Ready to Quit

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Ready to Quit

Post by Jan18 »

I'm sorry to be a downer, friends, but I just don't know that I can live like this anymore. I'm throwing my frustration out here as a last resort that any of you might be able to get me back on track. I'm in a period where I just can't seem to do it myself.

I don't know how you eat by having no dairy (cheese, sour cream, butter, cream, yogurt, etc.), no grains (and I cannot find any recipes for non-grain bread that don't have cheese or saturated fat in them), extremely low saturated fat, no sugar (including honey, etc. and heck, that's the easy one for me), no legumes, and whatever else we cannot have.

All I ever have is eggs, allowed vegetables and fruits, nuts and almond butter, olives and olive oil. A bit of chicken here and there. And salmon (though lately Gundry even warned us Apoe.4's off of salmon because of the high fat content.) My doctor said to stop the 2 T. of half and half I have in coffee every day and use hemp milk, but I noticed on the carton that it is high in Omega 6's. She also keeps telling me NO DAIRY WHATSOEVER.

I hate to be a whiney baby (as I've whined before) but I just cannot fathom what you are all eating.

My oxidized cholesterol is still high risk, though it has been improving, but if I have to forgo all of that for the rest of my life, I just don't know that I can do it. I don't want to go on a statin if I can help it, so I am trying so hard to lower the oxidized cholesterol by diet. I've given up so much of my social life by not joining others at restaurants, which are notorious for using hidden fat, sugar, transfats, etc. Occasionally, I'll join them and bring my own olive oil and lemon (I don't even trust the olive oil in restaurants) and just order a salad.

I've tried so hard -- my friends keep commenting on my dedication to this -- but I'm about at the end of my rope. I honestly don't know how to get any variety in my food, good taste, etc. without making this a 24/7 JOB....and even the 24/7 times I've focused on trying to find recipes have proven pretty fruitless. Everything has saturated fat of some kind, it seems. Even Cummins and Gerber's recipes are loaded with cheese and saturated fats, after they warn us Apoe4's about them.

I hate being an Apoe.4! (Pity party here....) :cry:

I feel like I'm the biggest baby here and no one else gets frustrated or complains, just me. If I'm being completely inappropriate, please forgive me. Just don't have anyone IRL to turn to with this as they all eat whatever they want.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Ready to Quit

Post by Julie G »

(((Jan18))), I don't know all of the reasons behind your very strict dietary limitations, but I'm a 4/4 and much more relaxed about my options which make this diet feel "do-able" for the long haul. While I try to limit saturated fat, I'm certainly not zealous about it. I feel comfortable eating small amounts of A2 cheese, yogurt or kefir (primarily goat or sheep). I also enjoy any low mercury wild-caught seafood and occasional 100% pastured poultry, lamb, beef, or bison. I have no qualms about using small amounts of legumes (properly prepared) on my salads and in my soups. (They're an excellent source of resistant starch.) I don't really miss grains, but I have some sorghum, millet, and buckwheat in my pantry to play with for when I feel ambitious. The recipes I've used for occasional grain free muffins or pancakes have been very satisfying. There's a wonderful Plant Paradox Facebook group run by a woman (Darlene Lindholm) who has excellent grain-free versions of everything, FWIW, Dr. Bredesen supports all of these dietary options along with tons of vegetables from every color of the rainbow, primarily non-starchy, organic, local and seasonal when possible and lots of healthy fats prioritizing high polyphenol EVOO... which I happen to love. Maybe, just maybe, you don't need to be so strict as long as you include a long daily fast with exercise? Cyberhugs headed your way as you search for a diet that feels workable. -xo
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Jan18 wrote:I feel like I'm the biggest baby here and no one else gets frustrated or complains, just me.
We have all been in your shoes at one time or another when making the move from our old diets to something more healthy for our brains and hearts. I'd guess pretty much everyone here has had a moment when they opened the fridge and thought, just what the heck can I eat.

Julie's question is a valid one, and perhaps there are some foods you could rotate in your menus like legumes (except for dairy, which your doctor clearly thinks is not okay for you.)
I don't know how you eat..

I did much better making the switch when I found some food bloggers whose recipes taste great, and that's where I started. Here are two of my favs.

https://againstallgrain.com/recipe-index/
https://elanaspantry.com/recipes/

Both have cookbooks, both have autoimmune diseases, and the first blogger (againstallgrain) has meal plans in her books. It's easy enough to see if a recipe won't work, and substitute oils where needed (except for baking, which is a whole 'nother challenge).

Maybe just give yourself permission to take a break, and just pull out one food group at a time. Like lose the dairy, and cut back grains while exploring some new recipes to fill in the dairy gap.

Hang in there!
Emerald
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emerald »

My post may or may not apply to everyone in this thread, but below is my take for my own situation. Since we all come from different walks of life and are of different ages, health statuses, etc., perhaps this will help someone else:

Personally, I am going to focus on my measurements and determine what's going to keep me balanced - physically, emotionally, and mentally. I'm not following every rule in the book, which makes sense given that one cohesive book with all 100% proven science on APOE4 doesn't even exist. It's very likely that Alzheimer's is a combination of factors, so why torture myself when I may or may not get it regardless of having a completely perfect diet (which again, isn't even agreed on right now)?

I eat pretty healthily, so I'm not giving up EVERYTHING. That includes half and half, cheese, wine, etc. Honestly, as an APOE 3/4 person, the chances of me getting Alzheimer's are smaller than the chances of me not getting it. Nothing is completely proven at this point, and I'm 29 years old. I've had to learn how to relax. I'm watching my measurements over time and tailoring my diet to that. I sincerely doubt two tablespoons of half and half a day is going to give me Alzheimer's. To me, living a miserable life is worse than getting Alzheimer's one day, and I mean it.

