A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Free at Sixty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Free at Sixty »

Hi All,
I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago but it's taken me several attempts to figure out how to post my new member message. I'm very comfortable with email in general but this does not seem to be coming easy to me. I am waiting for the results of my first Blood Test on the Reverse/Recode protocol and hoping it will point me toward more I can do to prevent further decline. I know I have subjective cognitive decline but most of my friends and family say I'm doing fine. I don't think so and it still seems to be getting worse all the time despite the season (spring) which usually is better for me.
I'm glad to see you don't have dozen's of messages per day because that would be too much for me but I think I can handle the usual pace. I just have to remember how to find my way back here to check for new messages once in a while.
By the way I'm a 68 year old woman and found out I have both of the APOE 4 markers a couple months ago from 23andMe. Since then I've just had to tweak my diet a little to be on the ketone diet approach and have managed fairly easily to not eat for 15-16 hrs for more than a week now. I'm losing more weight but working on strategies to eat 4-5 small meals during the 8 hours I have to do so, to keep from losing any more. I'm trying to keep my saturated fat below 20 grams per day but don't even know if I need to.
Hopefully, the first blood tests will make things clearer and also lead me to some guidance about how to lower my inflammation level more. (I have red sore knuckles most of the time now.) I seem to still have significant exertion malaise but am trying to do some mild exercise late in the day. I have had a strenghtening/streching/meditation routine first thing in the morning for several years now. I don't like the HQ training because it seems to just drain the limited resources I do have for that sort of thing. I'm realizing I've been coping very welcome with some significant issues for quite a while, so much so that my friends and family don't see it as a problem. Looking forward to getting some feedback and meeting with my local functional medicine md before long.
I'm very glad and grateful that this group is here to support us all.
Thank you!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: new member

Post by NF52 »

Free at Sixty wrote:...
I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago but it's taken me several attempts to figure out how to post my new member message. I'm very comfortable with email in general but this does not seem to be coming easy to me. I am waiting for the results of my first Blood Test on the Reverse/Recode protocol and hoping it will point me toward more I can do to prevent further decline...
By the way I'm a 68 year old woman and found out I have both of the APOE 4 markers a couple months ago from 23andMe. Since then I've just had to tweak my diet a little to be on the ketone diet approach and have managed fairly easily to not eat for 15-16 hrs for more than a week now. I'm losing more weight but working on strategies to eat 4-5 small meals during the 8 hours I have to do so, to keep from losing any more. I'm trying to keep my saturated fat below 20 grams per day but don't even know if I need to.
Hopefully, the first blood tests will make things clearer and also lead me to some guidance about how to lower my inflammation level more. (I have red sore knuckles most of the time now.)... Looking forward to getting some feedback and meeting with my local functional medicine md before long.
Thank you!
Welcome, "Free at Sixty"!
You and I have several things in common: you're only a year older than I am; we're both ApoE 4/4; we both like having more information so we can make informed decisions.

And we both find this software confusing!! It's one of the downsides of an open-source (i.e. free) platform. Here's a link to one of our many Wiki entries, this one on "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It has sections on how to post, how to "quote" members so they get a notification of your reply, how to find unread posts (Hint: click on the eyeball icon with a slash through it, next to the lightning bolt in the same row as your user name in the upper right corner of the screen.) You can also "subscribe" to topics you're interested in, and we have a pretty good search function also.

If you haven't found it yet, we have a wiki entry on Exercise - Types, Lengths, and Benefits that may be helpful.

If you are interested in clinical trials targeting prevention for healthy people our age with ApoE 4 (one or two copies), you can let us know and we can give you some links to learn more about both observational trials and intervention trials. Some trials are only using lifestyle interventions; others are simply tracking people over time using imaging studies and cognitive testing, others trials are using drugs to reduce amyloid or otherwise support brain health.

It sounds like you are enjoying the freedom that comes with being in our 60's! I think we have lots to contribute and many opportunities to fine tune our systems to maximize our health, happiness and engagement with the world around us. I'm glad you found this community of friends.
4/4 and still an optimist!
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Re: new member

Post by SamNZ »

Free at Sixty wrote:Hi All,
I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago but it's taken me several attempts to figure out how to post my new member message. I'm very comfortable with email in general but this does not seem to be coming easy to me. I am waiting for the results of my first Blood Test on the Reverse/Recode protocol and hoping it will point me toward more I can do to prevent further decline. ...........Looking forward to getting some feedback and meeting with my local functional medicine md before long.
Thank you!
Hi Free at Sixty,
I am so glad you have found our community and for letting us know how you are getting on. You already seem to be making amazing inroads into making some really good changes for your health, I agree that it will be great when you get your blood work back and can check in with your FM MD and start some really relevant planning for yourself.
There are two quick things I would like to mention, 1) Please make sure you have read the Primer which is an amazing all round resource for those with the Apoe4 gene. 2) You could be right with the inflammation call though with the red knuckles, there are so many contributing factors to inflammation that you can work on, it can be overwhelming, remember that you are still young and although you can feel the symptoms coming on you can reverse them, making small sustainable changes one at a time is often a really good way to go, you are obviously already working on diet, but quietly just start to work through sleep, stress management, hydration, gut health, movement, environmental toxins ............ your FM doc will really help identify what to work on and if it all gets a little overwhelming, see if he/she has a coach aligned with their practice, they can help you make the behaviour changes - YOUR way so it is sustainable. Thanks again for joining us, it is lovely to have new members here and we hope we can all help you make your journey a little easier. Cheers SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach