Is Red Wine OK?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is Red Wine OK?

Post by jkramer65 »

I'm always so torn about this. Should we drink? Probably not. Do I drink. Sure I do. I drink wine with my dinner. Maybe I shouldn't be doing that. But my Hba1c is 4.6, my fasting insulin is 3.8 and my fasting glucose is 85. My CR-P is .2 and Homocysteine is 5.6
Is the issue all about sugar? Is my enjoyment a stress reducer which is also a risk reducer? It is so complicated.

So I'm torn because I still want to enjoy my life and I want to be as close as I can to the protocol and live a healthy life. It is a balance. I could still get AD or maybe I'll never get it. It is really a crap shoot and we do what we can do reduce risk. But I worry that I can get obsessed with the disease when I don't even have it.

Just my thoughts and not a judgement of others or even saying I'm doing the right thing. Just thoughts.
Emerald
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emerald »

jkramer65 wrote:I'm always so torn about this. Should we drink? Probably not. Do I drink. Sure I do. I drink wine with my dinner. Maybe I shouldn't be doing that. But my Hba1c is 4.6, my fasting insulin is 3.8 and my fasting glucose is 85. My CR-P is .2 and Homocysteine is 5.6
Is the issue all about sugar? Is my enjoyment a stress reducer which is also a risk reducer? It is so complicated.

So I'm torn because I still want to enjoy my life and I want to be as close as I can to the protocol and live a healthy life. It is a balance. I could still get AD or maybe I'll never get it. It is really a crap shoot and we do what we can do reduce risk. But I worry that I can get obsessed with the disease when I don't even have it.

Just my thoughts and not a judgement of others or even saying I'm doing the right thing. Just thoughts.
Personally, I’m in my late twenties and live in a major city that offers fantastic social opportunities, including wine bars and some world famous restaurants. I’m not going to give up enjoying some drinks at the end of the week when I make mostly healthy lifestyle choices (maintaining my BMI of 19; eating mostly veggies, healthy fats and oils, and wild-caught salmon; saying goodbye to grains except perhaps on occasion I can have some oats paired with a protein to avoid glucose spikes; cutting back on fruit and sticking to mostly small servings of dark berries; meditating; exercising; avoiding smoking, etc.). I’m also not going full blown keto and dropping to <50 carbs, unless my measurements become less favorable and a knowledgeable doctor and I decide it’s best.

Dr. Bredesen and Dr. Gundry both say a 6 oz glass of wine or a small serving of dark spirits a few times a week is fine. I just have several of those on Friday or Saturday, and perhaps that’s too much for one night in particular based on some stricter guidelines, but I’m not going to feel guilty about it. I didn’t drink for a year and a half as an experiment (unrelated to APOE), and while I am 100% capable of going out and having a fabulous time sober (sometimes I’d even get a psychogenic buzz and forget I wasn’t actually drinking alcohol!), I do like to have a nice buzz. I don’t even like being “hammered” or getting “trashed,” although I was a bit different during my college days. ;)

I’m a 3/4, and worrying about Alzheimer’s to the point that I give up everything I enjoy in my twenties isn’t for me.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

jkramer65 wrote:Is the issue all about sugar? Is my enjoyment a stress reducer which is also a risk reducer? It is so complicated.
Sugar is a part of it, particularly if you have metabolic syndrome. In that regard, red wine or non-mixed drinks are best. Beyond that, alcohol is a poison, and your liver makes it a priority to remove it, which means it is not doing something else useful that it should be doing instead. That's not to say life is not a balance. I drink alcohol, but trying to keep it down.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
donbob
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donbob »

bikerman wrote:...Is it better to give up alcohol altogether, including red wine?..
. Perhaps it is different for each individual. In my case, a glass of red wine or two at Christmas, Thanksgiving, family, and close friends gatherings doesn’t seem to have a deleterious effect. I almost never test high glucose after a meal with wine.
DonBob
e3e4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

bikerman wrote:Is it better to give up alcohol altogether, including red wine? Bredesen says that one glass or less per day is ok, but implies that none would be better. Does anyone know the rationale?
jkramer65 wrote:Is the issue all about sugar?
Thought I'd add that sleep is also a factor worth considering: alcohol disrupts REM sleep. It's unfortunate that people typically drink in the evening.
4/4
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jkramer65 »

Emerald wrote:
jkramer65 wrote:I'm always so torn about this. Should we drink? Probably not. Do I drink. Sure I do. I drink wine with my dinner. Maybe I shouldn't be doing that. But my Hba1c is 4.6, my fasting insulin is 3.8 and my fasting glucose is 85. My CR-P is .2 and Homocysteine is 5.6

Personally, I’m in my late twenties and live in a major city that offers fantastic social opportunities, including wine bars and some world famous restaurants. I’m not going to give up enjoying some drinks at the end of the week when I make mostly healthy lifestyle choices (maintaining my BMI of 19; eating mostly veggies, healthy fats and oils, and wild-caught salmon; saying goodbye to grains except perhaps on occasion I can have some oats paired with a protein to avoid glucose spikes; cutting back on fruit and sticking to mostly small servings of dark berries; meditating; exercising; avoiding smoking, etc.). I’m also not going full blown keto and dropping to <50 carbs, unless my measurements become less favorable and a knowledgeable doctor and I decide it’s best.

Dr. Bredesen and Dr. Gundry both say a 6 oz glass of wine or a small serving of dark spirits a few times a week is fine. I just have several of those on Friday or Saturday, and perhaps that’s too much for one night in particular based on some stricter guidelines, but I’m not going to feel guilty about it. I didn’t drink for a year and a half as an experiment (unrelated to APOE), and while I am 100% capable of going out and having a fabulous time sober (sometimes I’d even get a psychogenic buzz and forget I wasn’t actually drinking alcohol!), I do like to have a nice buzz. I don’t even like being “hammered” or getting “trashed,” although I was a bit different during my college days. ;)

I’m a 3/4, and worrying about Alzheimer’s to the point that I give up everything I enjoy in my twenties isn’t for me.

WELL...If you live in NYC I'll meet you for a drink! lol! Totally agree with you.