sleep

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MerileeV1
New User
New User

sleep

Post by MerileeV1 »

I have been prescribed effexor as a way of getting off of estrogen patches because of factor 5 leiden. I am apoe4 hetero. is this safe for brain funciton. have tried melatonin from 2mg to 10 without help..severe menopause symptoms
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: sleep

Post by Stavia »

Hi Merilee. This is a question best asked of your doctor. Sleep issues are also a risk for AD and there is no black and white answer we can give you. Only your doctor can weigh up all your personal factors and help you make the right decision.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

MerileeV1 wrote:I have been prescribed effexor as a way of getting off of estrogen patches because of factor 5 leiden.
Greetings MerileeV1 and welcome to the apoe4.info site! Glad you posted with us! You are dealing with a complex issue... kudos for asking the right questions and being diligent in your inquiry. We would love to know more about you and what led you to our site. If you are so inclined, please feel free to share your story with us in Our Stories. The Primer is a great resource for you... it is beautifully compiled by Stavia, a physician and leading member of this site. Warm Regard!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

If you're dealing with night sweats, I've found the perfect solution (for me) -- the ChiliPad. I've had it on my bed for about a year now and I love-love-love it! It keeps my body temperatures very well regulated and I sleep so much better now because of it. The only down side is when I travel and have to sleep in hotel beds. I can't bring the ChiliPad with me on trips!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

If you're dealing with night sweats, I've found the perfect solution (for me) -- the ChiliPad. I've had it on my bed for about a year now and I love-love-love it! It keeps my body temperatures very well regulated and I sleep so much better now because of it. The only down side is when I travel and have to sleep in hotel beds. I can't bring the ChiliPad with me on trips!
I don't have night sweats, but I'm always looking to optimize sleep. Our AC system is antiquated and our bedroom is always too warm for my taste. I just ordered the Ooler, a slightly more advanced version of the ChiliPad. I won't get it till mid-August due to backorders, but I'm curious if anyone else has experimented with this? You can read more about it here.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

babl wrote:I can't bring the ChiliPad with me on trips!
Julie G wrote:I don't have night sweats, but I'm always looking to optimize sleep. Our AC system is antiquated and our bedroom is always too warm for my taste. I just ordered the Ooler, a slightly more advanced version of the ChiliPad. I won't get it till mid-August due to backorders, but I'm curious if anyone else has experimented with this? You can read more about it here.
When core temperature goes down, that signals the the body it's time to sleep, and as you already know, a cool bedroom facilitates a good night sleep.

Some recommend a warm shower before bed, sounds counter-intuitive, but the drop in temperature tells the body it's time to sleep.

What I've just started to do, so I can't really say if it's effective or not, is wear a cooling vest (has pockets with blue ice-like inserts around stomach and back) about a half hour before bedtime to lower my core temperature. I don't wear it to bed, so it does nothing to keep me cool during the night, but I'm hoping it induces a good, initial deep sleep and maybe simultaneously activates some heat shock proteins.

The company that I bought the vest from has 3 temperatures, I got the middle one (AllTuff Cooling Vest (Blue 58°F)
by Hentz MFG) and it definitely feels cold, but the upper temperature one is described as "cool" I wonder if that one could be worn while sleeping?
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

babl wrote:If you're dealing with night sweats, I've found the perfect solution (for me) -- the ChiliPad. I've had it on my bed for about a year now and I love-love-love it! It keeps my body temperatures very well regulated and I sleep so much better now because of it. The only down side is when I travel and have to sleep in hotel beds. I can't bring the ChiliPad with me on trips!
Thanks for sharing your good experience with ChiliPad. I heard about it 2 weeks ago, when it was casually mentioned in a podcast. Started reading reviews, but found them confusing. Great that this is working for you.
Heat seems to be a major challenge for me also in getting a good night’s sleep.
Noticed when I was in N. CA recently near the coast with nighttime temps in the high 50’s, sleeping with the window open and cool air pouring over me I slept really well.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote: I just ordered the Ooler, a slightly more advanced version of the ChiliPad. I won't get it till mid-August due to backorders, but I'm curious if anyone else has experimented with this? You can read more about it here.
Sounds interesting, and like the ChiliPad, is something I‘ve been reading about lately. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.
The thing that lessened my enthusiasm was that several people complained about the noise, with ChiliPad, at least, and my husband is. Super light sleeper who hates even our very quiet fan.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

floramaria wrote:
Julie G wrote: I just ordered the Ooler, a slightly more advanced version of the ChiliPad. I won't get it till mid-August due to backorders, but I'm curious if anyone else has experimented with this? You can read more about it here.
Sounds interesting, and like the ChiliPad, is something I‘ve been reading about lately. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.
The thing that lessened my enthusiasm was that several people complained about the noise, with ChiliPad, at least, and my husband is. Super light sleeper who hates even our very quiet fan.
I have a cheaper version of the ChiliPad that I got on Amazon. It's allegedly more quiet but does not come with a remote control. I don't even notice the noise (like a fan at the lowest setting) and it really does help me sleep. I set it to 71-73F. If I set it below 70, I usually wake up cold.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Plumster wrote: I have a cheaper version of the ChiliPad that I got on Amazon. It's allegedly more quiet but does not come with a remote control. I don't even notice the noise (like a fan at the lowest setting) and it really does help me sleep. I set it to 71-73F. If I set it below 70, I usually wake up cold.
“Cheaper version” and quiet too? sounds good! Do you happen to recall the name of the pad you have?
I’d love to wake up cold for a change.