Just learned I carry one APOe4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Nomadska
Contributor
Contributor

Just learned I carry one APOe4

Post by Nomadska »

Hello. This is my first post. I tested with 23&me and received results this week. I look forward to learning from others. I do not have memory issues. I’m rather young. I was a vegetarian for 20 years. Then the past seven my cholesterol shot up on a omnivorous diet. Tried Keto and instinctively knew coconut was not working. Tried going back to veg but doesn’t work anymore for me. I’m trying Gundry’s suggestion of shellfish and copious olive oil. I’ve never shied from fats and have always eaten nuts and avocados. I do have health issues and hope to see improvements in future and hope to learn what works for others. I was not informed what the other APOe variant is.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Just learned I carry one APOe4

Post by CoachMT »

Nomadska wrote:Hello. This is my first post. I tested with 23&me and received results this week. I look forward to learning from others. I do not have memory issues. I’m rather young. I was a vegetarian for 20 years. Then the past seven my cholesterol shot up on a omnivorous diet. Tried Keto and instinctively knew coconut was not working. Tried going back to veg but doesn’t work anymore for me. I’m trying Gundry’s suggestion of shellfish and copious olive oil. I’ve never shied from fats and have always eaten nuts and avocados. I do have health issues and hope to see improvements in future and hope to learn what works for others. I was not informed what the other APOe variant is.
Welcome to the to the Apoe4.info communityNomadska! We are so pleased that you found the ApoE.4.info site and happy to have you as a member of this active community! This forum is a great place to learn, share, and receive support! Kudos to you for proactively getting yourself tested and learning you have one APOE4 allele, signing-up and posting on this form, and taking steps to modify your diet and lifestyle to support your long-term health- good stuff!

If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great place to learn about the resources available on the ApoE4.info site that you may want to incorporate into your own learning journey. Thanks for sharing your story on the Our Stories forum. There you can also learn about fellow members' stories, experiences, and share in their journey. Welcome! We're glad to have you in the community!

Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

Hello Nomadska,. Congratulations on finding this forum. The information here has been very helpful for me. I have the most respect and appreciation for the members here that offer their knowledge that others may find solutions and solice. Good luck on your search for your way forward.
Nomadska
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nomadska »

Thank you Mandy and donbob.
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

Nomadska wrote: I was not informed what the other APOe variant is.
You can determine your other APOE variant by using your raw data from 23 and me.

Go to 23 and me and down load your raw data. Do a find of that data set for these two numbers (these are mine) -
• rs429358(C;T)
• rs7412(C;C)

The C's and T's are your guide and this will help you tell what you are -
https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/alzhei ... apoe-type/
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos
Nomadska
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nomadska »

JudyH,

Thank you very much. That was really helpful. I believe I have exactly what you have. I think that means E3/E4 higher than normal risk.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Nomadska wrote:Hello. This is my first post. I tested with 23&me and received results this week. I look forward to learning from others. I do not have memory issues. I’m rather young. I was a vegetarian for 20 years. Then the past seven my cholesterol shot up on a omnivorous diet. Tried Keto and instinctively knew coconut was not working. Tried going back to veg but doesn’t work anymore for me. I’m trying Gundry’s suggestion of shellfish and copious olive oil. I’ve never shied from fats and have always eaten nuts and avocados. I do have health issues and hope to see improvements in future and hope to learn what works for others. I was not informed what the other APOe variant is.
Welcome, Nomadska! It sounds like you have several cognitive protective factors working in your favor: you have no memory issues in what I assume is mid-life (40-60-ish?). You've had decades of healthy eating as a vegetarian, an omnivore a keto-experimenter and now using Dr. Gundry's suggestions.

As someone with ApoE 3/4, you would by some analysis of large populations cohorts have a statistical (not personalized) risk of 20-25% for a diagnosis of either Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) or dementia by the age of 85--IF you were already 60-75. APOE-related risk of mild cognitive impairment and dementia for prevention trials: An analysis of four cohorts

Assuming you are younger than that, you have many more years to use not only diet but exercise, sleep, management of blood pressure, insulin resistance, cardiac health and stress to drive your odds of lifetime brain health higher, and your risks from that one ApoE4 much lower. Some scientists believe that 30% of AD diagnoses would be avoided with those lifestyle factors better maintained!

To help you find some of those resources here on our Wiki, and using our search function, check out the"How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. And feel free to jump in on any conversation!
4/4 and still an optimist!