23andme...Which test?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: 23andme...Which test?

Post by NF52 »

stippett wrote:From my prometheas report on gs246: "Word of caution to those with data from Ancestry.com: in our experience, based on data in OpenSNP and from Promethease users since 2006, Ancestry data always reports rs429358 as (T;T), even for people who's data from other sources indicates they are (C;T). Therefore, until Ancestry corrects this false negative problem, be aware that the ApoE genosets assigned by Promethease will be inaccurate when based on (inaccurate) Ancestry data."
Welcome, stippett!

As someone who has done some genetic digging, you probably come to this forum with a wealth of knowledge and some great insights into what works for you. You're correct that others have found that Ancestry gave them information that led them to believe that they were ApoE 3/3, only to find out later that they had one or two copies of ApoE 4. ( I haven't checked or heard recent updates to that.)
Given that more companies are offering genetic testing specifically for ApoE 4, I assume the word in getting out to more people about this allele, and options to take raw data and run it through analyses elsewhere.

Feel free to explore our site, including the Wiki, a collection of deep dives into health-related topics for those with ApoE 4 (and anyone interested in good health). The wiki section on "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website will make your explorations easier and more efficient. We also welcome people sharing their own experiences, wisdom and questions through new topic posts in Our Stories.

I hope your report gave you good information on a range of topics; I know mine did. My two adult sons were most appreciative of the news that I had not inherited the gene for early male pattern baldness from my dad, who was bald and grey-haired in his 20's! Gotta look for the silver lining in our genes!
4/4 and still an optimist!
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 23andme...Which test?

Post by SamNZ »

stippett wrote:From my prometheas report on gs246: "Word of caution to those with data from Ancestry.com: in our experience, based on data in OpenSNP and from Promethease users since 2006, Ancestry data always reports rs429358 as (T;T), even for people who's data from other sources indicates they are (C;T). Therefore, until Ancestry corrects this false negative problem, be aware that the ApoE genosets assigned by Promethease will be inaccurate when based on (inaccurate) Ancestry data."
Hi Stippett, Thank you so much for contributing to our community, it is the knowledge of the masses that is offering a valuable hand in helping people through this time and potential glitches they may come up against in their journey away from cognitive decline. I am not sure if you have been following us for a while but if not, the Primer can offer a great place to start on the website. For more specific topics please search the Wiki for more answers. Again, thanks so much for your contribution, we hope to hear more from you soon. SamNZ
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach