Ready to Quit

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Ready to Quit

Post by circular »

Jan18 wrote:
buck3Maureen wrote: I actually have hated cooking my entire life, Maureen...
In my experience this does add another layer to the challenges of our lifestyles. I only enjoy cooking if my life is stress free, but I don't recall the last time that was the case. I do meditate, walk, and the like to help with stress, but it doesn't remove the stressful situations. A better way of putting it is I like to cook if I'm carefree. You know, when I live in Shangri La!

Anyway, just to sympathize here. It takes time and it's no fun under stress. Maybe if we pick say Sunday and spend the day cooking for the week, so by definition we aren't thinking about other things and set about to enjoy the day in the kitchen. Turn on some good music. A nice thought but darned if I can stick to schedules of any sort. :roll:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Jan18 wrote:I just love you all!!! (Is that too exteme to say? lol)
:lol: It says a lot about our world when we wonder if it's okay to love openly and unconditionally. You get the brave poster award twice in one thread!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

circular wrote: Wanted to comment on this. I do more weight lifting by keeping my various PT accoutrements on a towel on the living room floor, towel matching the carpet. It may not be everyone's idea of interior decor, but leaving the weights and other things there I am better able to work it in, usually in the morning with coffee and a good podcast or music, but on the rare occasion I watch TV I do it from the floor while I do various exercises. I also keep a couple weights in my bathroom so I see them and stop for a couple minutes at random times and do some exercises. I prefer this to taking lots of time to go to a gym and worry about picking up viruses. That said, due to some musculoskeletal issues, I can't use very heavy weights anymore. I focus on lots of reps at lower weights and make one of my kinds of meditation. If I could do heavier lifting I just may be using a gym.
I have some bands and a few light weights here, too, circular. I should really set them up in my bedroom or family room, too. Thanks for the encouragement.

Barbara
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

circular wrote:
Jan18 wrote:
buck3Maureen wrote: I actually have hated cooking my entire life, Maureen...
In my experience this does add another layer to the challenges of our lifestyles. I only enjoy cooking if my life is stress free, but I don't recall the last time that was the case. I do meditate, walk, and the like to help with stress, but it doesn't remove the stressful situations. A better way of putting it is I like to cook if I'm carefree. You know, when I live in Shangri La!

Anyway, just to sympathize here. It takes time and it's no fun under stress. Maybe if we pick say Sunday and spend the day cooking for the week, so by definition we aren't thinking about other things and set about to enjoy the day in the kitchen. Turn on some good music. A nice thought but darned if I can stick to schedules of any sort. :roll:
I've thought of that, too -- just cook a few things on Sunday to use during the week and freeze some, too. I guess you're right that we just need to make it a habit. I didn't used to cook breakfast a year or so ago and now I do almost every day and don't mind, because it has become easy.

I did make cauliflower soup in the crock pot the other day and it was really good. BUT it was too high in saturated fat, even using light cream, not heavy cream. <sigh> Gees, we can't have sweets, we can't have bread or any grains like rice/oats/quinoa, we can't have potatoes, we can't have beans, we can't have but small portions of certain animal proteins, no dairy and skimp on saturated fat. I get so frustrated and wonder what the heck CAN we eat? :(

And though some numbers are improving, I still haven't lost much weight. And I track what I eat on cronometer and stick to 1400 calories or less, with the fat/protein/carb percentages suggested.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

circular wrote:
Jan18 wrote:I just love you all!!! (Is that too exteme to say? lol)
:lol: It says a lot about our world when we wonder if it's okay to love openly and unconditionally. You get the brave poster award twice in one thread!
Aw, thanks, circular. :)
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

LATEST LABS (as of Dec. 3)!!!

I have great news to report, friends! Lab reports from my yearly physical with my internist compared to early Sept. labs from my functional medicine doctor. (And P.S. I don't know how to get the headings over each column or line the numbers up...tried and tried. It's lined up on my reply, but not when I hit "preview." Sorry it's a bit hard to read.)

Sept. labs to Dec. labs

Total cholesterol 289 ----------------------------------------------------- 232
HDL 59 ------------------------------------------------------------------------- 62
LDL 220 ------------------------------------------------------------------------- 150
Chol/HDLC ratio 4.89 ----------------------------------------------------- 3.7
Non HDL 230 ----------------------------------------------------------------- 170
Tryglycerides 110 ----------------------------------------------------------- 92
Trygl-HDLC ratio 1.9 ------------------------------------------------------- 1.48
LDL-HDL ratio 3.7 ----------------------------------------------------------- 2.42

Glucose 89 --------------------------------------------------------------------- 86

Insulin 11 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 8.9 (down from 16 at highest)

Gave my functional med dr. results and she was as excited for me as my internist! Still a ways to go on some of the markers. But the only thing I've done consistently different between the labs is intermittent fasting of 18 hours a day, and a few days 20-24.

Some of the other biomarkers on the cognoscopy are fine and some still need improving and some my functional med dr. didn't even test for yet! So that is the topic of the next appt. with her.

I'm most excited about my insulin! Yes, still a ways to go to be where Bredesen wants it, but on the lab report, 4.5 - 8.9 is "optimal." I know we want optimal to be what Bredesen outlines, but I still feel great that it's going down, down, down!

Just wanted to share!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Congrats on all the improvement! Keep up the good fight!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Awesome, my friend! You've come a long way from wanting to quit. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your progress.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

This is fantastic! It's also interesting that the fasting is the only major change. Keep up the good work! The positive reinforcement helps ...