Fermentation Classes in Seattle in October

Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fermentation Classes in Seattle in October

Post by Berri »

I'm sure we'd all like to meet your mother-in-law. The more the merrier.

Berri
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

I posted this in a separate post (for some reason I wasn't able to find this one until AFTER I hit send). Below is the content:

On Saturday, November 9, our Dear Berri has reserved the community room at her condo building for us to get together, chat and make a couple of easy Thanksgiving Ferments that will help with your holiday digestion. The plan is to meet at 1 pm, put together a Cranberry Relish and Celery "Stuffing" and enjoy each other's company.

We'll make a simple cranberry relish that is a conversion of traditional cooked cranberry sauce to a raw, fermented relish with oranges. The Celery "Stuffing" tastes just like traditional stuffing without the bread so is great for low carb diets. Both ferments add friendly bacteria to your meal that will aid digestion in the most flavorful way!

For the ferments, please plan on bringing: A chef knife, (2) wide-mouth quart jars with lids (or similar), 1 1/2 pounds celery and 8 - 10 fresh sage leaves, 16 ounces fresh cranberries, 2 thin skinned mandarin oranges (like Little Cuties), and 1 cup dried cranberries (juice sweetened if you can find them but don't worry if you can't and just bring regular sugar sweetened). I'll supply the sea salt and a couple of other additions along with bowls and cutting boards.

Please PM Berri to let her know that you are coming and she will give you the address. We may want to plan to bring a snack or drink to share too.

We look forward to seeing this coming weekend.
Carrie
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fermentation Classes in Seattle SAT, NOVEMBER 9 1:00 PM

Post by Berri »

"The plan is to meet at 1 pm, put together a Cranberry Relish and Celery "Stuffing" and enjoy each other's company.

We'll make a simple cranberry relish that is a conversion of traditional cooked cranberry sauce to a raw, fermented relish with oranges. The Celery "Stuffing" tastes just like traditional stuffing without the bread so is great for low carb diets. Both ferments add friendly bacteria to your meal that will aid digestion in the most flavorful way!"

Carrie, Will these yummy-sounding items still be okay for Thanksgiving Day??
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fermentation Classes in Seattle SAT, NOVEMBER 9 1:00 PM

Post by CarrieS »

Berri wrote:"Carrie, Will these yummy-sounding items still be okay for Thanksgiving Day??
Yes, these are shorter ferments (5 - 10 days) so will be ready in time to add to your Thanksgiving table.
APOe4/4
Mbower
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mbower »

Hi, I am considering coming to this delicious sounding class, I have an event at 4 and I am wondering how long the class will be?
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Mbower wrote:Hi, I am considering coming to this delicious sounding class, I have an event at 4 and I am wondering how long the class will be?
Hi Mbower, These are pretty quick ferments. I'd allow an hour and a half but I'm sure we can get yours done quicker if needed. We'd love to have you join us!
Carrie
APOe4/4
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Hi Berri and Carrie,
My MIL and I will come and we need the list of what we should bring.
Debbie
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

Oops, I see there is a list earlier in the thread. We'll bring those items and will contribute a snack and some sparkling water.
Debbie
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fermentation Classes in Seattle in November

Post by Berri »

Hi, everyone,

I wanted to tell you that I was able to find everything needed for the class today at New Seasons, including the quart jars and both kinds of cranberries. The dried ones sweetened with fruit juice are found in the bulk food section.

You should sterilize your jars, right Carrie?

Hope to see you all,

Berrie
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fermentation Classes in Seattle in November

Post by CarrieS »

Berri wrote:You should sterilize your jars, right Carrie?Hope to see you all,Berrie
No need to sterilize. Just wash and rinse.
Carrie
APOe4/4