Intermittent Fasting

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Tincup »

Pat95 wrote: Does anyone experience their bilirubin slightly increasing when fasting? All other labs and liver enzymes in normal ranges.
In this podcast Ivor Cummins interviews Aussie MD, Paul Mason. I had the pleasure of spending a few days in a ski condo last March with Paul. He is a very very bright fellow. We had excellent discussions. Go to 00:12:33 in the transcript to see the discussion of bilirubin.
Tincup
E3,E4
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankiesfriend »

I have been doing 16:8 IF for several years, but I have been thinking for a long time that I should embark on longer fasts, as is recommended by many in this forum who have benefited as well as many in the functional medicine health podcast arena. My overall goal would be as a tune up of general health (somewhat) and the brain in particular. My concerns have to do with the effect of fasting on sleep, which is an ongoing struggle for me, and the general stress of being hungry, since both inadequate sleep and stress can so negatively impact brain health. Do any of you who have tried fasting or who regularly fast struggle with these, and if so, do you believe that the health benefits of fasting outweigh those of sleep/stress issues?

Secondly, my fasting blood glucose and fasting insulin are both nice and low, by my homocysteine is 9.8, which is high according to the Bredesen protocol. This would definitely be a biomarker I would like to improve on, and I am wondering if longer fasting would affect it. Thank you for any insights!
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

I have done 3 fasts of 2-3 weeks duration. I do not remember sleep being an issue. For me it was easy and and stress free. Not the same for everyone though.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

I have no experience with long fasts -- I try to do about 16-18 hours, but if I am really hungry or if something interferes I just eat. So this is second hand information. I am just now reading the book, "Why we Sleep" by Mathew Walker and evidently when we are fasting our bodies think that we are starving and that it is more important for us to search for food than to sleep. With what I am reading about sleep, I don't think it would be a good idea to fast to the point that your are loosing sleep. It seems it is critical to our brains.
Maureen
BeKindToYourMind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BeKindToYourMind »

frankiesfriend wrote:My concerns have to do with the effect of fasting on sleep, which is an ongoing struggle for me, and the general stress of being hungry, since both inadequate sleep and stress can so negatively impact brain health. Do any of you who have tried fasting or who regularly fast struggle with these, and if so, do you believe that the health benefits of fasting outweigh those of sleep/stress issues?
I am constantly trying to improve my sleep as well. I have done a couple 36-48 hour fasts. I noticed a disruption to my sleep the second night. I just didn't feel tired. I bounced back pretty quickly after ending the fast, though. I think it is worth it to do one longer fast (24-48 hours) a month at the expense of a bit of sleep. I feel like I get an adequate amount of sleep most of the time, so one night is okay.

I think it really depends on how much & the quality of sleep that you usually get. I usually prioritize quality sleep over other strategies.

Exercise improves sleep and also induces autophagy, so it may be an alternative to fasting that might improve your sleep.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

frankiesfriend wrote:...my homocysteine is 9.8, which is high according to the Bredesen protocol. This would definitely be a biomarker I would like to improve on, and I am wondering if longer fasting would affect it.
A qualified maybe. If you eat less animal protein overall because of your fast, then it might come down some because you wouldn't be taking in as much methionine. But, if you went back to the usual diet after fasting and ended up eating more methionine again, then you probably wouldn't see a change over the long haul.

In recycling homocysteine (which lowers the number), the B vitamins, choline and TMG are your best bets. Check out the wiki on methylation for more.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Can you explain why my homocysteine went from 14.4 to 8.2 in a little over a year. I did one extended fast during that period, then resumed my normal high animal protein, low carb diet for most of that period. I've been doing resistance training and have put on muscle. Edit - Apparently low thyroid levels can cause high homocysteine, and I raised my thyroid meds during this period...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

I recently purchased" info red light therapy " light and have been using it for 15 minutes every night before sleeping. I practice 8-16 intermittent fasting (going 2 years in Feb) with 1-2 days per week 24 hour fast. I never had noticed trouble sleeping and usually sleep 5-7 hours. This past year it seemed I hit the 5 hr mark more than the 7 hour mark. Sometimes using Wim Hoff breathing when I would wake after 5 hours facilitated me sleeping 1-2 hours longer. I am using the redlight therapy just on my face and head with 660 and 880 lights activated for mitochondrial activation , but noticed overtime that if I used it just before bed and then read(hardback book-low light), I have been sleeping 8 hrs. In addition dark spots on my face have tended to lighten, and if I use it one joints or muscles the seem sore or fatigued that is gone when I awaken. Full disclosure: I am also increasing daily exercise, returning to sprints and weight lifting 2-3 times per week, in addition to hiking , biking (just purchased a fat tire bike for open spaces) and swimming. Research state strong on exercise advantage.
Hope this can be helpful....all our paths look different.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Oh yes Mike I am still trying to reduce homocysteine and oxLdl. On we go!
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

PBW wrote:I recently purchased" info red light therapy " light and have been using it for 15 minutes every night before sleeping.
Hi PBW - which brand did you settle on?
Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA