Lewy Body: Same Bredesen prescription?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
PeterM
Contributor
Contributor

Lewy Body: Same Bredesen prescription?

Post by PeterM »

Combing the archives I can find almost nothing addressing whether Lewy Body Dementia would likely respond to either the ReCode protocol or to any number of other interventions discussed on this site.

In short, I have a long time acquaintance who has just been diagnosed with probable early Lewy Body Dementia. It’s presenting as early / mid MCI but with more DLB features than classic Alzheimer’s features. The person in question is a vital 70 year old man, financially stable, and has a deep family support bench. But of course I hesitate to stick my nose into something so serious when I don’t feel fully grounded where Lewy Body interventions intersect with something like ReCode. My impression has been (and much googling this morning hasn’t added much) that DLB is different than Alzheimer’s. Or at least different enough to give me pause before recommending Bredesen.

So, to any who might feel knowledgeable enough to offer advice I ask: Do we in fact know enough about DLD to go ahead and make an informed guess and recommend the End of Alzheimer’s to such a family? It’s an interesting question and one I think the forum will benefit from archiving. Thanks for the help. Like everyone says, you guys are great.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Lewy Body: Same Bredesen prescription?

Post by TheresaB »

In his book, The End of Alzheimer's, Dr Bredesen has a quoted question, "
Does this program work for other causes of cognitive decline such as Lewy body dementia, vascular dementia, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's and Frontotemporal degeneration?"
His response in the book is this,
"This is an important question, but we don't yet have an answer. ReCODE was designed to address the mechanisms that drive the process of cognitive decline that causes Alzheimer's Disease and to address as many as possible of those mechanisms. As it happens, however, many of the same problems (insulin resistance, leaky gut, biotoxins, and more) that contribute to Alzheimer's disease also affect type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease. It is possible that non Alzheimer's neurodegenerative diseases like Lewy body disease share the same mechanisms.
Certainly I don't see how adopting Dr Bredesen's protocol could hurt, so much of what Dr Bredesen advocates benefits just plain old good health: lowering insulin resistance, lowering inflammation, lowering toxic exposure, etc. But from what I understand, it is unknown/unexplored if the protocol helps the other dementias. I belong to a facebook group dedicated to Dr Bredesen's protocol and some have said it helps the other dementias, others say no. But then dementia is very complex.

Dr Bredesen has researched neurodegeneration for 30 years. He's found that for all degenerative conditions, there’s a mismatch between the supply and demand for a certain subdomain of the nervous system. Problems occur when demand exceeds support. But, from my minimal knowledge, since as an APOEe4, I've mostly concentrated on Alzheimer's, what exactly that imbalance is for Lewy Body Dementia appears to be somewhat different than for Alzheimer's, so I don't know if following Dr Bredesen's protocol would "hit the nail on the head" or not. I certainly wish you the best whatever you decide.

Maybe someone else knows more.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
PeterM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PeterM »

Thanks, Theresa, for weighing in. I appreciate your wide ranging response. That definitely helps. I agree with all you offered, and, yes, it only makes sense that any early dementia intervention using ReCode could not hurt and in all likelihood would be moderating to some degree.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

PeterM wrote:Combing the archives I can find almost nothing addressing whether Lewy Body Dementia would likely respond to either the ReCode protocol or to any number of other interventions discussed on this site.
Hi Peter, I have worked with a client who has realized an almost total reversal after being diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia... as evidenced by clients family and subsequent testing by the Mayo Clinic. He closely followed the ReCODE/Reverse Protocol and had a supportive family member by his side. While everyone's journey is different, I can vouch for one successful reversal with this diagnosis. Good luck!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
PeterM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PeterM »

Sara wrote:
PeterM wrote:Combing the archives I can find almost nothing addressing whether Lewy Body Dementia would likely respond to either the ReCode protocol or to any number of other interventions discussed on this site.
Hi Peter, I have worked with a client who has realized an almost total reversal after being diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia... as evidenced by clients family and subsequent testing by the Mayo Clinic. He closely followed the ReCODE/Reverse Protocol and had a supportive family member by his side. While everyone's journey is different, I can vouch for one successful reversal with this diagnosis. Good luck!
Sara, thank you! That is some encouraging news and makes for a very intriguing n=1 case.
SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SamNZ »

Following this now, working with a Lewy Body Dementia sufferer, started some of the protocol - hope it may help
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 101230.htm

The above link might help. Lewy Body Disease is typically a alpha synuclien aggregation and or mis-folding problem. I don’t see how a slow and steady application of the Bredesen Protocol could hurt. It is pretty much a risk free approach.