Fascinating podcast on APOE4 and keto diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
kevmusic
Contributor
Contributor

Fascinating podcast on APOE4 and keto diet

Post by kevmusic »

Dr. Paul Saladino is one of the one of the main proponents of the carnivore (i.e. plant free) diet. diet. In this podcast he discusses keto for APOE4s with Dr. Tommy Wood. Its a really interesting general discussion where the key point is that context is all: We APOE4s may be vulnerable to Alzheimers if, in a modern context, our insulin goes awry and we get ourselves on the path to diabetes. But they mention some interesting new research on the Bolivian Tsimonae tribe In the Tsimonae's hunter gatherer context it seems that for them APOE4 is protective of cognition in the elderly! (yes, protective). Here's the podcast: https://carnivoremd.com/tommy-wood-md-p ... s-disease/

The Tsimonae paper is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5349792/
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fascinating podcast on APOE4 and keto diet

Post by antimatter37 »

A very interesting and long podcast that covers many topics of interest. My primary takeaway would be that Dr. Wood is of the opinion, similar to Dr. Bredesen, that there are many different roads that lead to stress and subsequent inflammation and long-term damage in the brain. These include poor sleep patterns, physical damage (concussion), pathogens, dietary or nutrient factors, insulin resistance, and others. In APOE4 types, such as ourselves, these assaults lead to more intense responses from the brain, even damaging responses that may far exceed the response to the same assaults that APOE3's would experience. It is the result of these continual over-the-top responses that APOE4 brains degrade faster over time than our APOE3 friends.

It is also Dr. Wood's opinion that if APOE4 persons could drastically reduce the instigators of these over-the-top responses (poor sleep, pathogens, insulin resistance, concussion, etc.) we would potentially benefit from our APOE4 status in terms of increased lifespan owing to our ability to fight off things like infection better than those without APOE4. Now that's what I like to hear!
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicBean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MagicBean »

Last edited by MagicBean on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Paul Saladino interviews Dr. Tommy Wood...APOE4...Keto...Carnivore Diet

Post by TheresaB »

This was already posted here, if you want to read the comments.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6504#p69955
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dr. Paul Saladino interviews Dr. Tommy Wood...APOE4...Keto...Carnivore Diet

Post by BrianR »

TheresaB wrote:This was already posted here, if you want to read the comments.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6504#p69955
That thread seems very self-referential, perhaps you meant this thread?

https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3275 "NY Times article on theory that parasitic infection may be reason APOE4 was once protective"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

That thread seems very self-referential, perhaps you meant this thread?
Only because I merged the topics. They used to be separate. Thanks for the additional link to the NYT's article thread. I listened to this yesterday and found it to be very informative. Tommy Woods knows his stuff and has clearly thought deeply about ApoE4 which I greatly appreciate. We need more researchers like him. His information on the Tsimane and heart disease was particularly interesting.

FWIW, I thought that the host made one fairly bold claim about early man being carnivorous, hence ApoE4 carriers could benefit from an exclusively carnivorous diet, to be a little out there. :? Perhaps I misunderstood. From my take of the evidence, early man was omnivorous but may have eaten an exclusively carnivorous diet during the ice age, seasonally, or as dictated by geographic region when other food wasn't available. As Magic Bean points out, the Tsimane (with a high prevalence of ApoE4 and low chronic disease risk including AD/CVD) don't eat a lot of meat. As hunter gatherers, they eat what's seasonally available to them as described here. I listened to this podcast back-to-back with the one Circ recommended in this thread. It's very clear that there's no one optimal diet for everyone, including ApoE4 carriers, but we do have a decent amount of evidence to suggest that a hunter gatherer lifestyle may be most compatible with our genome.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Julie G wrote:... From my take of the evidence, early man was omnivorous but may have eaten an exclusively carnivorous diet during the ice age, seasonally, or as dictated by geographic region when other food wasn't available. ...
Just a minor quibble. Remember that the preponderance of "modern" and antecessor humans would not have lived in areas where ice age glaciation meant that few plant resources were available. (But I would agree that it makes sense that humans would have eaten more meat when the seasonal economics of doing so were favorable.)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Just a minor quibble. Remember that the preponderance of "modern" and antecessor humans would not have lived in areas where ice age glaciation meant that few plant resources were available. (But I would agree that it makes sense that humans would have eaten more meat when the seasonal economics of doing so were favorable.)
Help me understand, Brian. Are you suggesting that early man wouldn't have lived in areas affected by glaciation?