New here

A primer for newbies and old pros alike.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

New here

Post by Ssa »

Hello I’m new here I’m 60 years old. E2/E4
I have explored some the threads and still trying
to find my way around. I’m looking for a discussion
on the fat soluble vitamins DEKA mainly K2 mk4 and mk7. I’ve been exploring all the research on how the fat soluble vitamins are compromised with E4 and how to overcome these deficits. I’m just not finding any info here on k2. Is there a thread on the fat soluble vitamins?

I’ve had great success with vitamin K2 for lowering my cholesterol and raising my good cholesterol. I’ve also had success with improving my bone density with K2 which is how I found the research on APOE4.

I’m also exploring retinol and how E4 Alzheimer brains are low in retinol. And just how all 4 of the fat soluble vitamins work in concert.

Does anybody else have high cholesterol or triglycerides with E4? They say it’s genetic! It’s just my theory but maybe if your body is struggling to get the needed fat soluble vitamins in their active form but can’t convert because of E4 it will pump out more cholesterol because they are transported by cholesterol.

Sorry to be all over the place, just looking for anyone else researching the fat soluble vitamins
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New here

Post by TheBrain »

Hi Ssa,

Welcome! And thank you for posting about your discovery that fat soluble vitamins are compromised by E4. I was unaware of that, and I’m unaware of any threads on fat soluble vitamins on this forum. Have you checked the search function (the three vertical dots in the upper right corner)? I imagine you have but thought I’d suggest that, just in case.

I have extensive coronary calcium but no associated symptoms. My functional medicine practitioner recently recommended I stop taking my vitamin D supplements (4000 IUs per day this time of year) for six months while I continue my K2 supplement with MK4 and MK7. (She said the one form is most important, but I can’t recall which one off the top of my head.) She said this strategy should scrub my coronary arteries of calcium. Of course, she gave no promises of a complete reversal of coronary calcium, but I’d be happy with any amount of reversal. We’re prioritizing my heart over my bones because I have osteoporosis, but she has a plan to address that next year.

I haven’t had difficulty keeping my cholesterol and triglycerides in check, as long as I limit my saturated fat intake. But I know others here continue to have that challenge. Hopefully, you’ll hear from some of them.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
John34
Contributor
Contributor

Post by John34 »

Ssa wrote:Hello I’m new here I’m 60 years old. ... Does anybody else have high cholesterol or triglycerides with E4? They say it’s genetic! ...I’ve had great success with vitamin K2 for lowering my cholesterol and raising my good cholesterol. /
Welcome to the forum!

I am also 60 yo and E3/4. Just by having 1 of these gene mutations was told that I have 3X more risk of AD and 50% more risk of CVD. Outstanding!

Before I started a Ketogenic Diet I was at LDL-C of 180 and TRG of 300. I managed to lose 30 pounds following low-carb Keto over a year eating eggs, tons of bacon, bullet-proof coffee with MCT oil, avocados, kale, spinach, brocolli, etc. and all kinds of grass-fed meat with saturated fats. Along with the large weight loss I was able to bring down my A1C score from over 6% to 5.4% . However my LDL-C jumped up to 240 and my PMC wanted me to get on Statin drugs which I refused. But I was freaking out ... so I cut-out all the bacon (still eat 2 eggs per day), butter, MCT, and reduced meat to once per week. Skipping dinner every night for IF. I increased consumption of Olive Oil, and mixed nut butter (mainly macademia and walnut butter) ... BTW, EVOO is my only salad dressing ... I use a lot. I also added Omega-3 supplements (1.1 gram DHA and 1.5 grams of EPA per day). My latest Lipid Panel shows a huge drop in TRG from 300 down to 85 (I suspect largely due to my DHA supplementation) but ... my LDL-C barely budged down only to 202! I since found out by reading numerous papers that LDL-C may not be as important as the RATIO of TRG-to-HDL which needs to be UNDER 2! for me its 85/57 = 1.5, what a relief!

