best test for gut health

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Moomin
Contributor
Contributor

best test for gut health

Post by Moomin »

What test do folks recommend for testing gut health? I've had food sensitivities for several years and mostly avoid foods that bother me but I'm really not sure that I've understand the complete list of bothersome foods. Also, I'd just like to heal my gut.

I'm 3/4 for apoe, my parent are also 3/4s and my Dad has been living with dementia for the last six years. I tested with AHNP in January 2019 with the intention of reducing my risks but, honestly, I realize that I'm not always recognizing faces that I would have recognized a few years ago. That freaks me out and I'm so grateful for this resource.

My highest risk factors are glycotoxicity and toxicity, followed by trophic loss and inflammation. My hormones were off - estradiol was 0, cortisol, DHEA-sulfate, Free T4, progesterone and testosterone were all low. Potassium, RBC mg and serum copper were all low. My HDL was 60.4 and triglycerides were 64 - green; my LDL was 142.8 and total cholesterol was 216 - red.

Second question - could leaky gut issues impact hormonal levels?

I've improved my fasting glucose so that it's typically below 90; almost daily 16 hour fast; incorporating more exercise. Eating more fish and less red meat. Mostly grain free. Taking a slew of supplements including DHEA and pregnenolone which I'm hoping has helped with the hormonal panel.

Thank you for any input you might have!
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Re: best test for gut health

Post by CoachMT »

Moomin wrote:What test do folks recommend for testing gut health? I've had food sensitivities for several years and mostly avoid foods that bother me but I'm really not sure that I've understand the complete list of bothersome foods. Also, I'd just like to heal my gut.

I'm 3/4 for apoe, my parent are also 3/4s and my Dad has been living with dementia for the last six years. I tested with AHNP in January 2019 with the intention of reducing my risks but, honestly, I realize that I'm not always recognizing faces that I would have recognized a few years ago. That freaks me out and I'm so grateful for this resource.

My highest risk factors are glycotoxicity and toxicity, followed by trophic loss and inflammation. My hormones were off - estradiol was 0, cortisol, DHEA-sulfate, Free T4, progesterone and testosterone were all low. Potassium, RBC mg and serum copper were all low. My HDL was 60.4 and triglycerides were 64 - green; my LDL was 142.8 and total cholesterol was 216 - red.

I've improved my fasting glucose so that it's typically below 90; almost daily 16 hour fast; incorporating more exercise. Eating more fish and less red meat. Mostly grain free. Taking a slew of supplements including DHEA and pregnenolone which I'm hoping has helped with the hormonal panel.

Welcome to the Apoe4.info community Moomin- it’s great to have you as a member! Kudos to you for proactively getting tested and taking steps to understand and enhance your own brain health and overall wellness! It sounds like you are already taking lots of positive steps (improving fasting glucose, restricting feeding window, reducing grains, recommended supplements, etc) to reduce your risk factors- what great news! And it sounds like you are passionate about learning and dive into your interests with gusto, what a gift!

I can imagine it has been difficult to watch your father as he’s been living with dementia and then questioning yourself at the slightest inkling you may be exhibiting any symptoms. Please be assured this forum is information and support- rich and you’ll be in good hands digging into the research and discussions to learn more.

If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the ApoE4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the ApoE4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. In addition, you may be interested in checking out the Wiki section on GI Health to dive deeper into tests and recommendations for Gut health and healing. Cryex Labs Array 2 can be used to diagnose leaky gut and is also discussed on pages 145 and 146 of Dr. Dale Bredesen’s The End of Alzheimer’s book.

I am not up to speed the linkages/or not between gut health and hormones, however being that there are so many knowledge forum members, I’m guessing you’ll receive a reply or resource links on that question in the near future.

Additionally, I thought you may also be interested in checking out eating a healthy diet with heaps of micronutrients, get some inspiration and new ideas for meals from the Recipes from Members section, and read the thread on Our Stories to share your story with members and learn about fellow community members who are embarking on this journey as well.

Welcome to the forum and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!
Best,
Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Moomin wrote:What test do folks recommend for testing gut health? I've had food sensitivities for several years and mostly avoid foods that bother me but I'm really not sure that I've understand the complete list of bothersome foods. Also, I'd just like to heal my gut.

Welcome to the forum Moomin!
I cannot imaging how challenging its to watch your parent struggle with health issues! I am sorry that your family is going through a difficult time.

I am happy to hear you have been proactive about your own health and signed up with Dr. Bredesen's program.
Great news about lowering your fasting glucose and successfully implementing intermediated fasting and exercise into your lifestyle. These are all big positive changes!

I am not sure about leaky gut and hormones connection but after a search in Pubmed data base I found this review explaining a possible connection between steroid hormones, stress and gut microbiome.
Another factors to consider when assessing hormones are the age, gender, some nutritional factors.

When it comes to gastrointestinal testing I like GI Maptest by Diagnostic Solution. It is a functional DNA/qPCR stool test which looks for different pathogens like parasites, worms, yeast/fungi, opportunistic bacteria, etc., intestinal health and Zonulin (add on).
This test does not look for food sensitivities and most likely has to be ordered by Functional Medicine practitioner.
It is a helpful tool in assessing sources of possible inflammation and in general your gastrointestinal health.

I hope you will find this helpful. Please do not hesitate to post if questions come up.

My best,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Moomin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Moomin »

If you haven’t seen it already, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the ApoE4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the ApoE4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. In addition, you may be interested in checking out the Wiki section on GI Health to dive deeper into tests and recommendations for Gut health and healing. Cryex Labs Array 2 can be used to diagnose leaky gut and is also discussed on pages 145 and 146 of Dr. Dale Bredesen’s The End of Alzheimer’s book.

Welcome to the forum and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions!
Best,
Mandy[/quote]

Mandy, thank you for your warm welcome. I am looking through the primer - it's very thorough and so much to take in! Very useful. I 'did' know about Cyrex Labs Array 2 test - the naturopath that I'm working with was very lukewarm about it and I kinda lost track of it. He basically said it works for some and not for others. I feel like my gut health issues are not being directly addressed and they are impacting me so I'd like to do more.

Again, thank you. Folks on this forum are really lovely.
Moomin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Moomin »

When it comes to gastrointestinal testing I like GI Maptest by Diagnostic Solution. It is a functional DNA/qPCR stool test which looks for different pathogens like parasites, worms, yeast/fungi, opportunistic bacteria, etc., intestinal health and Zonulin (add on).
This test does not look for food sensitivities and most likely has to be ordered by Functional Medicine practitioner.
It is a helpful tool in assessing sources of possible inflammation and in general your gastrointestinal health.

My best,
Magda[/quote]

Thank you, Magda! When I looked at this website I couldn't find prices. Do you know the ball park figure for this test if insurance doesn't pay?

Thanks again!
Moomin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Moomin »

Any thoughts on Genova Diagnostics CDSA 2.0, (comprehensive diagnostic stool analysis)?

So, I mostly don't eat foods that seem to bother me. When I do I experience some bloating, constipation and some brain fog. It's the brain fog that concerns me the most. With these symptoms, is there a test you'd recommend from among these three - Cyrex Array 2, GI Map from Diagnostic Solution or the Genova Diagnostics CDSA 2.0?

Thanks so much!