I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to permanently log off, come back only when big and proven news hits the scene, and just live my life. I'm ready to quit, too, but in a different way.

For someone who is dealing with more out-of-range measurements, I would just keep in mind that there's always a way. A way to find enjoyment in food and life at the same time.
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

Jan18 wrote:I'm sorry to be a downer, friends, but I just don't know that I can live like this anymore. I'm throwing my frustration out here as a last resort that any of you might be able to get me back on track. I'm in a period where I just can't seem to do it myself.

I feel like I'm the biggest baby here and no one else gets frustrated or complains, just me. If I'm being completely inappropriate, please forgive me. Just don't have anyone IRL to turn to with this as they all eat whatever they want.
Greetings Jan18 ~

First, you should be super proud of yourself for putting your feelings out there. You are not alone. . .THIS IS HARD. Making changes to our diets and lifestyle is simply stepping into a whole new world. And many around us just do not understand (and sadly, some do not care to). But you've kept on, so for that, give yourself a big ol' pat on the back for persisting in the face of adversity.

Second, I agree with the others to relax a bit and work on giving up feeling like you should be doing it ALL perfectly ~ especially all at once or all the time. This is a lifelong commitment, so you've got plenty of time to find what's "right" for you. I'd also suggest adding some serious self-care...(bath/dancing/stroll in nature/car ride with fav tunes singing at the top of your lungs, etc.) and please be sure to include times that you do not think about all of this heavy stuff whatsoever.

Lastly, (full disclosure) I am a Certified FM Health Coach and it sounds to me like you might benefit from having a coach on your side. Many of us offer discounts and would be happy to coach you through some of these more difficult times. Take a look at the Wiki link: https://www.apoe4.info/wiki/ApoE4-Aware ... th_Coaches to see if any might be of interest to you.

Please know that most struggle with these thoughts throughout this journey ~ so if you mess up...just remember, tomorrow is a brand new day! :)
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Beans and whole grains (emphasis on whole) are extremely healthy. I would not leave them out.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Jan,

A lot of good advise here, and as I have said before this is not a race. You need to be comfortable with your life, I myself do not follow the diet as strictly as I did initially, as I was losing too much weight. I've added in more resistance starches, I eat more proteins (fish, chicken, pork, bison, grass fed beef, etc.), and occasionally eat some grains (like in season sweetcorn!). I continue to intermittent fast.

When I go out I just try and eat healthy foods... fish or chicken or pork with a veggie, sweet potato if they have it. I bring my own oil & balsamic in case I want a salad. Just try and eat healthy organic foods where possible, takes things out when you feel good about removing them.

We all have to find a happy place that meets our needs. As other's have said, it's probably a good time to step back, re-assess your goals, and have a chat with your practitioner about how to approach this so it's more manageable for you. The stress alone is working against you, and your practitioner should be aware of this.

Hugs
RU
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
rrmolo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrmolo »

These are some thoughts from a 79 year old. Relax. Meditate. Intermittent fast. Find what makes you happy. I still enjoy raquetball, pickle ball, hiking. Think about how you can help others. Eat simply and enjoy every bite. It all boils down to enjoying this minute of this day. That is all we have. Thanks for sharing your frustration...we all feel it at times...especially when we digress!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Jan18 wrote:I'm sorry to be a downer, friends, but I just don't know that I can live like this anymore. I'm throwing my frustration out here as a last resort that any of you might be able to get me back on track. I'm in a period where I just can't seem to do it myself.
Barbara, everyone is individual, and while popular with many on this site, the Gundry Diet is not for everyone. For hundreds of thousands of years, ever since man's head grew and his intestine shrunk, Meat has played a more prominent role in our diet and veggies less. Then man started eating carbs on a regular basis, and we evolved to deal with that. We then started farming and started having grains and dairy, and we have evolved to deal with that. But no one is the same. Some deal better with carbs than others. Some deal better with grain than others, likewise for dairy. You need to find what works best for YOU. If you do not have problems with dairy, then try adding it back into your diet, remembering that milk contains sugar, so you want to have milk that has been fermented (kefir, yogurt, cheese), or heavy cream. Look for whole fat products, or you're likely to get added carbs. European dairy has better regulatory in place than the US. Are you a 3/4? If so, then you have more leeway on carbs, but still best to keep low, and avoid all added sugar and corn syrup. You have a lot or issues with exercise, but that is key along with ketosis for maintaining your blood brain barrier, which plays a key role in preventing AD. You had mentioned recumbent bike working for you in another post - is that something you can do more of?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

If you don't mind cooking, then you are in luck. Try these cookbooks: "Artisan Vegan Cheese" and "the Homemade Vegan Pantry" by Miyoko Schinner. You will find recipes for butter , sour cream, and cheeses. They taste good, very good. Sure they may not taste as good as your favorite dairy cheese, but they are truly very good. THey are not hard to make. THe author spent a year learning how to make cheese from nuts and non-dairy yogurt. SHe sells her cheeses in specialty stores, but the packages are small and they are expensive. SO much cheaper to make them. THe book that will teach you how to make muffins, crepes, pancakes and waffels: "The chickpea Flour Cookbook" by Camilla Saulsbury. SHe has her own blog and will send you a new recipe almost every day. I have to admit that I have not found a real good bread recipe yet, but I have a couple that I found OK. Good luck to you.

Maureen