Is AHNP Health a trustworthy company?

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Is AHNP Health a trustworthy company?

Post by ru442 »

MSV wrote:Hello All
MSV we can appreciate your frustration, but as Theresa and Slacker stated, we are not affiliated with any companies, practitioners, or businesses mentioned in this forum. We are a community of APOE4 carriers (and many non APOE4 carriers) being citizen scientists, exchanging information, experiences, and life style changes conducive to our genotype in an effort to prevent or delay Alzheimer's.

Many of us here have not engaged nor participated in a managed program when we started our protocols, they simply didn't exist. The primer was the starting point for me, along with all the helpful sugestions and support from this community. Follow the primer, ask questions and you WILL get support and quality experienced based feedback.

As many here will attest, it is not a race it's a marathon. Take it one step at a time, take more steps as you feel more comfortable. What you can be sure of is the process works, you will feel more energetic, healthy, and overall will increase your odds of NOT getting or at a minimum delaying the onset of Alzheimer's until a very late age.

While you wait for a response I encourage you to begin your journey, ask lots of questions (there are no dumb questions here!!), and be optimistic that there are other choices. In the end YOU are the only one who can decide what's best, as you learn how your mind and body adapt to this new chapter in your life.

Hugs

RU

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
MSV
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is AHNP Health a trustworthy company?

Post by MSV »

Thank you for your responses! I do realize that Apoe4.info is not connected with AHNP. I probably needed reminding to be my most courteous and tolerant. :)
Coincidentally, I received my Recode results yesterday after posting here. They were sent to me in an email since AHNP is still having difficulties with the technical aspects of working with Quest. But the company is doing its best, I think.

I appreciate you for suggesting starting specific posts for me to read. I am working my way through the Primer. What a resource! And I'll pass along advice and information to two of my sisters and my daughter who have also recently tested with the 3/4 version of Apoe4. And so heredity marks it's course...

The biggest issue I've had so far is loss of weight - which I can't afford - since I've begun cutting out sugar and high gluten foods and adding more vegetables. I'm now officially below the lowest recommended weight for my height on the charts. Does anyone have any suggestions about that? It's really hard for me to gain weight.

Thanks again for your community and support.

Margaret
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

MSV wrote: The biggest issue I've had so far is loss of weight - which I can't afford - since I've begun cutting out sugar and high gluten foods and adding more vegetables. I'm now officially below the lowest recommended weight for my height on the charts. Does anyone have any suggestions about that? It's really hard for me to gain weight.

Margaret
I also struggled and had to add some good carb, sweet potatoes cooked then cooled and reheated are great for resistant starch. I also have some basmati rice, soaked first for 30 minutes to remove starch, then add to boiling water and salt. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes, then set aside for 5 minutes. Cool in the fridge and then reheat. This is another resistant starch. You obviously don't need to be calorie restricted, so I would eat as much as possible (which I do). The trick is finding the right balance for you, low carb may not be right for you now, just keep eating healthy organic foods. At some point along your journey you can revisit.

RU

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MSV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MSV »

Thank you, RU. I will try both of your suggestions about sweet potatoes and rice. Good idea to cook ahead of time and save in the frig.

MSV
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

ru442 wrote:
MSV wrote: The biggest issue I've had so far is loss of weight - which I can't afford - since I've begun cutting out sugar and high gluten foods and adding more vegetables. I'm now officially below the lowest recommended weight for my height on the charts. Does anyone have any suggestions about that? It's really hard for me to gain weight.

Margaret
I also struggled and had to add some good carb, sweet potatoes cooked then cooled and reheated are great for resistant starch. I also have some basmati rice, soaked first for 30 minutes to remove starch, then add to boiling water and salt. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes, then set aside for 5 minutes. Cool in the fridge and then reheat. This is another resistant starch. You obviously don't need to be calorie restricted, so I would eat as much as possible (which I do). The trick is finding the right balance for you, low carb may not be right for you now, just keep eating healthy organic foods. At some point along your journey you can revisit.

