Hello, Mark here

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Markp
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Mark here

Post by Markp »

Hello,
I am Mark, E3/E4 status.
I learned about E4 when I stumbled across The Heart Attack Gene. Before that, at a cocktail party, I had a well known heart surgeon be frank about my flippant attitude towards 240-300 total cholesterol level. He said that me being "a bit fat," and with the Framingham study, put me in the high risk category. I looked at the heart attack history in my family, some signs of ED, and dropped from 185-182 to 168-170 in five months. Harder than I thought!

WIth the 23andme data, I determined my E3/E4 status. My youngest brother, a smoker at times, had a heart attack at age 43, and my 51 year old bro' earned a stent. My plan has been primarily plant based nutrition, sleep, lifting weight w/out the intense bulging forehead and neck veins, cardio, both level 1 and level 2.

I regret my paleo-diet years; I put on weight, not all muscle, but think my long walks in nature may have helped me stay healthy. I have had a caffeine induced non fatal heart scare, slow metabolizer status, and the resultant tests were good. Recently did the Cartroid artery scan, and that was good.

Plant based diet makes me feel better than a keto type diet. Lots of POM juice, Nitrous Oxide foods, water, and I feel my plan is good for me.

Thanks for this resource. All you guys are great.

Mark
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hello, Mark here

Post by NF52 »

Markp wrote:Hello,
I am Mark, E3/E4 status....
I regret my paleo-diet years; I put on weight, not all muscle, but think my long walks in nature may have helped me stay healthy. I have had a caffeine induced non fatal heart scare, slow metabolizer status, and the resultant tests were good. Recently did the Cartroid artery scan, and that was good.

Plant based diet makes me feel better than a keto type diet. Lots of POM juice, Nitrous Oxide foods, water, and I feel my plan is good for me.
Thanks for this resource. All you guys are great.
Mark
Hi Mark,
First, let me congratulate you on taking evidence from multiple sources to make major changes in your health--including that heart surgeon. (I had an uncle who was told by an ENT surgeon at his daughter's wedding that he needed to see a neurologist ASAP, based on only a handshake. Turned out he had a benign brain tumor that was growing fast. It was removed successfully and my uncle lived for decades longer. So I'm glad some of those docs are willing to break the rules of party etiquette,) You get the credit for making lots of great decisions based on your family history, your own health and your motivation to be healthy. We can't rewrite our family's history, but we can sometimes use it to rewrite our future story. You mentioned a carotid artery scan; sometimes those are down in a package of 3, with abdominal aneurysm scan and peripheral vascular scan in the legs. Your primary care doctor may be able to advise whether he thinks those would be helpful also, or possible a coronary artery scan. I paid for one because I'm not considered "high risk", although my dad died of cardiac arrest at my age (67). It was a relief to get a zero score, but I wanted to know if it was bad news before I had a heart attack scare.
You're also a great example of finding a diet and exercise program that works for you. We are all much more than our ApoE 4 status, and a plant-based diet, like the Mediterranean diet and others, also has strong evidence of being heart and brain healthy.

I hope you feel free to jump into any conversation on the forum, and to post new topics that you'd like discussed. We have a helpful resource "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website to be sure folks see your posts, and you see posts of interest, as well as using the Search function.

Two other useful resources for deep dives are the Wiki, with topics curated by members with in-depth knowledge, and the Primer, written by a physician member with ApoE 4/4.

Thanks for your kind comments about this forum--we are only as good as our members, so are glad you've joined. Feel free to let us know what we can do to improve.
4/4 and still an optimist!
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

Markp wrote:Hello,
I am Mark, E3/E4 status.......

Hi Mark, You are exactly what I would love all of my clients ( and myself actually) to become, really aware of all their physiology and what works best to keep their own engines and emotions running as smoothly as possible. This has obviously been a lot of hard work for you and is something I feel you should be really proud of. Thank you for commenting and joining our community, we hope to hear more from you in the future. Cheers SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Markp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Markp »

Thanks guys for the feedback. We live in exciting times regarding genetics. The variation in our genotypes invalidates the "one size fits all." The e4 story is relative new, as far as we humans knowing about it; I check it out often to learn. This website is bookmarked on my computer. Thanks.