Gundry internet ads

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Gundry internet ads

Post by Jan18 »

thjj wrote:BTW it looks like you went with the fasting—good job! Hope it's going well for you.
Hi thjj,
Well, previously I was doing 15-18 hours, but now I am going to start fasting longer. Maybe I will start with a day a week and see how that goes?

Or should I be doing 2 days in a row -- or what?

Barbara
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

Jan18 wrote:
Hi thjj,
Well, previously I was doing 15-18 hours, but now I am going to start fasting longer. Maybe I will start with a day a week and see how that goes?

Or should I be doing 2 days in a row -- or what?

Barbara
Hi Barbara,
You're definitely more of an expert on fasting than I, who frankly don't have the will power to go that long. I currently only do the "12/4" Ketoflex diet. I'll leave it up to the Fung-ians and autophagy enthusiasts out there.
BTW how's your weight loss going? Sounds fun that you get to listen to podcasts in hotels―keep it up :!:
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Hi All,
I just found this out about my functional medicine doctor from her assistant and wondered if any of you can comment on any of these organizations (I know what the NIH is!)

"She has been asked to talk and teach with IFM! She also spoke at the United States Southern Command's Pain Care Skills conference and the NIH. She just recently came back from the Environmental Toxins and Genomic Conference and the Clinical Applications of Scientific Innovations conference."

Thanks,
Barbara
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

TheBrain wrote:

I’ve never felt the increased energy and improved cognition from being on a ketogenic diet that others report, but this diet has healed my hypoglycemia/insulin resistance. My FM practitioner has recommended I consume 3,500 mg acetyl-L-carnitine per day, mostly through supplementation. This is supposed to help bring fatty acids into the cells. She has even recommended I eat read meat daily to get carnitine from that source!
so have you tried the carnitine and/or eating red meat daily? I think my craving for red meat has gone down. I used to get it once in a while (I think bc of the iron) but since being in ketosis, I don't really feel the need for it anymore oddly.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

thjj wrote:
TheBrain wrote:
I’ve never felt the increased energy and improved cognition from being on a ketogenic diet that others report, but this diet has healed my hypoglycemia/insulin resistance. My FM practitioner has recommended I consume 3,500 mg acetyl-L-carnitine per day, mostly through supplementation. This is supposed to help bring fatty acids into the cells. She has even recommended I eat read meat daily to get carnitine from that source!
so have you tried the carnitine and/or eating red meat daily? I think my craving for red meat has gone down. I used to get it once in a while (I think bc of the iron) but since being in ketosis, I don't really feel the need for it anymore oddly.
I’m not eating red meat daily. Frankly, it doesn’t contain that much carnitine compared to the dose my FM practitioner recommended. But I’m supplementing accordingly. Still, I can’t say I’m noticing any improvement. I’m waiting for the results of my latest organic acids test. I’m curious to see where I stand now with respect to fatty acid metabolism.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
pguyer807
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pguyer807 »

Hi Jan18,

I am totally hearing your frustration. I have come to the conclusion that the stress of all of the dietary restrictions in and of
themselves has caused me a boatload of stress. I feel that our health is more than the perfect numbers and perfect diet.
I myself feel the same way about Gundry. Why is he pushing his supplements and olive oil? I respect his credentials and he
certainly has many accomplishments so what's up with the snake oil? Sorry but that is how it feels.
Based on my own 23and me profile I realize there isn't a one size fits all diet. Keto diets have made me feel more brain fogged
and ill than other attempts at diets.
The extremes of diet recommendations are extremely frustrating and we are all different in how we respond.
I have tried to find a middle ground because otherwise food feels like the enemy!
We are more than numbers and results on a blood test. I just finished reading "The Last Best Cure". Not about diet.
So I share your frustration and sorry I am not offering a diet solution but the stress of trying to find that perfect diet and
lifestyle can take the joy out of living.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Hi All,
I finally returned from traveling and met with my doctor, for whom I have mixed feelings...but that's a topic for another day.

We've already gone over some of my improved markers in an earlier post, but here are some of the ones still needing improvement:

LDL-P went from 2589 to 2030 (but needs to be under 1100, so it's still 2x what it should be.)

VLDL-P is 343 (2x what it should be) since optimal is under 150.

ApoB is 137 (high) and ApoA-1 is 146 (optimal) and the ratio is .94 and it should be less than .60.

My sdLDL-C got worse! It went from 35 (mildly elevated) to 57! (Didn't I read somewhere that it can go up as you lose weight and not to be freaked out or am I mistaken?)

My Lp-PLA2 Activity went from 325 (high) to 175 (optimal.) I don't get how this measure of vascular inflammation is great, if my oxidized LDL is still so high. Can anyone speak to this?

