Sleep

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Sleep

Post by Plumster »

Oh darn, I do move quite a bit!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:
circular wrote:This has really motivated me to work on maximizing deep sleep. Interestingly, for me it plummets each time I try to use mouth taping, although I would still like to confirm that with something more accurate.
What strategies are you using to maximize deep sleep?

How interesting (and unfortunate) that your deep sleep plummets each time you try to use mouth taping. I use mouth taping, and I don't have that issue. It's nice waking up without a dry mouth and throat. While living in dry Colorado, I'd get a bloody nose from my breathing through my mouth.
Actually I've not yet found any strategy at all that consistently increases my (Fitbit reported) deep sleep. My deep sleep is at least usually in the range for women my age, and sometimes at the high end. That said, I'm not sure being like women my age for deep sleep is a good thing!

One thing I'm much better about is getting to bed early so I have more hours in bed and more sleep in general (after Fitbit subtracts the awake time). According to Fitbit, I also consistently have less awake time than other women my age (below the range altogether). I attribute this to the fact that I sleep on my back all night with my legs elevated for my back, so I have most likely have less overall movement.

I still 'struggle' with getting to bed at the same time every night and up at the same time every morning (ie, I don't have that particular discipline down yet). I also haven't found that a particular bedtime is my magic circadian sweet spot yet, but I've had a series of excessively stressful things go on in my life since Jan 2018, so hopefully it will all improve whenever this cycle winds down. Considering my stress levels, I think my sleep is pretty good overall and on average, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Oh ya though, one weird thing: If Fitbit is accurate enough to show a trend, I don't have complete sleep cycles all night long. I usually get all of my deep sleep early in the night (not just most of it as expected), and after it's done my cycles only go between light and REM. I rarely have a night that the cycles go through all stages with decreasing deep sleep as the night goes on. There's probably a scary medical term in sleep science for this that will ensure I die an early death with a lot of holes in my brain ;) .
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Plumster wrote:Oh darn, I do move quite a bit!
For the time being, try sleeping on your back all night with legs elevated. This will help prevent rolling over and movement in general.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Circular,

Do you use a special pillow? Because when I sleep on my back, I inevitably wake up with a sore neck that lasts for days from my head falling to one side.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Plumster wrote:Circular,

Do you use a special pillow? Because when I sleep on my back, I inevitably wake up with a sore neck that lasts for days from my head falling to one side.
I don't use any pillow at all. It never seemed like a good thing to me to cock the neck up all night. I use a folded linen scarf to just provide a little support under my neck, then I use an old really soft cotton shirt and stuff it to the side of my head to hold it up :lol:
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

BTW I'm surprised you're not using the quote feature so I get notification of that you're addressing me. This helps, since these days I don't have a lot of time to keep up with following every thread that interests me. Much of the time I rely on email notifications to know if someone is replying to one of my posts. ;)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

circular wrote:
BTW I'm surprised you're not using the quote feature so I get notification of that you're addressing me. This helps, since these days I don't have a lot of time to keep up with following every thread that interests me. Much of the time I rely on email notifications to know if someone is replying to one of my posts. ;)
Hi Circ and Plumster,
Here's a back-up strategy to be notified of quotes of your posts, or new posts on topics of interest, especially because new members often post without realizing that someone can't automatically see their question or comment: Subscribing to a topic within a forum category to be notified of any posts on that topic As we have found,
Forum members often have favorite topics that they want to follow, but they don't want to have to check every day to see if any new posts have been made on that topic. Subscribing to a topic within a forum allows you to be notified by email of any new post on that specific topic. You can choose as many topics in as many forum categories as you want to follow by subscribing to them.

Another strategy to keep up with posts from new and veteran users, is to skim the "unread posts" by clicking on the eyeball with a slash through it (not my favorite icon image :roll: ) Locating unread posts.

'Cuz sometimes when you're not getting enough sleep, it's just too hard to remember to quote someone! ;)
4/4 and still an optimist!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

NF52 wrote: 'Cuz sometimes when you're not getting enough sleep, it's just too hard to remember to quote someone! ;)
True :lol: Or like all the times I go to edit a post but click quote instead, so my edits go into the thread as a new post :roll:

Good ideas. I'm so frightfully behind on everything and everything that I prefer not to get emails for the many threads I'm interested in. I have to accept that I'll miss a lot of content. I follow three boards in my notifications: Announcements, Prevention, and Science. I want to add the ApoE4.info board but can no longer find how to watch it. Anyway, I have 866 unread notifications as it is just following those three boards :!:
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

circular wrote: I follow three boards in my notifications: Announcements, Prevention, and Science. I want to add the ApoE4.info board but can no longer find how to watch it. Anyway, I have 866 unread notifications as it is just following those three boards :!:
Let's reframe it: you're not behind; you're an omnivore learner!!

When I go to "unread posts" it always says "more than 1000" (probably more like 4000!) So I don't subscribe to entire categories like Prevention (which has the most posts). Instead, I select certain threads (topics within categories) by subscribing while I'm in that thread. For example I've subscribed to this Sleep topic. That way, I can be sure to be notified of a particular Prevention topic and might unsubscribe once I feel I got what I wanted from the conversation. Then I use "unread posts" as a quick look, like checking Google news, or the Washington Post headlines, to see what's new across forums that I might want to check out.
Doing that means I only get a handful of posts a day--and don't have to feel guilty about what I haven't seen!!

On the other hand--get a good blizzard next winter and those unread notifications might be just the thing to pass the time!
4/4 and still an optimist!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I started out by marking everything as read. I then go in periodically to the forums to see what is new, and read the ones that look interesting. I then again mark everything as read in that forum to remove the ones that did not interest me. This way I get to see any new ones each time I go in.
Sonoma Mike
4/4