So glad to be here!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
BarbaraS
Contributor
Contributor

So glad to be here!

Post by BarbaraS »

Hello everyone!

I'm Barbara and I'm in the middle of reading Dale Bredesen's "The End of Alzheimer's" -- which is how I found this site.

A few years ago, I'd done 23andme testing and saw that I had one ApoE4 gene -- which I wasn't happy about, but at least I only had one ApoE4 gene. A month ago, I downloaded my data onto Strategene to give to a health practitioner and found that I do have 2 copies of the ApoE4 gene... and perhaps also one ApoE3 gene variant -- all of which dramatically raises my chances of getting Alzheimer's.

Despite all of that, I just turned 67 and am not showing any overt signs of Alzheimer's. Several years ago, I worked with a health coach to lose weight (my BMI is now 21.8) , move more, sleep better and eat healthy foods -- which turned out to be a wise investment.

That said, I want to do all that I can to prevent getting Alzheimer's -- which seems to involve a healthy lifestyle, taking appropriate supplements, testing and working with a qualified practitioner to personalize the right diet and supplements for my body/brain.

Thank you, Julie, and the rest of your board/staff for creating this site. As suggested by many on this forum, I am going to start with the primer.

Barbara
Davida
Contributor
Contributor

Re: So glad to be here!

Post by Davida »

BarbaraS wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm Barbara and I'm in the middle of reading Dale Bredesen's "The End of Alzheimer's" -- which is how I found this site.

A few years ago, I'd done 23andme testing and saw that I had one ApoE4 gene -- which I wasn't happy about, but at least I only had one ApoE4 gene. A month ago, I downloaded my data onto Strategene to give to a health practitioner and found that I do have 2 copies of the ApoE4 gene... and perhaps also one ApoE3 gene variant -- all of which dramatically raises my chances of getting Alzheimer's.
Hi Barbara and welcome to the Apoe4 community. Thank you for posting and sharing a bit of your journey thus far. Many do feel overwhelmed when they learn about their Apoe4 status and don't know what to do. We have to remember, having the gene increases our risk of late Alzheimer's but it certainly doesn't have to be our destiny. And from the sound of it, you have done some remarkable work which has proven to be very beneficial. That's wonderful! That plus your desire and fortitude to continue a healthy lifestyle will serve you well. It appears you have found a good health practitioner to work with too!

Starting with our Primer like you have done, is a great idea. There is also Wiki, which has more in-depth discussions on specific topics of interest. For tips on how to get the most out of our site, check out our How-To-Guide.

Keep up the good work and please don't hesitate to post any questions that may arise. I think you will find this group to be very supportive and caring.

All the best,

Davida
Davida
FMCHC
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches Certification 2018
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: So glad to be here!

Post by mike »

BarbaraS wrote:A month ago, I downloaded my data onto Strategene to give to a health practitioner and found that I do have 2 copies of the ApoE4 gene... and perhaps also one ApoE3 gene variant -- all of which dramatically raises my chances of getting Alzheimer's.
Barbara, every one has 2 (and only 2) copies of APOE - you can not have 2 E4s and 1E3 - you have to be either a 4/4 or a 3/4.
Sonoma Mike
4/4