RU

What about adding EVOO or other good fat? Good idea or not?

ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is AHNP Health a trustworthy company?

Post by ru442 »

Berri wrote:
ru442 wrote:

Margaret

RU

What about adding EVOO or other good fat? Good idea or not?

Yep... EVOO, nuts, and avocados all have good fats. I ate a lot of avocado when they were cheap, now they can be pricey, especially organic.

slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

I've had trouble maintaining weight as well, and risk being underweight. Not getting enough nutrients also has negative impact on cognition. I agree with adding avocados, EVOO, and nuts. Adding more fat to my diet has greatly improved my "crash and burn" a few hours after eating! In order to keep on weight, I follow a more Mediterranean style diet, and eat when hungry. I've added fish and seafood most days, and minimize processed food and sugar. I don't eat meat for a variety of personal reasons. I am able to keep an overnight fast of 12-13 hours. (and am enormously respectful of our plant based keto brothers and sisters who can fast longer, be in nutritional ketosis, and feel great! 8-) ) Each of us has to find our own way in what works best for us as individuals.
Slacker
E4/E4
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I would like to encourage all of us here now and those who find this topic in the future to continue to share positive and negative experiences about AHNP. The company appears still to be struggling to provide a quality customer service experience. This community needs to know when and if AHNP rights its ship.

This passage in our Community Guidelines ...
Respect. All posts and private messages should be courteous. Disagree with ideas, not people. You may not attack, insult, undermine, or belittle anyone. This broad prohibition extends beyond other members and this community to the world at large.
... does not proscribe negative remarks. No individuals were attacked, and no broad generalizations were made. MSV simply shared her poor experience of and frustration with AHNP's customer service.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

MSV wrote:...
Coincidentally, I received my Recode results yesterday after posting here. They were sent to me in an email since AHNP is still having difficulties with the technical aspects of working with Quest. But the company is doing its best, I think.

I appreciate you for suggesting starting specific posts for me to read. I am working my way through the Primer. What a resource! And I'll pass along advice and information to two of my sisters and my daughter who have also recently tested with the 3/4 version of Apoe4. And so heredity marks it's course...

Margaret
Welcome Margaret!
We're so glad you joined our community--because that's who we are: a community of people who rally around each other in times of frustration or worry or confusion, and who celebrate with each other the big and small moments that make this journey worthwhile. Some of those are figuring out what to eat to gain weight (and others know more about than I do) and some of it is celebrating just getting the darn blood labs and reports so you know where you are!

You mentioned working your way through the Primer. I like to think that Dr. Stavia's wisdom and advice is like a well that I can go back to whenever I want, so I don't have to drink up everything at once! I also have appreciated her advice to go slow, start with what is do-able for you and recognize when the science is unsettled (which may mean that many answers exist to some questions). To help you find your way around the rest of this site, you may want to browse "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It explains how to search for topics, find unread posts, subscribe to forum posts (like yours!) so you get notified of any new responses, and other tips.

And feel free to ask questions and open up new post topics whenever it seems right for you! As someone who is 67 and ApoE 4/4, I'm a big believer that blood tests are important, but so is our optimism, our exercise, our sleep, our continued use of our brain (as in reading the Primer!) and our social networks--all of which have been shown to be associated with years-long delay (and maybe prevention) of cognitive decline in people with ApoE4.

You and your sisters and daughter are some of the strong women and men who are going to prove that "genes are not destiny".
4/4 and still an optimist!
MSV
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MSV »

Thank you, NF52. Your letter to me was such a wonderful message of support. I can't say enough how I appreciate it. I will try to take a deep breath and work away at this a bit at a time. I have started to take some supplements and cut out most sugar. I've been an exerciser from way back but am now paying attention to sleep too. Ironic that now that I have time to sleep, it's sometimes difficult to achieve. ;) My daughter isn't ready to embrace this but my sisters and I welcome your company and wisdom.