Is hair dye bad for us?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Is hair dye bad for us?

Post by Berri »

I'm 84 and finally thinking I should let my hair go gray. Both of my children have it, for heaven's sake. But it is actually bad for me? I usually have touch-ups once a month. I searched for this topic through the forums and the Wiki but found little except for some about getting gray early.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Berri 2/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is hair dye bad for us?

Post by slacker »

Berri wrote:I'm 84 and finally thinking I should let my hair go gray. Both of my children have it, for heaven's sake. But it is actually bad for me? I usually have touch-ups once a month. I searched for this topic through the forums and the Wiki but found little except for some about getting gray early.
It depends on what product you use. Here is an overview of potential toxic ingredients in hair dye. Environmental Working Group reviews individual products for safety; even though there are over 50 pages of products, you may not find the one you use.

I personally stopped coloring my hair at age 50 after 10 years of use for multiple reasons, among which was reduction of toxic exposure.
Slacker
E4/E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Berri wrote:I'm 84 and finally thinking I should let my hair go gray. Both of my children have it, for heaven's sake. But it is actually bad for me? I usually have touch-ups once a month. I searched for this topic through the forums and the Wiki but found little except for some about getting gray early.
Thanks for your thoughts. Berri 2/4
Hi Berri,

I just searched through a lot of saved articles and could not come up with the one i was looking for. I thought it was from Rhonda Patrick, but could be wrong about her as the source. It was a well-respected doctor, at any rate, who sent something out about hair color. she named two companies. One of them does some sort of (alchemical?) change that only works on grey hair that has never been colored and restores natural color. Can’t recall the name. The other is from a company called Radico. 100% Organic Hair Colour. Claims to be herbal.
If I come across the article I will post it in this thread.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

Thanks to both Slacker and Floramaria. I love this website!!!
betsylawrence
Contributor
Contributor

Post by betsylawrence »

Hi there, I have been recommended hair print as a good alternative to hair dye. I think it could be the one FloraMaria mentioned in her post above...
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

betsylawrence wrote:Hi there, I have been recommended hair print as a good alternative to hair dye. I think it could be the one FloraMaria mentioned in her post above...
I have never heard of Hair Print but it sounds promising (at least for people with dark hair for the time being). Have you tried it yet?

I'd also like to Welcome you to the Forums. If you haven't poked around much, this post in the Wiki How To Get The Most Out Of The APOe4 Website is a great "How To Guide" to find tips and tricks for posting, messaging and searching and so much more. When you get a chance, we'd love for you to introduce yourself and let us know what brought you here by creating a post in Our Stories.
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LA18 »

I’ve used Hairprint twice. It worked well on my very gray hair (which used to be brown) in terms of coverage, but it made it incredibly dry and almost sticky. Also, the application has multiple steps and I was at the salon for hours. I think it would have been difficult to do at home.

I’m back to regular dye, but I’m having my stylist use foil so that it doesn’t touch my scalp. I’m hoping that reduces the toxicity level some.

The Hairprint color was great, but I decided not to continue using it because it made my hair difficult to manage. I don’t believe this is a common complaint, so it’s probably a good option for most people.
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebS »

betsylawrence wrote:Hi there, I have been recommended hair print as a good alternative to hair dye. I think it could be the one FloraMaria mentioned in her post above...
Hi and welcome betsylawrence! I enjoyed reading this thread as I do highlight my hair to disguise the greys even though I am concerned about the risks. I wonder too if some of the bright colors used today will end up causing heavy metal toxicity or other problems. Please do let us know about your results if you try hair print!

Carrie S gave some great tips to navigating the site above. Please feel free to reach out if you have questions. I look forward to your future posts.
Deb
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

LA18 wrote:I’ve used Hairprint twice. It worked well on my very gray hair (which used to be brown) in terms of coverage, but it made it incredibly dry and almost sticky. Also, the application has multiple steps and I was at the salon for hours. I think it would have been difficult to do at home.

I’m back to regular dye, but I’m having my stylist use foil so that it doesn’t touch my scalp. I’m hoping that reduces the toxicity level some.

The Hairprint color was great, but I decided not to continue using it because it made my hair difficult to manage. I don’t believe this is a common complaint, so it’s probably a good option for most people.
Thank you for sharing your experience LA18!
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
betsylawrence
Contributor
Contributor

Post by betsylawrence »

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I haven't used hairprint yet - i have it sitting at home but with two young children running around the time never seems right to do it. I'm in NZ and was recommended it by make-up artist here who uses it. She did a write up on the ins and outs of it (she has no financial connection to the company but loves sharing good natural products) for one of our online stores. I'll post it below. It sounds like it's a trickier process than the normal stuff but worth it to not get all the toxins. When I get around to giving it a go, I'll let you know how I get on :)

https://ohnatural.co.nz/all-you-need-to ... hairprint/