Hi. I’m new here.

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Freslanta
New User
New User

Hi. I’m new here.

Post by Freslanta »

Hi all,
I’m new here so I’ll just dive in. I’m age 59, my Mom has Alzheimer’s and her Mom died from it. I’m reading a book called “The End of Alzheimer’s “ by Dale E. Bredesen, MD. to help my Mom and also myself. Regarding the list of recommended blood tests starting on page 167. I had my physician put together a bloodwork order I can take to LabCorp. I tried to get an estimate of my out of pocket expense for the bloodwork from my insurance, BCBS, but they won’t give me an estimate. They won’t even brave a ballpark figure. Are any of you out there familiar with this book and the recommended blood tests? Do any of you have any idea what it might cost to get the bloodwork done?
Thanks for any input.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Hi. I’m new here.

Post by Tincup »

Freslanta wrote:Hi all,
. Are any of you out there familiar with this book and the recommended blood tests? Do any of you have any idea what it might cost to get the bloodwork done?
There are direct to consumer lab testing options. You order the test through the company & they give you an order to take to either Labcorp or Quest (different companies deal with one, the other or both). A list is here. Note that New Century Labs was noted by some as the cheapest option.

They will give you prices before you order.
Tincup
E3,E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Freslanta wrote:Hi all,
I’m new here so I’ll just dive in. I’m age 59, my Mom has Alzheimer’s and her Mom died from it...I had my physician put together a bloodwork order I can take to LabCorp... Do any of you have any idea what it might cost to get the bloodwork done?
Thanks for any input.
Welcome to this forum, Freslanta! We love people who "just dive in", especially since many of us have been where you are as a daughter of someone with Alzheimer's. We know the reality of "just give me the $%*! answer; I don't have time for anything else!"

Tincup is one of our Moderators; his link to our Wiki section on Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options is one that should give you lots of possible choices.

Like you, I've BCBS and found that my primary care doctor could order a number of useful labs (chemistry panels, basic lipid panels, electrolytes, Vitamin D and B-12, thyroid, glucose , as well as an EKG (always a good thing to take care of your heart as well as your brain.) I suggest you call and ask which could be ordered as part of an annual physical, which is probably something your doctor or his billing clerk knows without looking it up.

Once I had those, I looked at what areas I was concerned about and ordered a few, but not many, additional tests online after I considered the cost. (Often single tests are much less than combinations that you won't need. And you can wait for sales, which happen several times a year.) I then took the emailed lab slip to the local Lab Corp near me and got emailed test results with a reference range back usually within a few days. In my case those included an NMR panel to see LDL-particles (LDL-P) based on a moderately high LDL-C. I took those results back to my doctor, who took almost an hour to talk through options for addressing the results. You can also get some test kits like Hemoglobin A1c at Walgreens or CVS and do the test at home.

Before you do this, you may want to add the Primer to your reading list. It's been developed over several years by a doctor who is also ApoE 4/4 and has been involved with this forum since its beginning. It is designed specifically for people who have one or two copies of ApoE 4 and comes with suggestions about lots of strategies that don't involve spending lots on blood tests.

I also recommend browsing a little on the "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website It will save you time in quoting members so they see your questions, subscribing to topics you like, to be notified of new posts, searching for answers to questions that others may have also had and other tips some of us learned the hard way!

I hope that you know you always have support here to share both the highs and lows of being the daughter of a mother with Alzheimer's. Both your mother and grandmother may have had now-recognized risk factors such as high blood pressure, diabetes, unrecognized cardiac disease and other sources of stress that led to that diagnosis. We believe on this forum that our own willingness to learn about this risk, and to take steps to maintain and improve our health, will pay off for decades and be felt in the near-term in better health, mood and a sense of resilience. So please be kind to yourself on this journey, ask questions and share your thoughts whenever and however you choose!
4/4 and still an optimist!
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

I am also relatively new to this site, will be also 59 next month. First off, do you know your APOE status? I learned mine through 23 and me. Your family history certainly is concerning but I think it is important to know your risk factors.

I am taking a little slower more directed approach. I also read Bredesen's book and as NF52 mentioned, Stavia's very common sense primer. I don't have a good way to get all the blood tests done so I am trying to bite this off in chunks and work on my most obvious risk factors. I had quite a few indicators in my blood work that I had insulin resistance and since this is a big hitter on the list of things to correct, it is tops on my list. With modifications to my diet, I now have all those numbers in good shape on my bloodwork after 9 months of changes. Still need a little more work but I am pleased with the results so far,

Now I am ready to step into understanding some of my other factors via bloodwork. My regular doctor ran my Vit D (I supplemented, I was in range but low to everything I read on here so have increased my supplement), detailed thyroid (I take thyroid medication) and basic lipid work. As NF52 also mentioned, I am going to look at finding a sale and paying for some of my own bloodwork on other factors. Specifically I want an NMR panel and a B vitamin panel as my genetic profile indicates I might not process B vitamins in a normal manner. Those are next up on my list that I have created from Bredesen and the primer on here. Understanding inflammation and how to test for it is also on my list of things to look into next.

So I really don't have any answers to your questions or great advice but that is how I have decided to tackle this in my life! Great group on here so keep asking questions and people will answer.
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos