Addendum to Two month N=1 experiment: 250 mg NMN + 50 mg pterostilbene

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
DanH44
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Addendum to Two month N=1 experiment: 250 mg NMN + 50 mg pterostilbene

Post by DanH44 »

This is an addendum to my last post (Sep 08, 2019) in order to correct an omission. I neglected to report that 5 days before my NMN+PT experiment, I began creatine loading and the evening before my experiment start, I began supplementing with GNC's Triple Potency Soy Lecithin 1200mg / day.

So, just a few minutes ago, I became aware that for years Lecithin has been known to lower serum cholesterol. I had no idea this was the case. There are many studies supporting this, here's one for example from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3065734/, summarized in the popular press here (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319260.php)
Lecithin supplements have also shown promise in lowering cholesterol. In a 2008 study, participants took 500 milligrams (mg) of soy lecithin a day. After 2 months, the average total cholesterol was reduced by 42 percent, and LDL cholesterol was reduced by 56.15 percent.
It seems more likely that it was the choline that lowered my cholesterol, rather than the NMN or the PT. I didn't mean to confuse anyone by the omission; I just didn't think it was important.

The reason why I was supplementing with the creatine and lecithin is from this podcast with Chris Masterhjohn: https://peterattiamd.com/chrismasterjohn/ [1:50:00]. Basically Chris says that if you have MTHFR problems (I'm homo for C677T), taking massive B3 (ie NMN) will further stress your methylation inadequacies. Since the choline cycle can prop up a substandard folate cycle and since creatine supplementation will avoid the need to deplete methyl groups for creatine replenishment, he recommends these for people with MTHFR deficiencies, especially if you're gonna experiment with NMN or NR.
Dan
e3/e4
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Addendum to Two month N=1 experiment: 250 mg NMN + 50 mg pterostilbene

Post by Jmac »

DanH44 wrote:The reason why I was supplementing with the creatine and lecithin is from this podcast with Chris Masterhjohn: https://peterattiamd.com/chrismasterjohn/ [1:50:00]. Basically Chris says that if you have MTHFR problems (I'm homo for C677T), taking massive B3 (ie NMN) will further stress your methylation inadequacies. Since the choline cycle can prop up a substandard folate cycle and since creatine supplementation will avoid the need to deplete methyl groups for creatine replenishment, he recommends these for people with MTHFR deficiencies, especially if you're gonna experiment with NMN or NR.
Thanks much for the addendum! I didn't see the original but have been taking NMN, getting ready to switch to NR for a variety of reasons, and didn't know about the MTHFR issue with choline. I just upped my methyl Bs (not related to this, have a pesky gene or two that says I probably have issues with uptake), already added more choline rich foods & supplements to the daily dose of "stuff". I'm going to add some creatine to my regime, and will go listen to the podcast.
DanH44
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by DanH44 »

Jmac wrote:Thanks much for the addendum! I didn't see the original but have been taking NMN, getting ready to switch to NR for a variety of reasons, and didn't know about the MTHFR issue with choline. I just upped my methyl Bs (not related to this, have a pesky gene or two that says I probably have issues with uptake), already added more choline rich foods & supplements to the daily dose of "stuff". I'm going to add some creatine to my regime, and will go listen to the podcast.
YW!

BTW, you might be interested in this: Part 2 of my experiment --which is currently in progress-- is NR+PT. So far, subjectively, with the NR, I'm sleeping better, feeling stronger and recovering from exercise faster as compared with NMN. In terms of numbers, my bench press, which I always push to just before failure, has increased by 10%, whereas with the NMN, it decreased by 5% over the course of 2 months.
Dan
e3/e4
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

DanH44 wrote:In terms of numbers, my bench press, which I always push to just before failure, has increased by 10%, whereas with the NMN, it decreased by 5% over the course of 2 months.
I should have my NR sometime this week. I keep up with my workouts so I will be able to see if I do better with NR. Adding the creatine may skew the results but oh well...the goal is better workouts and more muscle. I'll pop back over here and update if I see any differences.
John34
Contributor
Contributor

Post by John34 »

If I may ask, which NR+PT product and dosing? Is it Basis by Elysium?

Thank you,

John
DanH44
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by DanH44 »

John34 wrote:If I may ask, which NR+PT product and dosing? Is it Basis by Elysium?

Thank you,

John
No. Elysium: $41.50/mo
NR: $32/mo before LE rewards - https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins- ... egenerator
PT: $7.28 / mo - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

dosing is same as Basis
Dan
e3/e4
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Interesting re the lecithin and cholesterol....have you noticed any drops in your cholesterol?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

@danH44 thank you for this very interesting thread. The creatine and lecithin (choline) have not given you insomnia? I have tried them both with choline especially giving me horrible insomnia. I am compound heterzygous for MTHFR so was trying them to assist with methylation support. If I do a .25 dose on the creatine I am generally ok but choline is a sleep killer. I do not know why they give me insomnia and it does not seem to be a common side effect but yet I clearly have it.

I am very curious to try NR or NMN (I guess NR first after reading this) but had a concern about it interacting negatively with exercise based on one of the podcasts with David Sinclair. It sounds like the NR has been helpful for your exercise. I am not sure what negative impacts David Sinclair was alluding to in his talk with Joe Rogan so maybe I am misunderstanding what he said.

Thanks again for sharing, I plan to try the NR and will see how I feel. If it helps me sleep better it is a win.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

DanH44 wrote:BTW, you might be interested in this: Part 2 of my experiment --which is currently in progress-- is NR+PT. So far, subjectively, with the NR, I'm sleeping better, feeling stronger and recovering from exercise faster as compared with NMN. In terms of numbers, my bench press, which I always push to just before failure, has increased by 10%, whereas with the NMN, it decreased by 5% over the course of 2 months.
Over the past week or so I've listened to some current David Sinclair podcasts/youtube vids --- picked up a couple of things that have me convinced to go back to NMN. I'm heading out for a show, can't grab the links right now, but one was with Rhonda Patrick. He does into the differences between NR, NMN a lot better than in the past things I've heard in the current batches. A lot of rehash, but many new tidbits worth hearing.

Not related to why I am switching back --- NR needs to be refrigerated (as does NMN I gather) for stability. He also mentioned cycling every other day at one point --- I want to look into that more, could have been resveratrol he was talking about, so much info, haven't head my first cuppa caffeine today :-)
DanH44
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by DanH44 »

Jmac wrote:Over the past week or so I've listened to some current David Sinclair podcasts/youtube vids --- picked up a couple of things that have me convinced to go back to NMN. I'm heading out for a show, can't grab the links right now, but one was with Rhonda Patrick. He does into the differences between NR, NMN a lot better than in the past things I've heard in the current batches. A lot of rehash, but many new tidbits worth hearing.

Not related to why I am switching back --- NR needs to be refrigerated (as does NMN I gather) for stability. He also mentioned cycling every other day at one point --- I want to look into that more, could have been resveratrol he was talking about, so much info, haven't head my first cuppa caffeine today :-)
Thanks for mention of the Rhonda podcast - it's a good one! Good to know it should be refrigerated!
Dan
e3/e4