looking for a practitioner in Wisconsin

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
cenright
Contributor
Contributor

looking for a practitioner in Wisconsin

Post by cenright »

Im new here. A little background, my mother (72 age) was diagnosed in the last couple years with AD. Im concerned for her and obviously for myself. I haven't decided yet if Im going to get tested. Prior to my AD concerns being raised, Ive already made MANY changes to my lifestyle ie. Intermittent fasting, cleaner diet, exercise, addition of supplements etc. In my exploration over the last two years for a healthier lifestyle I've seen a functional medicine doctor (not Bredesen trained) and had many blood panels done by her. Ive compared the results of my test results with Dr. Bradesens book, but Id love help in interperting my results with regards to AD.

I'd LOVE to know if anyone from this incredibly supportive group has worked with a practitioner in Wisconsin? My internet searches don't show anyone that is Bredesen trained. Id even be happy with a Bredesen trained coach that could work with my current functional medicine doc. Im from Madison, Wi and so surprised in my search results that no practitioners that support the Bredesen protocol come up as Madison is home to a large university (University of Wisconsin). Id be willing to travel to Minnesota or Illinois but prefer to find someone in my home state. Thank you for any help!
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: looking for a practitioner in Wisconsin

Post by LA18 »

Hi, cenright. My mom, who lives in Madison, saw Dr. Clemma Nash in Roberts, WI. It’s pretty far north, about 30 miles from St. Paul, MN, so about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Madison. Dr. Nash is Bredesen trained and I believe she takes Medicare. I think she books out quite a bit in advance, though (maybe 6 months to a year?).

There's another Bredesen-trained doctor (Carolyn Bowles) in Edina, MN, and there's at least one in or around the Chicago area, but I don't have her name. I can ask my sister about that, as she was scheduled to see her at one point.
cenright
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cenright »

Thank you so much I will call Dr Nash's practice today! If you come across any other names in the Chicago area ( or Wisconsin ) please let me know. Thank you for your response!!!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Hi cenright;

We have a wiki chapter on how to search for a healthcare provider. It includes how to find a Bredesen trained practitioner (option A3). When I searched the IFM website for Wisconsin and Reversing Cognitive Decline, there are 5 people - two MDs, two NP, and one chiropractor.
Slacker
E4/E4
cenright
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cenright »

Thank you. As a newbie to all of this, is there a benefit to seeing a chiro vs an md vs and NP practitioner??
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

cenright wrote:Thank you. As a newbie to all of this, is there a benefit to seeing a chiro vs an md vs and NP practitioner??
That will depend on your personal preferences. Your biases may be different than mine. It's worth looking at their websites and backgrounds. You might find it helpful to talk to one of the staff by phone to see how long the provider has been doing the Bredesen protocol, and how many patients they are seeing through it. As you've probably noticed, the Bredesen protocol is complex and does not follow conventional medical practices. Providers who are new at it won't be as good as someone who has been working with it and many patients for longer. Most providers don't take insurance, so it's typically all out of pocket. Many also do telemedicine, so you don't necessarily have to find someone close to home.
Slacker
E4/E4
jimcrist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jimcrist »

I have a good friend in Madison that could benefit from a Bredesen trained doctor, but I don't believe there is one in Madison. That's astonishing, considering Madison is a bit of a healthcare mecca. I've identified and contacted one in Rockford, IL however. Here's the link: https://www.ifm.org/practitioners/stephen-nitz-md/

I believe there's another one in Brookfield, but I can't find their name.

Who's your functional medicine doctor?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

cenright wrote:Thank you so much I will call Dr Nash's practice today! If you come across any other names in the Chicago area ( or Wisconsin ) please let me know. Thank you for your response!!!
jimcrist wrote: I have a good friend in Madison that could benefit from a Bredesen trained doctor, but I don't believe there is one in Madison. That's astonishing, considering Madison is a bit of a healthcare mecca. I've identified and contacted one in Rockford, IL however. Here's the link: https://www.ifm.org/practitioners/stephen-nitz-md/

I believe there's another one in Brookfield, but I can't find their name.

Who's your functional medicine doctor?
Welcome jimcrist,

Thank you for your helpful information about Dr. Nitz in Rockford, and for the tip about a doctor in Brookfield, WI. I've "quoted" cenright in my response to you, to trigger an email notification to both of you. [Our "quote" feature, clicking the single quotation mark in the upper right corner of any post to start a reply, is the equivalent of the # on Twitter--just much older in design!] You can find tips for using that, searching and "subscribing" to forum topics to be notified of any new posts on "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

I was able to find a Functional Medicine Nurse Practitioner in Brookfield, WI who has completed the Institute for Functional Medicine's "Advanced Clinical Training: Reversing Cognitive Decline". She and other people can be found by using the IFM Advanced Search option, entering only the state of Wisconsin (without a city specified) and also checking the box under Completed Coursework for the Advanced Advanced Clinical Training: Reversing Cognitive Decline, which includes training from Dr. Bredesen and others.

Although we encourage people to do their own searches, to avoid more frustration for both of you, here's a link: Reversing Cognitive Decline: Wisconsin.
We do encourage people to use the Advanced Search themselves using various criteria, as well as considering the options listed in the Wiki sections on Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner
as well as ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners and ApoE4-Aware Health Coaches. The listing of health coaches does not include their locations next to their names, although the accompanying information usually has that. Most coaches are very comfortable using online support such as video-conferencing to help support people regardless of location.

As someone whose sister went to college in Madison and who lived for a few years in neighboring MN, I hope your friend, jimcrist, and your mother, cenright, both find people they can trust and turn to for support and guidance.
4/4 and still an optimist!
jimcrist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jimcrist »

cenright wrote:If you come across any other names in the Chicago area ( or Wisconsin ) please let me know.
I just spoke to a person in the office of Dr. Nicole Fenske. She is one of the few Certified Functional Medicine practitioners in Wisconsin. She provides Functional Medicine and Chiropractic care in the Madison area. She is a Functional Medicine practitioner and Chiropractor. She is not an MD. The person that answered the phone said she's well versed on the Bredesen Protocol and has a number of patients with cognitive decline. Her website is:
http://www.madisonholistichealthcare.com/

Yesterday, I spoke with Cherri Ann Schleicher in Brookfield, WI. She's a nurse and Functional Medicine Practitioner and has trained on the Bredesen Protocol. I asked if there was an Bresesen trained MD in Brookfield and she said no. But I liked her a lot and she can order all the tests for less $$$...excellent choice. Here's her website: http://csholisticfamily.com/

I also asked the MD in Rockford (Dr. Nitz) about billing. None of these folks are going to take Medicare, but they'll give you coded bills so you can file them with Medicare. The Rockford person said:

Appointment cost is based off of complexity and time--more so complexity than time.
Your initial appointment will cost roughly $400 and you will be here for a minimum of 1.5 hours.
All follow-up appointments are anywhere from $180-$260.

Integrative Medical Associates
7177 Crimson Ridge Dr, Suite 5
Rockford, IL 61107
P: (815)977-7019
F: (815)768-1793

Lastly, Lela Iduna, MD (went to Yale), Woodstock Ill, 82 miles, 1 hour 37 minutes; $300 hour; Training: Reversing Cognitive Decline
https://www.ifm.org/practitioners/lela-iduna-md/

I'm starting to understand that the Bredesen Protocol is not the only way to go. But his research proves the idea that we need a multi-dimensional approach to this problem. His analogy is a roof with 36 holes. Patching one hole isn't going to help much. We have to test for lots of things, find out what's outta whack and then fix those things. That's why Functional Medicine is the way to go. They're more oriented on the big picture. Whereas a neurologist is just focused on the brain.

I'm starting to think it's better to go to one of these functional medicine practitioners first and let them order tests rather than to start with the $1400 ReCode program. Comments? Opinons? Thanks!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

jimcrist wrote:
cenright wrote:If you come across any other names in the Chicago area ( or Wisconsin ) please let me know.

I'm starting to understand that the Bredesen Protocol is not the only way to go. But his research proves the idea that we need a multi-dimensional approach to this problem. His analogy is a roof with 36 holes. Patching one hole isn't going to help much. We have to test for lots of things, find out what's outta whack and then fix those things. That's why Functional Medicine is the way to go. They're more oriented on the big picture. Whereas a neurologist is just focused on the brain.

I'm starting to think it's better to go to one of these functional medicine practitioners first and let them order tests rather than to start with the $1400 ReCode program. Comments? Opinons? Thanks!
Thanks so much for sharing all this information, jimcrist! You have no doubt helped people in a wide area of the Upper Midwest, and those who may find this post in the future. Please keep us posted on your adventures in plugging those holes!
4/4 and still an optimist!