further information from you or others on this forum, it sounds like this Australian oil will become part of my diet.

Thanks for the info about high temp cooking. I'll write to the company and ask them for clarification and will post their reply here (in case there are any other Aussies watching this space).

John
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

johnseed wrote: Thanks for your thoughts on Canola Oil Maria. Sparked by your reply I did a bit more research and found the following: ...
John
Thanks for sharing your further research. We sparked each other to learn more about canola. It is interesting that it developed using traditional breeding, then modified to be “RoundUp Ready”.
It is an interesting point that the modification is in a protein only , and would therefore not affect the oil.
Good digging!
Please post when you hear back about the high heat question. I’ll be eager to find out what you learn.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

johnseed wrote:...
So ... unless I get further information from you or others on this forum, it sounds like this Australian oil will become part of my diet.

Thanks for the info about high temp cooking. I'll write to the company and ask them for clarification and will post their reply here (in case there are any other Aussies watching this space).
John
Welcome, John and thanks for offering to post information for other Aussies (and those who like to order from Australia!)

I thought it might be helpful to run a Search ,using the magnifying glass in the upper right by my user name, for "Australia". A fair number of people from Australia have joined this forum. We now have a category called Meet-Ups to support members who might want to do topical or regional meetings either in person or using our virtual "conference room". Here's an explanation of how it can work:
Welcome to Our Meet-Up Forum. We have recently had multiple meet-ups of folks in Seattle, Washington ranging in age from early 20's to mid-80's. Given that Australia earns the forum prize as "only country that is also a continent", we thought it would be fun to at least virtually "introduce" you all to each other, by using the "quote" function. All of these people have posted at least once; some may not have been active in quite a while.

It's totally up to each of you whether you respond to this just to say "Yes, I am in NSW also" or "Looking to meet for coffee in Brisbane" or just shake your head at this nervy American. (Whose ancestors started out in the same places as most Aussies.)

Here goes the list of Australians:
SarahB wrote:
Shine wrote:
Spiderman68 wrote:
Spittinchips wrote:
aje wrote:
missy wrote:
jhei21 wrote:
soler97 wrote:
Liam9653 wrote:
cathryn wrote:
Kylie wrote:
Welcome from the state of Virginia!
4/4 and still an optimist!
missy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by missy »

Hi John, Welcome I'm a West Aussie that once lived in Sydney for 5 years! I follow Dr. Bredesen's protocol as I'm in my early 50's APOE 4/4. I use Olive oil, macadamia nut oil and avocado oil for cooking. I wouldn't touch Canola oil as its man made and I also follow the advice of Dr. Stephen Gundry about oils that you can cook with olive oil as it has a high polyphenolic content that stops it oxidizing, and avoid all saturated fats; such as coconut oil. I've bought expensive olive oil from Italy from Simon Johnson, but I find that your local farmers market can sell the freshest olive oil as its important to know the harvest date, make sure its more peppery and NZ also makes a good Avo oil found in Woolworths. Hope that helps.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

johnseed wrote:
missy wrote:Hi John, Welcome I'm a West Aussie that once lived in Sydney for 5 years! I follow Dr. Bredesen's protocol as I'm in my early 50's APOE 4/4. I use Olive oil, macadamia nut oil and avocado oil for cooking. I wouldn't touch Canola oil as its man made and I also follow the advice of Dr. Stephen Gundry about oils that you can cook with olive oil as it has a high polyphenolic content that stops it oxidizing, and avoid all saturated fats; such as coconut oil. I've bought expensive olive oil from Italy from Simon Johnson, but I find that your local farmers market can sell the freshest olive oil as its important to know the harvest date, make sure its more peppery and NZ also makes a good Avo oil found in Woolworths. Hope that helps.
Hi missy! Welcome back! Thanks so much for your helpful reply to John. I'm added a "quote" function to be sure John sees this. If you want to use it in the future, just click on the big, single quotation mark in the upper right hand corner of any post, and it will bring the entire post over to a "Post a Reply" page that you can add onto, and when you hit "submit" the user gets an email with a link to your post.
4/4 and still an optimist!
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnseed »

NF52 wrote:
johnseed wrote:... Thanks NF52, greetings Missy and other Aussies

John
Welcome, John and thanks for offering to post information for other Aussies (and those who like to order from Australia!)

I thought it might be helpful to run a Search ,using the magnifying glass in the upper right by my user name, for "Australia". A fair number of people from Australia have joined this forum. We now have a category called Meet-Ups to support members who might want to do topical or regional meetings either in person or using our virtual "conference room". Here's an explanation of how it can work:
Welcome to Our Meet-Up Forum. We have recently had multiple meet-ups of folks in Seattle, Washington ranging in age from early 20's to mid-80's. Given that Australia earns the forum prize as "only country that is also a continent", we thought it would be fun to at least virtually "introduce" you all to each other, by using the "quote" function. All of these people have posted at least once; some may not have been active in quite a while.

It's totally up to each of you whether you respond to this just to say "Yes, I am in NSW also" or "Looking to meet for coffee in Brisbane" or just shake your head at this nervy American. (Whose ancestors started out in the same places as most Aussies.)

Here goes the list of Australians:
SarahB wrote:
Shine wrote:
Spiderman68 wrote:
Spittinchips wrote:
aje wrote:
missy wrote:
jhei21 wrote:
soler97 wrote:
Liam9653 wrote:
cathryn wrote:
Kylie wrote:
Welcome from the state of Virginia!
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by johnseed »

floramaria wrote:
johnseed wrote:
floramaria wrote: Thanks for sharing your further research. We sparked each other to learn more about canola. It is interesting that it developed using traditional breeding, then modified to be “RoundUp Ready”.
It is an interesting point that the modification is in a protein only , and would therefore not affect the oil.
Good digging!
Please post when you hear back about the high heat question. I’ll be eager to find out what you learn.