Moving forward I have decided to reduce Saturated Fat ... but not completely. I still love eggs for breakfast and full-fat greek yogurt (or kefir) which have some SFs. Also EVOO has some SFs too. I am cutting red meat and chicken to once a month but will continue to eat salmon, sardines, or shell fish (oysters primarily) twice per week. I am going to do another lipid panel test again in 3 months to see what my new numbers are. Goal is to get to get LDL-C down to 150 and get my TRG/HDL ratio closer to 1.

Surprised to learn that K2 has such large effect on cholesterol. Which particular K2 supplement are you taking?

John
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Hi Brain
I like your user name. Yes the mk 4 and mk7 are good for cleaning out your arteries. I took a fairly high dose after fasting all night and only took it with coconut oil in my coffee before my morning power walk. It’s a fat soluble vitamin so it needs fat. I also stopped taking d3 because my levels were up enough. I actually did more harm years before taking high doses d3 without k2. It needs the k2 to not be toxic in unused d3. E 4 can accumulate lots of D if you supplement. By the way most E4 s need vitamin A as well in the form of retinol not beta carotene. E4 usually can’t convert beta carotene into active retinol very well. Alzheimer brains are low in retinol. And all fat solubles work together. I cant find out much on vitamin E except Alzheimer brains have too high level of E but only alpha E. There’s actually a family of 8 E’s so for now I just take a supplement from Jarrow called FamilE couple times a week.

What is your APOE? I’m E2/E4. I had high cholesterol and a bad ratio but is corrected now. I also had severe osteoporosis and it is now a stable osteopenia. By the way your bones need k2 and fairly high doses as well as d and retinol. My sister has E3/E4. She does not have osteoporosis and was lucky to not have inherited that from our mother. There was a study that actually determined that E2/E4 has a high chance of osteoporosis but that E3/E 4 doesn’t have that high a chance. I would post the link to the study but it seems my other link was deleted. Maybe that’s not legal?

I think if you have other genes that they haven’t discovered yet sometimes help correct E4. I also have two snips on mthfr but that’s a whole different topic.

I think maybe with E4 you have to tailor what you need to the e2or e3. And also to your other health problems. E4 is all about transporting the fat soluble vitamins with cholesterol. You need to get HDL up to get them into the brain and to make the enzymes to correct your other problems with all activated fat soluble vitamins D3 all 8E’s, k2 as mk4 and mk7 and A as retinol. If your d3 is up or your taking high dose of d3 it is safe to take a high dose of A i only take 10000 to 20000 right now. In Japan doctors prescribe 15 mg mk4! 3x a day for osteoporosis. I take a high dose but not that high. Who knows I might someday. Mk4 is found in the brain but not mk7. Since I’ve started this regime I’ve had age spots fade and two moles on my back shrink half their size!!

Omg I can’t believe I typed so much. I think I type fast and my brain has too much information. I could go on forever. Sorry
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

John34 wrote:
Ssa wrote:Hello I’m new here I’m 60 years old. ... Does anybody else have high cholesterol or triglycerides with E4? They say it’s genetic! ...I’ve had great success with vitamin K2 for lowering my cholesterol and raising my good cholesterol. /
Welcome to the forum!

I am also 60 yo and E3/4. Just by having 1 of these gene mutations was told that I have 3X more risk of AD and 50% more risk of CVD. Outstanding!

Before I started a Ketogenic Diet I was at LDL-C of 180 and TRG of 300. I managed to lose 30 pounds following low-carb Keto over a year eating eggs, tons of bacon, bullet-proof coffee with MCT oil, avocados, kale, spinach, brocolli, etc. and all kinds of grass-fed meat with saturated fats. Along with the large weight loss I was able to bring down my A1C score from over 6% to 5.4% . However my LDL-C jumped up to 240 and my PMC wanted me to get on Statin drugs which I refused. But I was freaking out ... so I cut-out all the bacon (still eat 2 eggs per day), butter, MCT, and reduced meat to once per week. Skipping dinner every night for IF. I increased consumption of Olive Oil, and mixed nut butter (mainly macademia and walnut butter) ... BTW, EVOO is my only salad dressing ... I use a lot. I also added Omega-3 supplements (1.1 gram DHA and 1.5 grams of EPA per day). My latest Lipid Panel shows a huge drop in TRG from 300 down to 85 (I suspect largely due to my DHA supplementation) but ... my LDL-C barely budged down only to 202! I since found out by reading numerous papers that LDL-C may not be as important as the RATIO of TRG-to-HDL which needs to be UNDER 2! for me its 85/57 = 1.5, what a relief!

