Latest NMR Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
shuttrbg222
Contributor
Contributor

Latest NMR Results

Post by shuttrbg222 »

Been doing Keto for a year, I think I am going to switch to low saturated fat and see how that changes the numbers. I know the jury is still out on whether or not the high LDL-P is always bad. I can't see any harm in switching to olive oil / Avocado etc. The first NMR was on Keto for 6 months and the second was the 1 year mark.

-----------11/15/2018----------6/7/2019
LDL-P --------1128----------------1747
LDL-C ---------106 ---------------169
HDL-C--- ------56 ----------------67
Total-----------200 ---------------251
Trig-------------188 (no fast) -------77
Small LDL-P-----217----------------409
LDL Size nm-----21.4 -------------- 21.2
HDL-P total------32 ----------------34.9
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Latest NMR Results

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi shuttrbg222 and welcome!

I found the changes in some of your NMR numbers interesting and am wondering if you modified your diet between labs. Also, curious what your numbers were before doing keto? I agree with you that switching to lower saturated fats (olive oil, avocado, fish, nuts, etc) and retesting should provide you with some very helpful information. Despite the ApoE4 allele(s) shared by most of our members, we certainly do not all respond to diet interventions in the same way. So sharing individual diets/results provides additional insight and is always welcome!

You'll find there's a great deal of information on our site regarding ketogenic diets, lipids and testing. Our Primer, written by a member practicing physician, is a good place to start as well as an excellent way to become more familiar with our community. Our Wiki offers more in-depth discussions on topics of interest to our members (including sections on ketogenic diets, lipids and testing/tracking). Of course you can search the forums at any point and catch up on a wide range of areas of interest to you by clicking on the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page. You may also want to browse through our How-To-Guide for some tips on navigating our site more easily.

shuttrbg22, please feel free to reach out and share/ask questions of the group at any time. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums!
warmly, Lucy
shuttrbg222
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shuttrbg222 »

Thanks for the reply Lucy. So I did change my diet and started eating more saturated fat about 6 months ago. BTW I’m a 41yo male 3/4. I have been low carb for about 15 years and my cholesterol has always been Around 200 total and 130 LDL. I was so hoping I could start eating cheese and delicious meats but I don’t think that is wise for me. I will do another NMR in 6 months and see how it goes I guess.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, shutterbg222! I think you've got a good plan in place. The jump in your small LDL-P is very telling. Many of us can optimize lipid numbers by using primarily unsaturated Mediterranean style fats: fatty fish, nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, EVOO, etc. I'm also wondering about your BMI. Do you fast? Do you exercise? Have you been tracking your hbA1c and/or fasting insulin?
shuttrbg222
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shuttrbg222 »

My BMI is good, i'm 6'1 and 165lbs. I try to fast about 14-16 hours a day. I walk 5 miles+ a day and play soccer on the weekends (try to not use my head). My A1C at last check was 4.9. Also I should mention that I had been drinking a glass or 2 of red wine on the weekend nights but I think I will give that up as well.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

shuttrbg222 wrote:My BMI is good, i'm 6'1 and 165lbs. I try to fast about 14-16 hours a day. I walk 5 miles+ a day and play soccer on the weekends (try to not use my head). My A1C at last check was 4.9. Also I should mention that I had been drinking a glass or 2 of red wine on the weekend nights but I think I will give that up as well.
Hi Shuttrbg,
I’m a 4/4 and had similar changes except it was in reverse. I was eating paleo with lots of saturated fat (e.g, using bacon grease for oil), when I got my first NMR results. I scaled back saturated fats, but made sure I kept liver in my diet, which lowered my LDL-P, etc., on my next NMR results.
As you said, I think the debate point right now is whether elevated LDL-P is necessary AND sufficient. There are many who believe that you also need oxidation of the LDL particles to cause CVD that can occur for a variety of reasons/conditions (e.g. insulin resistance). If that is the case, then markers such as oxLDL might be informative. I believe many also use ApoB/ApoA1 as the marker of interest.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA