Vitamin D from the sun is best

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vitamin D from the sun is best

Post by CarrieS »

I'm having the same experience as Toriminz and Shalmar. I grew up "allergic" to the sun where I'd burn easily and break out in a painful raised rash all over in the summer. I never thought about the diet change having an effect but honestly, since I changed my diet back in 2013, I rarely burn and have a tan. I DO sit out in the sun with minimal clothing and no sunscreen for 20 minutes each side every day (I'm in the NW so I do what I can) so thought that and using coconut oil as a body lotion was what was making a difference. Cool to know that my dietary choices are making a difference too!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

NewRon wrote:
Where do sunbeds lie in this debate, I wonder?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
SunnySideUp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SunnySideUp »

I wrote to Dr. Richard Weller (the Dermatologist from University of Edinburgh interviewed in the Outside article) to ask if he knew of any neurological benefits of sunshine and nitric oxide to help with AD. He generously responded

"Thank you for your interest in my work. I am not aware of any studies looking at sunlight exposure and Alzheimer’s disease. There is a growing body of evidence that sunlight has cardiovascular benefits which need to be balanced against the well proven case that sunlight exposure increases the risk of skin cancer. A history of stroke is a risk factor for late onset Alzheimer’s disease. The probable blood pressure lowering effects of sunlight would be expected to reduce stroke incidence so it is possible that there is a relation although it’s not proven. An alternative interesting pathway is suggested by the paper I am attaching. This relates to a mouse model and it’s important to realise this as it may not be relevant to man. Nonetheless the authors show an interesting mechanism by which sunlight improves Learning ability and mice. I’m not sure how good model this would be for Alzheimer’s but I hope someone tries to translate this research into studies in mind."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.