Gundry internet ads

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Gundry internet ads

Post by Jan18 »

SoCalGuy wrote: One thing to keep in mind is that a fast is an extremely high-fat diet. It's one of the reasons I decided to cut back and only do a single 5-day fast every six months. I just don't seem to do well on the high-fat diets. That one fast is sufficient to keep my insulin sensitivity dialed in at a safe, sustainable level.

I eat mostly low-fat sources of protein and keep my fat and carbs under control given both can cause issues when eaten to extreme. I understand that not everyone believes that high cholesterol is a problem, in my experience I simply do better when I limit my fat intake.

Can you share what a typical day looks like when it comes to your diet? Why is it that you cannot eat fruit?
I was rereading the thread and it looks like I neglected to answer you, So Cal Guy? At least as far as I reread.

Yes, I can share a "typical" day:

Used to fast 16 hours, now more like 18-20. First meal is two scrambled eggs on low heat with no butter, just a quick olive oil spray on the pan with onions, spinach, mushrooms, half an avocado, and sides of more veggies, usually roasted (yes, I know high heat produces those yukky things, but I'm still in the process changing my ways...) the likes of broccoli or cauliflower or asparagus. Sometimes I add in tomatoes and they don't seem to affect me....but I think any digestive issues I'd had are gone...probably because I ate so strictly for a month or more? Sometimes I do a mashed avocado in a bowl and poach just one egg and chop it up in the bowl with a T. of olive oil, salt and pepper. I will have 2 T. of half and half in one cup of coffee, too. I tried hemp milk and it sucked. And I don't want anything sweet in my coffee, so a lot of the other nondairy creamers don't work.

Second meal is either a big greens salad with grilled chicken, sliced red onion, walnuts and I just started adding a T. of ground flaxseed. I used to make my own dressings, but now I found I love simple olive oil and a half a lemon squeezed over the salad. I try to add other veggies like radishes or jicama for crunch, and green olives. Or I'll have the alotted amount of salmon and once in a blue moon, grass-fed ground beef in the salad instead of chicken. Or I'll have cooked salmon or chicken with veggies and occasionally 3 oz plain sweet potato and maybe a little green side salad so I can put the olive oil on to hit my "good" fats percentage.

I only eat berries, because I thought that was what Gundry or Bredesen recommended? I'll have to go reread if that's not the case....
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Take in the info. Maybe speak to yourMD about it. Take your time to make changes. Of course just reducing cruciferous veggies is not a big move like eliminating all grains. Full disclosure Dr Gundry didn’t tell why reducing cruciferous veggies would help lower TSH. He also didn’t explainTMAO, such as what effect it has on cardiovascular system and does it stay steady or vary with energy output, nutrition, etc.
You are getting some really great info from lots of folks on this thread.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Gundry has removed all fruit from my diet. I assume it was because my A1C went up from 5.5 to 5.7 My insulin seems to be fine. I think it may have gone up because I was not staying low enough with carbs while trying to eat only fish and eggs for protein on a daily rotation. Now he has me off egg yokesaswelll. We are all just so different.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Being that Dr Gundry is one of my docs, for the last 6-months every time I recieved info about one of his new products , I emailed his PA to asked if should switch or add this product to my plan(including the olive oil) Almost always the response was "you can if you want". Recently I dropped out of all those emails . I use EVOO and know the dates of all the oils I purchase and have since long before Dr Gundry published ," The Plant Paradox" which I read many times over with Dr Bredesen's "the End of Alzheimer's. I used info from both with my knowledge of my own n=1 studies to decide on my own plan. I continue to research and read because I am motivated to do so. Currently I am reading "Lifespan" by David Sinclair which I find to be very interesting. As mentioned Jason Fong has great knowledge on fasting and its effects on the human body but he admittedly has not worked much with lean people(correct me if I am wrong on this. I listened to an interview several times on Peter Attia The Drive podcast.) Like many I was hoping Gundry had the magic bullet for reducing my oxLDL, homocysteine, instead he has discovered other markers that he believes are a concern (TMAO) and my thyroid markers have changed after dropping meat and eating more fish(still very little 3oz portions 3-4 times weekly). So my experience has left me scratching my head...Hmmm. I will do the n=1 study he suggested to drop citicholine and acetyl l carnitine from supplements 2 weeks before my next bloodwork in late November. My biggest change over this appt with him is deciding I must have a life while I am alive and aware. So I am complying as best I can, but also enjoying my family meals at restaurants and not beating myself up when I don't stay under 30g of sat fat and carbs.
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

Jan18 wrote:
Hi thjj,
I've lost about 5 more pounds since our discussion here, so I am encouraged. But I've heard so many people say "the weight just fell off" when they started mild keto, that I was hoping it would be more quickly at the beginning. I guess my high insulin and high leptin markers are interfering.

