advanced glycation end products

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

In Dr. Bredesen's wonderful book, he says on page 189, "14. Avoid damaging your food when you cook it. The goal is for the food to taste good, while minimizing the loss of nutrients and the production of AGEs (advanced glycation end products.) AGEs are glycotoxins created by a reaction between sugars and proteins or lipids. High levels create oxidative stress, inflammation, and many of the pathologies we see with diabetes and other chronic diseases.

Moist heat, shorter cooking times, lower temperatures, using acidic ingredients such as lemon, lime, and vinegar, and food choices (uncooked plants have no AGEs; uncooked animals do have AGEs) are all methods that reduce AGEs. Grilling, searing, roasting, broiling, and frying will produce AGEs."

I've been searching through the forums and the wiki but find no mention of AGEs. If it's there, please tell me where to look. Or please tell me how he means for us to cook anything any way other than what, boiling or steaming? Otherwise, eat it raw?

Every time I find a cookbook or meal plans that I think will work, it turns out to have a lot of "saute this, saute that" and other things that Bredesen says, No No. Can anyone point me to any cookbook or any meal plans that follow his recommendations wholly?
If there aren't any, why not? I bought Gundry's cookbook but he uses lots of grains and dairy and he fries foods and/or bakes at 450.

I hope I'm making sense but maybe not because I've had a very hard time getting help on a diet I can stick with. I'm hungry all the time because I mostly eat mountains of greens.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

In Dr. Bredesen's wonderful book, he says on page 189, "14. Avoid damaging your food when you cook it. The goal is for the food to taste good, while minimizing the loss of nutrients and the production of AGEs (advanced glycation end products.) AGEs are glycotoxins created by a reaction between sugars and proteins or lipids. High levels create oxidative stress, inflammation, and many of the pathologies we see with diabetes and other chronic diseases.

Moist heat, shorter cooking times, lower temperatures, using acidic ingredients such as lemon, lime, and vinegar, and food choices (uncooked plants have no AGEs; uncooked animals do have AGEs) are all methods that reduce AGEs. Grilling, searing, roasting, broiling, and frying will produce AGEs."

I've been searching through the forums and the wiki but find no mention of AGEs. If it's there, please tell me where to look. Or please tell me how he means for us to cook anything any way other than what, boiling or steaming? Otherwise, eat it raw?

Every time I find a cookbook or a book of meal plans that I think will work, it turns out to have a lot of "saute this, saute that" and other things that Bredesen says, No No. Can anyone point me to any cookbook or any meal plans that follow his recommendations wholly?

If there aren't any, why not? I bought Gundry's cookbook but he uses lots of grains and dairy and he fries foods and/or bakes at 450, all things that Bredesen says not to do.

I hope I'm making sense but maybe I am not. I've had a very hard time getting help on a diet that I feel fulfills Bredesen's recommendations.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: advanced glycation end products

Post by TheresaB »

If I type AGEs in the search function, I get 449 matches: search.php?keywords=AGEs&terms=all&auth ... mit=Search
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

TheresaB wrote:If I type AGEs in the search function, I get 449 matches: search.php?keywords=AGEs&terms=all&auth ... mit=Search
Oh, dear. I tried and tried to search the forums but I only know to do them one at a time. Tell me how to search that way?

Berri
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Berri wrote:Tell me how to search that way
You can click on one of these two links:
Capture.JPG
You can also refer to the wiki subject "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Berri wrote:
TheresaB wrote:If I type AGEs in the search function, I get 449 matches: search.php?keywords=AGEs&terms=all&auth ... mit=Search
Oh, dear. I tried and tried to search the forums but I only know to do them one at a time. Tell me how to search that way?
Berri
I believe Theresa was not using multiple search terms, just the one - "AGEs"
Sonoma Mike
4/4
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

As far as low temperature cooking, look into 'sous vide'. I use it often. In fact, my sous vide has been running at 135F for the last five days. The food has been changed and consumed/frozen, but something has been cooking continuously. It produces very tender protein given the proper time.
DonBob
e3e4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

donbob wrote:As far as low temperature cooking, look into 'sous vide'. I use it often. In fact, my sous vide has been running at 135F for the last five days. The food has been changed and consumed/frozen, but something has been cooking continuously. It produces very tender protein given the proper time.
I got the Joule sous vider on sale during Amazon Prime day. I've been experimenting with basic, basic things (short on time) and really love it. I can't imagine cooking meat any other way (other than maybe soup in the Instant Pot). It is so tender.

I'm still learning though. Tonight I cooked a ribeye (never even bought one before!) and it had to cook quite a lot longer than the instructions (maybe 20 minutes). I buy grassfed and finished meat, which apparently there's risk of overcooking, but I also cook in pure silicone pouches, and I think they make the cooking times a little longer. Anyway, I thought ribeye was supposed to be incredibly tender. It was where it was, but as so often happens with steak, some pieces I couldn't chew through and they ended up as charms on my plate. If this is typical ribeye, I think I'll stick to New York strip for an "everyday" (not!) steak.

I skip searing because of the AGEs. The meat doesn't look as "good," but I'm getting used to the plain and simple presentation.

A dry brine in the fridge for a steak before hand is so good. Chicken breasts are to die for tender. I used to think they were tender out of the Instant Pot; now I know better :D

I think it's as easy at the Instant Pot, and especially good if you're not going to be present right when the food is done. Out raking leaves? It doesn't matter (to a point)!

Donbob what are some of your favorite recipes and tricks?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

circular wrote:
donbob wrote:As far as low temperature cooking, look into 'sous vide'. I use it often. In fact, my sous vide has been running at 135F for the last five days. The food has been changed and consumed/frozen, but something has been cooking continuously. It produces very tender protein given the proper time.
Tonight I cooked a ribeye (never even bought one before!) and it had to cook quite a lot longer than the instructions (maybe 20 minutes). I buy grassfed and finished meat, which apparently there's risk of overcooking, but I also cook in pure silicone pouches, and I think they make the cooking times a little longer. Anyway, I thought ribeye was supposed to be incredibly tender. It was where it was, but as so often happens with steak, some pieces I couldn't chew through and they ended up as charms on my plate. If this is typical ribeye, I think I'll stick to New York strip for an "everyday" (not!) steak.
The other thing about this ribeye was that when I took it out of the store package it pretty much started falling apart (?!). Is that normal? I experimented recently by splurging on GrassRootsCoop meat, expensive but/and amazing. I'm trying to spend less while staying healthy so thinking through where else I might get good meat for less. I found myself in a Walmart unexpectedly today and checked their meat out. They had grassfed and finished much cheaper than GRC. While skeptical, I thought I'd try it. I suspect the meat had been frozen and thawed more than once. Def GRC is the way to go for anyone with the extra money for so many reasons, but I wonder where the best quality/price value is for those of us needing to watch our spending.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

circular wrote: Donbob what are some of your favorite recipes and tricks?
Highly marbled roasts 48 hours at 135F are my favorite. I reserve the juice for sauce. Chuck roast is very inexpensive and really flavorful. For holidays or large gatherings, I have a medium-large cooler with a modified lid that has a hole for the circulator. This is good for long racks of ribs or large quantity of meat.
DonBob
e3e4