Question on the Bredesen protocol for Dementia, not Alzheimers

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
RossKrupp
Contributor
Contributor

Question on the Bredesen protocol for Dementia, not Alzheimers

Post by RossKrupp »

We are newly following the Bredesen protocol and my husband Jim is diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) but not Alzheimers. Is Bredesen's program also good for people with dementia who don't have, and may not get, Alzheimers?
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question on the Bredesen protocol for Dementia, not Alzheimers

Post by slacker »

RossKrupp wrote:We are newly following the Bredesen protocol and my husband Jim is diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) but not Alzheimers. Is Bredesen's program also good for people with dementia who don't have, and may not get, Alzheimers?
Interesting question. People have MCI prior to developing full Alzheimer's. It's a continuum. Not all people with MCI develop AD. I suspect people with other forms of dementia have MCI prior to full blown diagnosed dementia. Officially, Dr Bredesen has not treated other kinds of dementia with his protocol, but given the possibility of overlapping underlying causes, some may have slipped in. It's quite likely that the increasing numbers of practitioners who have gone through the Bredesen training are using the protocol in people with dementias other than AD. Are overlapping causes of dementia less likely to respond to the protocol? Most likely unknown (IMHO).
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

RossKrupp wrote:We are newly following the Bredesen protocol and my husband Jim is diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) but not Alzheimers. Is Bredesen's program also good for people with dementia who don't have, and may not get, Alzheimers?
Hi again, Stephanie (I saw your name on your other post.)

"Slacker" has received training on the Bredesen protocol from Dr. Bredesen herself a few years ago, so I think her cautious approach (it might work, but everyone is different) makes sense. One common intervention for MCI that has been well-studied and is supported by Dr. Bredesen and by Dr "Stavia" in our Primer is exercise. Here's part of a post I made to someone recently who had also been diagnosed with MCI in his early 70's:
People with MCI showed improved verbal fluency after a 12-week program of doing 30 minutes of moderate-intensity treadmill walking 4 times per week. Interestingly, they also showed reduced blood cerebral blood flow.
Dr. Smith explains that for those beginning to experience subtle memory loss, the brain is in "crisis mode" and may try to compensate for the inability to function optimally by increasing cerebral blood flow. While elevated cerebral blood flow is usually considered beneficial to brain function, there is evidence to suggest it may actually be a harbinger of further memory loss in those diagnosed with MCI. The results of the study by Dr. Smith and his team suggest exercise may have the potential to reduce this compensatory blood flow and improve cognitive efficiency in those in the very early stages of Alzheimer's Disease.
UMD study finds exercise benefits brains, changes blood flow in older adults

This recent article in the Journal of the American Medical Association:Neurology may give you hope, since it profiles another highly educated professional who, six years after a diagnosis of early-stage Alzheimer's disease, is still living a fulfilling life.
Early Awareness of Alzheimer Disease: A Neurologist’s Personal Perspective
Please know that like most adjustments we make in life, this will feel more like a rollercoaster of emotions and mixed progress, I suspect. And know also that we are all pulling for you and your husband to find that the journey has some bright spots and real progress in areas that are important to both of you. Hugs from a 67 year old wife.
4/4 and still an optimist!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

I would just add that I have heard Dr Bredesen say, on several occasions, that SCI (Subjective Cognitive Impairment) and MCI are easier to reverse than cognitive impairment that's entered the range where it is diagnosed as AD. So for you and Jim, it is good to be starting now. The added benefit is that many of the changes...getting plenty of sleep, eliminating sugar and processed foods, exercising regularly, brain stimulation (ie, learning new things) and reducing stress....are things that have no downside. And in general, Reducing inflammation and avoiding insulin resistance are good strategies that contribute to overall longterm health.
Sending best wishes!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
RossKrupp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RossKrupp »

Thanks! I'm reading the book now and agree with your thoughts. We have nothing to lose.
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cflegal »

I have MCI that is Alzheimer's. I have "diffuse" amyloid throughout. Dementia is the next stage after this. Your husband may not have dementia. My biggest difference with the Bredesen protocol is that I follow a Keto-MIND diet (see post). Regular, consistent exercise is very important. I take 180mg/day of Theracurmin (see post) and strongly recommend it. My BMI and blood sugar are both under control and that is also critical.