need for help about lab results

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: need for help about lab results

Post by cdamaden »

Chris Masterjohn revised his recommendation earlier this year https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/201 ... eficiency/ on lowering homocysteine to include more focus on vitamin B2/riboflavin (although a dose of 3-5mg/day doesn't seem like much when many supplements have 50mg). Looking at wikipedia, "Unfortified nutritional yeast provides from 35 to 100 percent of vitamins B1 and B2."

So if you're OK in B12 and B9/folate, perhaps the unfortified nutritional yeast can help.

Personally, I worked really hard to lower my homocysteine (~12 mg/dL) using his earlier protocol with no change and have decided to consult with him to get a more tailored result. Here's his current recommendation:
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/201 ... thylation/

Chris
Julie G wrote: Thanks! this stuff looks much better than what I'm currently using- Bragg. I like to season with nutritional yeast and will move onto this next. :D It's worth noting that this product would not be appropriate to address elevated homocysteine as there is no B12 or folate and (as you mentioned) it would require a pretty hefty dose to get your B6.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Chris Masterjohn revised his recommendation earlier this year https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/201 ... eficiency/ on lowering homocysteine to include more focus on vitamin B2/riboflavin (although a dose of 3-5mg/day doesn't seem like much when many supplements have 50mg). Looking at wikipedia, "Unfortified nutritional yeast provides from 35 to 100 percent of vitamins B1 and B2."

So if you're OK in B12 and B9/folate, perhaps the unfortified nutritional yeast can help.

Personally, I worked really hard to lower my homocysteine (~12 mg/dL) using his earlier protocol with no change and have decided to consult with him to get a more tailored result. Here's his current recommendation:
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/201 ... thylation/
Yes, good stuff, Chris. I've also been following the newer developments. I guess the bigger question for me: Does Chris Masterjohn really recommending fortified nutritional yeast to address elevated homocysteine. I tend to think of him as a whole foods guy...
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:Does Chris Masterjohn really recommending fortified nutritional yeast to address elevated homocysteine. I tend to think of him as a whole foods guy...
Julie did you see my reply before Chris' reply? I don't know of Chris Masterjohn ever recommending nutritional yeast of any kind to address elevated homocysteine, but sorry if I'd made it sound that way in my earlier post.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

So no pill recommendations lol :)

Looking for something easy to take.........

All the best friends.

Rick
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Julie did you see my reply before Chris' reply? I don't know of Chris Masterjohn ever recommending nutritional yeast of any kind to address elevated homocysteine, but sorry if I'd made it sound that way in my earlier post.
Ah, no. I see it now. I'm glad that the folic acid (bleh!) fortification has come to light. I just bought a new bottle of Bragg and am tempted to toss it. I'm also just about to re-test homocysteine. I don't have any major MTHFR genes and have been playing around with my supplementation schedule; only taking B12, folate and P5P a few days a week, but ensuring adequate choline and riboflavin as well. My last level was under 8. Fingers crossed for this one. Please share your results when you get them. And, apologies to filiz for the nutritional yeast hijack. ;)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Richard McG wrote:So no pill recommendations
You might look at Seeking Health's HomocysteX. https://www.seekinghealth.com/collectio ... 0-capsules

The dosages fit Bredesen's recommendations and it includes riboflavin, which can also help high homocysteine.
robinson468
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinson468 »

I found this product which I just started using. It's lower in methyl folate (400mcg) than recommended by Dr Bredesen but I liked the ease of one pill. I can't vouch for the company at all. I'll retest my homocysteine in a few months and go from there.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Richard McG wrote:So no pill recommendations lol :)

Looking for something easy to take.........

All the best friends.

Rick
Sorry, my bad!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:
Ah, no. I see it now. I'm glad that the folic acid (bleh!) fortification has come to light. I just bought a new bottle of Bragg and am tempted to toss it. I'm also just about to re-test homocysteine. I don't have any major MTHFR genes and have been playing around with my supplementation schedule; only taking B12, folate and P5P a few days a week, but ensuring adequate choline and riboflavin as well. My last level was under 8. Fingers crossed for this one. Please share your results when you get them. And, apologies to filiz for the nutritional yeast hijack. ;)
I got interesting results I think. It came back at 6, the lowest I have recorded. The last one was 6.9, so these could just reflect normal day-to-day variations. In the past it's been as high as 9.5.

What's interesting to me about this is the history:

7/21/15

9.5 not supplementing B12, folate or B6 and most likely eating low animal protein, mostly fish and seafood.

1/31/17

8.3 not supplementing B12, folate or B6 and most likely eating low animal protein, mostly fish and seafood.

9/28/17

6.9 supplementing with methyl B12, folate and B6

9/20/19

6.0 not supplementing B12, folate or B6, but supplementing betaine (125 mg every other day, a pretty tiny amount), liposomal phosphyatidylcholine via one serving BodyBio PC per day that includes 1300 mg 'phospholipid complex', and an animal protein rich diet (including three eggs a day) plus maybe 1/2 tbs Bragg’s fortified nutritional yeast most days (not really that much of B12 or folic acid, but could contribute fairly significant B6 and riboflavin). Of course I eat lots of dark green leaves.

I ramped up choline due to being homozygous mutant on three pertinent SNPs. I have more testing to do on my higher animal protein intake (TMAO is soon), but on this score I like what I'm seeing without taking any B vitamin or folate pills.

Sadly, my hsCRP continues to be high at 4.4 and the possible causes vast in number! :evil:
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

circular wrote:I ramped up choline due to being homozygous mutant on three pertinent SNPs.
Good job teasing out the details! Homocysteine has so many moving parts and it's great you found the biggest lever for you.