Moving forward I have decided to reduce Saturated Fat ... but not completely. I still love eggs for breakfast and full-fat greek yogurt (or kefir) which have some SFs. Also EVOO has some SFs too. I am cutting red meat and chicken to once a month but will continue to eat salmon, sardines, or shell fish (oysters primarily) twice per week. I am going to do another lipid panel test again in 3 months to see what my new numbers are. Goal is to get to get LDL-C down to 150 and get my TRG/HDL ratio closer to 1.

Surprised to learn that K2 has such large effect on cholesterol. Which particular K2 supplement are you taking?

John
Hi john I can’t believe my long really good reply was lost because I wasn’t logged in. Didn’t know. I’ll try again in morning. Still trying to learn how this forum works.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Ssa wrote:... I can’t believe my long really good reply was lost because I wasn’t logged in. Didn’t know. I’ll try again in morning. Still trying to learn how this forum works.
Welcome, Ssa!
Been there, done that with losing a "long really good reply"--more than once!

Here's 3 ways to avoid getting logged off when the software (free, of course) thinks you are inactive if you don't "click" on the site in a roughly 30 minute period:

1) Click on "Preview" below the posting window every 15-20 minutes. That shows you what your post would look like, and also signals the system that you're active. Then just scroll down below the preview to your Post a Reply screen and keep writing. Repeat as often as needed.

2) If you're on a laptop, type "www.apoe4.info" in a second tab after you're logged in on the first window. The second tab will automatically show you as logged in. While you're composing that really good reply, go to the second tab (without closing out the first!) and click on anything. That re-starts the 30 minute clock. Repeat as often as needed.

3) If you're going to have to interrupt your reply and come back later, click on "Save draft", right next to "Preview" and "Submit". Follow the prompts to save the draft. When you return, click on your User Name (in green) in the upper right of the screen, then on User Control Panel, then on Manage Drafts in the left hand column. The topic title of your draft will show up; click on Load Draft (NOT on View/Edit) and viola, your draft will be ready to work on again.

Here's a section of our "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website with screen shots and step-by-step directions: Saving and retrieving a draft of your work.
Thanks for the high level of your great posts!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flo »

Ssa wrote:
Still trying to learn how this forum works.
Dear Ssa,

Welcome to the site and thank you for your conversation starter!

Hopefully the response from NF52 will help with recovering drafts, I know I've definitely learnt something new today!
From the technical knowledge that you have, you're probably already aware of all the info in the primer but I've linked it for you just in case.

Again, welcome!

Flo
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Ssa wrote:I would post the link to the study but it seems my other link was deleted. Maybe that’s not legal?
It is legal. We screen all first posts as we get a huge number of spammy posts - it is a large, daily and ongoing battle. One of our moderators thought your post might be one of these. Obviously not. That's why the link was deleted.

Feel free to post links, including the one deleted.

Welcome!
Tincup
E3,E4
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Ugh!! Lost it again!! I’m in a major crunch with work and got houseful on the way for thanksgiving. Can’t do it again

I’ll be back

John I took Jarrow mk7 90 mcg 3x day. Now I’m taking mk4 and mk7.
Also citrus bioflavonoids with Naringenin 3x day with c
I think important very
Fish oil and mct oil might be bad for some e4s and vitamin e might be bad. But don’t know anything for sure those research studies are tough to read. Maybe correcting some things helps to take these. All work together and are dependent on each other

Choline and mthfr status. Check homocysteine levels. I take phosphtydle spelling choline by Jarrow B right one a day and extra methylfolate 400 mcg
E4s are low in choline in brain and makes for fatty liver

So sorry I’m all over the place. Hopefully given some things to research and outside the box to ask google. Haha
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »