Annual lab results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Annual lab results

Post by KatieS »

My results on my annual labs were disappointing, but just confirms 23andme/genetic genie probabilities:
Vit D=38 despite being in sunlight & 1000 units daily, have VDR Taq ++, starting increased D3
Homocycteine 10.6 despite no red meats,lots of veggies/folate, B12, have BHMT-08++ starting SAMe & Source Natural's Homocysteine Defense with TMG
Herpes Simplex IgM titer is still pending, my IgG is undoubtedly positive, as I've had HSV meningitis, doctor thinks Dr. Permutter's protocol with Vit D levels of 70-80 & Valtrex is "extreme"
A1c=5.5, average BS=111, yet this would be average 1pp per my home tests
Refused the Estradial level, to verify under 50 on ultra-low dose estrogen, even though liver disease might increase the level.
Lastly, and the only result my doctor was concerned about, ALT=112, borderline elevated for over a decade, liver biopsy time? My first (and COMFORTING) thought was, well maybe AD will not be my demise!

Any suggestions welcome.
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Annual lab results

Post by asiagillett »

Hey Kitano, funny my vitamin D levels just came in at 38 as well. I hoped for more but I guess I need to up my intake. I've been taking a pretty small amount assuming outdoor sun exposure was sufficient. I guess I was wrong.

Julie, you'll be happy, I dropped my glucose by 10 points and I wasn't even fasting on the blood draw!! Oh and I didn't faint, that's what I'm most proud of.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

(((Kit))) Not awful news at all; at least you know where you stand and already have a plan in place to improve things. Even better, you genetically know WHY various levels are slightly off. That's huge in terms of addressing it.

Out of curiosity, what Vitamin D level would your doctor like you to target? Re, the herpes virus, did you see Dr. Itzhaki's recent paper detailing how detrimental HSV-1 can be to E4s? She's exploring even more radical approaches than anti-virals, including IVIG therapy. Here's full-text:

Herpes simplex virus type 1 and Alzheimer’s disease: increasing evidence for a major role of the virus
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4128394/

Do red meat eaters have higher homocysteine? I know vegetarians tend to have higher levels but I didn't realize red meat contributed as well. I was thinking that red meat, eggs, etc were rich in choline and would REDUCE homocysteine. Since I've cut out red meat (a la Dr. Grundy) I've been worried my levels would creep up... I wonder if the higher liver enzymes are a result of this too? Do you eat eggs? Supplement with choline? Have you checked your PEMT pathway?

Lastly, I wouldn't be overly worried about your A1c. I think your PPBG is probably more accurate. You're very bright and will have levels where you want them in no time...and will most likely teach us in the process :D

Asia, yay on both counts- lower glucose and not fainting!!! You need to teach my 6' 2" son that last trick. He's too big for me to catch. He faints every time :?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Kit, this MIGHT be helpful. It's mice, not humans- but demonstrates how reduced BHMT activity may affect choline homeostasis and affect the liver.

Deletion of Betaine-Homocysteine S-Methyltransferase in Mice Perturbs Choline and 1-Carbon Metabolism, Resulting in Fatty Liver and Hepatocellular Carcinoma
http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2011/0 ... 8.full.pdf
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

Funny Julie, the nurse was just saying it's always the big guys who pass out. I make them lay be down and talk to me, then I carry either a juice of some kind or licorice nibs for a quick sugar jolt. Not good for our diet but good for not fainting.

I feel for your son, it's scary and embarrassing!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

They just remember the big guys :D You're much easier to catch. I know it's scary. My son has neurally mediated hypotension. This is just part of it. Like you, he warns the phlebotomists and they are more than happy to have him lie down. His blood vessels leak out. Lots of water makes him feel better. Do you faint easily...from standing still or in hot weather?
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

I never faint but am not "comfortable" in either situation. I have always had issues with nausea and feeling faint when I get too hot. I even had to sit down at the gym today during a session. The fainting is just with blood draws/IV's and seeing blood.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

5,000 IU/day got a 25OHD test of 63. Adding 5,000 more every other day got me to 67. My friend suggests taking fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E) with fat in your meal for better absorption. Also remember to take K2 as MK7 to keep the D (and A & E) from causing issues.
Tincup
E3,E4
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Kitano,

I've gotten some weird lab results back recently too. Unsettling.

But about D: I wouldn't worry. I've looked into the research pretty closely. I wouldn't want my levels much higher than 75nmol/L (30ng/mL). At 38 (I assume you mean 38 ng/mL), some researchers would even say you're slightly too high, though that might depend on what conditions you're aiming to head off (optimal for minimizing bone fracture risk, for ex., may be just 24-29 ng/mL).

ConsumerLab.com says "If your level is above 35 ng/mL, taking a supplement may be doing more harm than good." [1]

GB

[1] https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/vit ... Vitamin_D/ (Have to be a memmber to see.)

P. S. Another thread here on vitamin D:

https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 710&p=6613

We could move further disc. about D there. (I just added smth.)
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi Kitano,
I was googling around reading about choline, and saw this on the Wikipedia page
"One sign of choline deficiency is an elevated level of the liver enzyme ALT.[31]"

This link had a chart of choline containing foods:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... nt&dbid=50

Just a thought. :)
Sandra Z
E4,E4