And here's one she is freaked about: Uric Acid is 7.1 (high) and could mean a gout attack in the future. She wants me to take two supplements to lower this, one containing a substance in cherries and the other containing a substance in pineapple. At first she said to eat pineapple and I had to remind her that pineapple is high glycemic. Then she suggested the supplement. I just don't know how specialized she is in Bredesen/Gundry if she keeps forgetting key points of their dietary recommendations (oh, and she thinks Gundry is an idiot! WT?! I didn't ask why and I should have....see, I have very mixed feelings about her.) I read that obesity itself can raise uric acid, but she said follow a low purine diet. I've read very conflicting info on what foods to AVOID on a low purine diet and sometimes sources say the very thing we are told to eat: avocado, nuts, cruciferous veggies, asparagus, mushrooms, salmon. Does anyone know for sure what foods to avoid on a low purine diet? Mayo Clinic's site says it's not true that veggies like asparagus affect uric acid levels. And in Jason Fong's book about fasting, which I did get, he says uric acid can go up with fasting. I've been intermittent fasting just recently 20 hours and would like to do 24-36 hour fasts, but now since she told me my uric acid is already high, I'm worried I'm making it higher!!!

I am anemic -- microcytic anemia. She has given me iron supplements and said to increase my magnesium to combat the constipative effects of iron. Praying I don't have to deal with that! But here are my results and they are so close, I'm wondering if I should've been put on iron right away or retested later. Iron 47 (optimal.) Ferritin (20 optimal.) TIBC 504 (high.) Transferrin 343 (optimal.) Blood count is all optimal except MCV is 79.7 (low is equal to or less than 80.6.) MCH is 27 (low is equal to or less than 28.5.) Can anyone speak to this?

Free fatty acids went from .86 (high) to .53 (optimal.)

My T4 Total and Free, T3 Total and Free and Reverse T3 are all optimal, but my TSH is mildly elevated. She didn't even speak about that. Anyone?

I am kind of confused by all of the results and how fast she goes through them and always think of lots of questions AFTER our appointment. She'll take an email or two of questions, but then suggests I come in again to talk and at insurance-UNcovered $360 an hour, that can get really expensive fast. <sigh>

Every time we do blood tests, they seem to include different tests and I'm not sure why. I wish she would just focus on Bredesen's cognoscopy (is that the word?) and I'm wondering about getting a different doctor. What do you all think?

Any help on these results from the learned community here would be appreciated!

Barbara
P.S. Have lost 5 more pounds since mid-September. Yay.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Jan18 wrote: I am anemic -- microcytic anemia. She has given me iron supplements and said to increase my magnesium to combat the constipative effects of iron. Praying I don't have to deal with that! But here are my results and they are so close, I'm wondering if I should've been put on iron right away or retested later. Iron 47 (optimal.) Ferritin (20 optimal.) TIBC 504 (high.) Transferrin 343 (optimal.) Blood count is all optimal except MCV is 79.7 (low is equal to or less than 80.6.) MCH is 27 (low is equal to or less than 28.5.) Can anyone speak to this?
How are you anemic if your RBC, hemoglobin, and hematocrit are normal?
There are a lot of conversations on our website about iron and ferritin - search on "ferritin".
When you say that a lab result is optimal, do you mean the lab's normal range or your provider's opinion?
Slacker
E4/E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

slacker wrote: How are you anemic if your RBC, hemoglobin, and hematocrit are normal?
There are a lot of conversations on our website about iron and ferritin - search on "ferritin".
When you say that a lab result is optimal, do you mean the lab's normal range or your provider's opinion?
I don't know! My regular yearly internist results have showed smaller than average red blood cells, as did my functional medicine doctor's results, but my internist never said anything about that. Does anyone else think prescribing the iron was premature?

I remember the conversations on iron and ferritin and something about not showing the full measure of iron within the cells or something. I'll go re-read. Thanks, Slacker!

I'm just quoting the terms used in the lab results when I say "optimal." The categories are "optimal", "mildly low", and "low" if memory serves -- ha! And sometimes it doesn't!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

thjj wrote:Hi Barbara,
You're definitely more of an expert on fasting than I, who frankly don't have the will power to go that long. I currently only do the "12/4" Ketoflex diet. I'll leave it up to the Fung-ians and autophagy enthusiasts out there.
BTW how's your weight loss going? Sounds fun that you get to listen to podcasts in hotels―keep it up :!:
Hi thjj,
I've lost about 5 more pounds since our discussion here, so I am encouraged. But I've heard so many people say "the weight just fell off" when they started mild keto, that I was hoping it would be more quickly at the beginning. I guess my high insulin and high leptin markers are interfering.

I'd like to do 24 or 36 hour fasts to lower insulin more quickly. I am having no trouble with 20 hours, so I think 24 would be doable. But after my labs showed very high uric acid results and my doctor scared me with the gout attack possibility AND the fact that Jason Fong's book on fasting says fasting can drive up uric acid levels, now I don't know what to do.

Barbara