Google as Big Brother?

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Google as Big Brother?

Post by thjj »

Most people don't realize that the more your search on google, the more they're collecting info from you & selling it for free. As such, I've rarely used it for several years now, & go to wikipedia if I just need straight facts and a couple of months ago started using duckduckgo from a recommendation from a scholar on booktv.

BTW, apoe4.info comes up on page 6 on google for me as well.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

thjj wrote:go to wikipedia if I just need straight facts
I'm leery of Wikipedia. It can be edited by anyone and many organizations with deep pockets and agendas edit Wikipedia.

Take for one example Monsanto, now owned by Bayer, in the findings of the glyphosate lawsuit. The jury awarded that huge sum, not because the person was dying of cancer caused by the glyphosate, but because of all their systematic bad behavior, misinformation and outright lying machine.

Even research papers can't be trusted. Remember last year when dozens of papers from that Harvard heart researcher were found to have been falsified and/or fabricated data.

And in more news in protesting "big brother" today Dr Mercola announced he is withdrawing from Facebook in part because they promote ads with misinfomation, anything that doesn't parrot the drug industry's propaganda. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... ebook.aspx
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

TheresaB wrote:many organizations with deep pockets and agendas edit Wikipedia. Take for one example Monsanto
Can you be specific? To which Monsanto-edited article(s) are you referring?
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

This is the final straw for me. I just changed over to DuckDuckGo. TheresaB I don't think you are a tinfoil hat conspiracist at all!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

MarcR wrote:Can you be specific?
Here are examples about manipulating Wikipedia

Facebook, Axios And NBC Paid This Guy To Whitewash Wikipedia Pages

The North Face Comes Under Fire For Manipulating Wikipedia Pages For Marketing

Manipulating Wikipedia to Promote a Bogus Business School

Mike Winder accused of manipulating Wikipedia page with multiple accounts in violation of ethics policy

And regarding Monsanto, there’s this article and quotes from the article One man's suffering exposed Monsanto's secrets to the world
The company [Monsanto] has employed a range of tactics – some drawn from the same playbook used by the tobacco industry in defending the safety of cigarettes – to suppress and manipulate scientific literature, harass journalists and scientists who did not parrot the company’s propaganda, and arm-twist and collude with regulators.
The company often pushed its version of science into the public realm through ghostwritten work that was designed to appear independent and thus more credible.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

So you are aware of no examples of Monsanto modifying Wikipedia pages in dishonest and self-serving fashion? Recall that you said this:
I'm leery of Wikipedia. It can be edited by anyone and many organizations with deep pockets and agendas edit Wikipedia. Take for one example Monsanto
With respect to the Axios example, it's instructive to visit the Axios Wikipedia page, which currently includes this section discussing the incident transparently.

And while the HuffPost article emphasizes the Axios consultant's success in prompting changes to the Axios article, I have a different take. As I read the article, I was impressed by the substantial safeguards built into the Wikipedia editorial structure. The many examples of the consultant's "success" didn't include anything more than subtle shades of interpretation. The description of the tortuous process required for such minor adjustments left me even more confident in Wikipedia's credibility.

As for me, I'm skeptical ("leery"?) of every source, but I would single out Wikipedia as one of the more credible sources of information in the world today.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

My results searching ApoE4
DuckDuckGo: ApoE4.Info is first
Google: ApoE4.Info is halfway down the SIXTH page!
Bing: ApoE4,Info 4th post (just after Wikipedia)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

If you search Google, and confine to last 24 hours, ApoE4.Info is first...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

Ironically, apoe4.info comes up second on duckduckgo, just after Wikipedia.
· • She/her · • ·
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

thjj wrote:Ironically, apoe4.info comes up second on duckduckgo, just after Wikipedia.
bing is the same result as above.
(btw, I just checked duckduckgo again, & apoe4 is now #1 :)
· • She/her · • ·