I'd like to do 24 or 36 hour fasts to lower insulin more quickly. I am having no trouble with 20 hours, so I think 24 would be doable. But after my labs showed very high uric acid results and my doctor scared me with the gout attack possibility AND the fact that Jason Fong's book on fasting says fasting can drive up uric acid levels, now I don't know what to do.

Barbara
I think you're doing great! IIRC you started your health turnaround later in life? You (& I) are proving it's never too late! Remember, 2 steps forward, 1 step back; 1 step at a time.
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
Nikki2019
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nikki2019 »

Jan18 wrote:Has anyone seen this ad for Gundry's own olive oil from Morocco? https://enrichyourfood.com/190828A.php?n=tba
It has all the earmarks of high pressure salesmanship and I'm so disappointed. Buy it now before it sells out, we make it in limited quantities only, if you get it now, you'll get this great price, etc. So all olive oil in the entire world is bad except for his? What I buy from Cultivated Olive Tree supposedly has a rating higher than the usual organizations I've read to look for and now I'm doubting that. And Pritikin has come out recently emphasizing all fats, even monosaturated ones, are not good and should be greatly limited. (I realize they've always emphasized low fat, but so does Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine which is responsible for finally getting the American government to use the plate instead of the pyramid for nutrition guidance -- and PCRM says that plate still needs tweaking.)

I also realize Pritikin and PCRM focus on healthy weight and healthy hearts, but don't those help with healthy brains, too? Maybe I should be trying their protocols and see what happens to my numbers. After all, from what I remember about Gundry, his main focus was autoimmune disease. In fact, I got so focused on his elimination protocol that I didn't realize he actually promotes foods with lectins once your gut is healthy and you don't have leaky gut. I read that here (maybe it was Stavia who reminded us of that?)

I do 70% good fat/20% lean protein/10% carbs, track everything on cronometer.com, and stay within 1200-1400 calories a day. I exercise most days, cardio alternating with strength-training. I get 7-9 hours of good quality sleep in a completely dark, quiet, cool room. I am eating better than I ever have. I have been able to go off my BP meds.

I work with a functional medicine doctor who took Bredesen's training.

But I'm not losing weight. My oxidized cholesterol is still high risk. My leptin is twice what it should be. My fasting glucose is fine, but my fasting insulin is three times what it should be. Cortisol fine, hormones not what they should be (I'm 69 and they had been absolutely flat and are improving...) I take supplements with B vitamins (I'm one of the 50% of people who don't metabolize B's well) as well as fish oil, CoQ10, Vit. D (those levels are good, as are my HDL levels), a multi-nutraceutical, folate (all recommended by and monitored by my doctor.) Five years ago, a cardiologist wanted to put me on a statin, but we did and EKG, stress test and calcium score test first. No problems with the EKG, stress test and 0% calcium on calcium score. He was surprised and said, "Just diet and exercise!"

I am so frustrated.

I need to lose 45 pounds and it isn't happening. Since obesity contributes to health risks in so many ways, maybe I need to do a protocol to lose the weight first and then check numbers and deal with them.

I apologize for my negative post; I don't mean to bring anyone down. But this ad of Gundry's saying that only his olive oil can be trusted was the last straw. (Maybe I misinterpreted the ad, but that is how it struck me and on top of all I'm doing which isn't working, it made me question everything. And the fact that he now says in that ad that only 1/2 T. a day provides more of the polyphenols and hydroxytyrosol he touts now directly contradicts his "pour olive oil over everything" stance! Does that mean he now contradicts his 70% fat recommendation, too? I'm probably overreacting, but welcome your thoughts.)
Hi!
Don't worry about bringing anyone down. This is educational for us, as knowledge is power. Don't allow this olive oil ad to deter you from continuing on your health journey. I also find it a little demoralizing when someone is trying to profit too much off of our allele and then sends out seemingly contradictory info. confusing us. I am still confused by a youtube video in which he states that " crossfit is NOT good for 4s".
This is partially why I always refer back to the primer. Those basic things seem consistent across the board and are good for everything.
I imagine that counting points such as the weight watchers system is totally doable with IF and most else you are implementing. That certainly would be effective with safely loosing extra lbs. safely and slowly while still eating whole based healthy foods.
The way I see it... even by doing what the primer suggests is A LOT, and puts you at an advantage. Don't give up momentum!
As E4 s, we are inherent fighters and don't give up so easily.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Nikki2019 wrote: Don't give up momentum!
Thanks, Nikki2019!