New member from Iowa!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
pminzenmeyer
New User
New User

New member from Iowa!

Post by pminzenmeyer »

Hello from Iowa!

I am a soon to be 61 year old and I live near Cedar Rapids, IA. I am a real estate paralegal. I just recently found out that I am a 4/4. Not going to lie, I was upset to find out, but not surprised. My mother and her mother both died from complications of AD. My mother came from a family of 10 children and only she and a brother had AD. I regret not getting tested sooner. I come from a family of 6 kids, with 2 half brothers. No one with AD yet.

I was happy to find this website, and I am looking forward to learning more about APOE 4, and what we can do to prevent/prolong us from getting AD.

I am relatively healthy, but I can always improve by eating right, exercising more.

I am curious to know if any others in this group are involved in any clinical trials and what their experiences have been?
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New member from Iowa!

Post by donbob »

Delete
Last edited by donbob on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

pminzenmeyer wrote:Hello from Iowa!

I am a soon to be 61 year old and I live near Cedar Rapids, IA. I am a real estate paralegal. I just recently found out that I am a 4/4. Not going to lie, I was upset to find out, but not surprised. My mother and her mother both died from complications of AD. My mother came from a family of 10 children and only she and a brother had AD. I regret not getting tested sooner. I come from a family of 6 kids, with 2 half brothers. No one with AD yet.

I was happy to find this website, and I am looking forward to learning more about APOE 4, and what we can do to prevent/prolong us from getting AD.

I am relatively healthy, but I can always improve by eating right, exercising more.

I am curious to know if any others in this group are involved in any clinical trials and what their experiences have been?
Welcome pminzenmeyer! We are happy that you have joined us here on the site. Several members of the site are participating in the Generations Study. You can read about their experience by using our Search Function which you access by using the magnifying glass to the left of your user name. If you type in Generations Study you will see all posts that mention that.

It is understandable that you were upset about your ApoE4 status, but now that you have joined this community, I think that as you explore here, you will find much to relieve your fears. Genetics is just one part of what predisposes any individual to Alzheimer’s, and there are so many things you can do to minimize the risk. A great place to learn more is with our Primer
written by a physician member. It will give you a comprehensive overview.
There is a lot to learn. You’ll discover a wealth of information here, and also a supportive community.
Take things a step at time, realizing that you don’t need to understand this all at once.
Again, a warm to you. Feel free to post questions as they come up, especially if you cannot find the answers using the Search function.
Best wishes,
Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Welcome from a born and raised Iowa farm girl (NW Iowa)!

Unfortunately, the Generations Study was just terminated for the BACE inhibitor CNP520. See our thread on this and also http://www.pharmatimes.com/news/another ... al_1294456

You can browse through the thread about folks' experience with that study.

You can also find out about other studies at this site: https://www.endalznow.org/find-a-study

If you register, they will notify you of new ones.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

pminzenmeyer wrote:Hello from Iowa!

Hi pminzenmeyer- Welcome to the ApoE4 community site and kudos to you for proactively getting tested and taking steps to maintain and enhance your own health and wellness! Though you feel overwhelmed right now, you are taking positive steps and can soon be on your way to increased prevention! As Floramaria mentioned, on this site, you’ll be able to share your experiences, post questions, and learn with and from fellow members along similar journeys. You can also learn about fellow community members who are embarking on this journey alongside you on the Our Stories thread.

As Floramaria already shared, the primer is a great place to start learning about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. Additionally, you may be interested in checking out the thread on
eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients and the “Recipes from Members section to get ideas for meals.

So glad you are part of this community and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)