Fish oil supplements bad E/4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Fish oil supplements bad E/4

Post by Ssa »

I was reading this morning. Still trying to pin point why my cholesterol profile improved. I was thinking k2 which I think is important but I also had added phosphatidylcholine. I also have read that some studies indicated fish oil was bad for E/4.

I think my phosphatidylcholine had more to do with it. I’m going to try to get better numbers next time with also adding krill oil instead of fish oil.

Here’s the link to the study I read https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fj.201801412R
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fish oil supplements bad E/4

Post by slacker »

Those interested in this report by Dr Patrick may be interested in reading a prior discussion on our website. I don't think she says that fish oil supplements are "bad", but are not as effective as fatty fish for E4s due to their lack of phospholipid content. Using the search function (magnifying glass upper right tool bar) for 'phospholipid' will show other prior discussions.
Slacker
E4/E4
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Thank you slacker! I’m new to all of this and I guess far behind. I’m E2 /E4. I’ve been taking fish oil for years and was never able to bring my cholesterol down. I started taking phosphatidylcholine a year before my last bloodwork and finally got better numbers better. Could still use some improvement but not much. Do you think krill oil and continue phosphatidylcholine would be good or are others better.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Ssa wrote:I’ve been taking fish oil for years and was never able to bring my cholesterol down. I started taking phosphatidylcholine a year before my last bloodwork and finally got better numbers better. Could still use some improvement but not much. Do you think krill oil and continue phosphatidylcholine would be good or are others better.
High dose fish oil is used to reduce triglycerides in conventional medicine, but I don't think there is any proof that they help with other cholesterol markers. I use it more for its anti-inflammatory properties. This wiki chapter on fats and omega 3 may be of interest to you.

I don't have an opinion on krill oil and phosphatidylcholine for you as an individual. You can get other members' take on these supplements by doing a website search. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right hand toolbar to search.

We all start as beginners! I will never catch up to the knowledge base of folks like Julie G and MarcR (and many others - I remain in awe). Just focus on a little at a time, and on the subjects that are of most interest to you at the moment.
Slacker
E4/E4
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

I can’t use phosphytidyl choline because it gives me wicked insomnia. But I do use krill oil and not fish oil. After reading input from Rhonda Patrick and Joe Mercola, it seemed the most effective for e4’s. I do recall that Rhonda Patrick uses BOTH krill oil and fish oil (in triglyceride form) to hedge her bets.