I guess I'll be taking a statin

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
WhatNext
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: I guess I'll be taking a statin

Post by WhatNext »

slacker wrote:I don't think that there is consistent evidence that Zetia saves lives.
Hi Slacker,

I found a similar, actually somewhat worse, assessment of the benefits of Zetia when I Googled it. It's all about the numbers--get the LDL down.

WhatNext
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

WhatNext wrote: I expect an argument though and it's one I can't win.
Nonsense.

Your doctor is your employee ... not your boss.

You pay him for his advice.

You don't have to follow it.

If your doctor acts like he/she has authority over you and you must follow his instructions ... run to a new doctor.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
WhatNext
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by WhatNext »

Julie G wrote:No signs of insulin resistance and your TG:HDL ratio at 0.7 is optimal. I think having a coronary calcium scan done would be very instructive. Do you have a strong family history of heart disease?
Unfortunately yes: my father had quintuple bypass surgery at age 77. My mother had a bad aortic valve, possibly the result of having had scarlet fever as a child. She was born in 1922 and treated at home so who knows? Or maybe it was rheumatic fever--I'm not sure. she had valve replacement surgery at age 88 and they did a single bypass at the same time due to one partially blocked artery.

WhatNext
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Unfortunately yes: my father had quintuple bypass surgery at age 77. My mother had a bad aortic valve, possibly the result of having had scarlet fever as a child. She was born in 1922 and treated at home so who knows? Or maybe it was rheumatic fever--I'm not sure. she had valve replacement surgery at age 88 and they did a single bypass at the same time due to one partially blocked artery.
Ah, that probably explains your phyician’s aggresive management. A coronary calcium scan is probably a good idea to help quantify where you stand. I had a low radiation scan done a few years ago for just a couple hundred dollars. It was money well spent for the information and piece of mind. Best of luck as you navigate this.
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

I started low carb in 2009 (age 47).

I had a calcium scan in 2012 (age 50) ... result was zero.

I had another calcium scan in 2017 (age 55) ... result was zero.

I paid $100 each since insurance didn't cover it.

Money well spent, IMHO.

I will get another one in 2022 ... hopefully it will be a zero (or very low) score.

re: family history ...

Nothing on my mom's side ... no heart disease no alzheimers.
My dad's side has a significant history of alzheimers, and some history of heart disease.

My dad died from a stroke at 76.
My step-mom said "but, his cholesterol numbers were always good!"

My mom is doing well at 79 years old. No major health issues.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

I agree completely on taking a coronary artery calcium scan. Overall your basic cholesterol numbers don't look bad at all. If your CAC score is zero then you have no plaque build up at all and I would resist taking a statin. There are some other things you can look at but a CAC is easy, cheap and gives you really great insight into whether or not you have heart disease.
WhatNext
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by WhatNext »

Julie G wrote: Ah, that probably explains your phyician’s aggresive management. A coronary calcium scan is probably a good idea to help quantify where you stand. I had a low radiation scan done a few years ago for just a couple hundred dollars. It was money well spent for the information and piece of mind. Best of luck as you navigate this.
Maybe, although he didn't mention it. Hey I could use it to justify requesting a coronary calcium scan! :D My father's diet was terrible though. He buttered everything. Seriously, he buttered hot dog buns. He buttered crackers. He buttered the bread for a peanut butter sandwich.

WhatNext
WhatNext
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by WhatNext »

jgilberAZ wrote: Nonsense.

Your doctor is your employee ... not your boss.

You pay him for his advice.

You don't have to follow it.

If your doctor acts like he/she has authority over you and you must follow his instructions ... run to a new doctor.
Yeah, I know, but easier said than done. I plan what I'm going to say in my head and then when the time comes I chicken out.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Whatnext: I personally do not prescribe statins in a woman who has not had a previous heart attack but with a slightly high TC without evidence such as a coronary calcium scan or angiogram.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

WhatNext wrote:Yeah, I know, but easier said than done. I plan what I'm going to say in my head and then when the time comes I chicken out.
Do what my wife does ... she tells her doctor "I'll take this information and discuss it with my husband before making any decisions."

Then, if you want to change doctors, just go to the new doctor and fill out a transfer of records form.

easy peasy
Apoe 3/4
My Website