Supplements I take and why

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Supplements I take and why

Post by Ssa »

I read a thread on this and wanted to re-open the discussion. Would love to learn what others do for their health. I am E2 E4. I have osteoporosis that I have improved a lot. I have finally lowered my ldl and raise my hdl. I also have two snips on mthfr A1298C and C677T.
I revise my regime every few months or yearly depending on bloodwork or how I feel. Constantly learning new things hence hoping to find new ideas to research.
I am always hopeful that if I can reverse my osteoporosis and keep my homocysteine and cholesterol in check and other bloodwork that I am also lessening my AD chances.

So here is my current regimen
Morning
Bottle spring water
Coffee with 1/4 tsp of potassium citrate
And again in second cup to get total of 1000mg
Potassium citrate
1 or 2 alkaline balance tabs. Depending on my urine
Ph that I check periodically throughout day
Lots more spring water
My synthroid
Intermittent fasting until 2 or 3 in afternoon. No breakfast.

Lunch large salad/cheese/ green veggies/ some form protein
B right Jarrow
400mcg methylfolate
Mk4 and mk7 K2
Sunflower lecithin
Micro minerals Thorne
Zinc balance Thorne
Vitamin A retinol
D3 5000 to 10000
DHEA 25 every other day
12 collagen tabs

Dinner
Salad/ green veggies/ protein
12 collagen tabs

Bedtime
400 to 600 mg magnesium citrate
2 alkaline balance
Another 1000mg potassium citrate powder
Sunflower lecithin
Fish oil
1 famalie E Jarrow couple times week
Calcium citrate if not enough in diet for day 200 to 400mg. Varies
Mk4/mk7 K2
My progesterone oral

I also get bio identical hormone pellets estradiol and testosterone with an extra pellet for keeping testosterone from turning into more estradiol
I also drink lemon water all day in my yeti cup and often add ginger tincture
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Supplements I take and why

Post by Ssa »

I forgot I also take 1000mg vitamin C in morning
And another 500mg with lunch vitamins

I also didn’t include why I take what I take and what I have changed over time and why. I think I will let others dictate what I explain. No need if no one is really interested. Everyone has their own regimen and I am interested in why you take what you take. My goals are fixing my known health issues ( osteoporosis and cholesterol/homocysteine) and addressing things for E2 and e4. ( fat soluble vitamins DEKA and choline/dha )
That I have read about.

I also power walk 3 to 5 miles several times a week and do planks and yoga.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Ssa wrote:I have osteoporosis that I have improved a lot.
My long list of supplements and everything else I do would probably take hours for me to list and explain why I take/do them. I can’t do this now; I’m so behind on many things. But I am wondering if you wouldn’t mind explaining what you’re specifically doing to improve your osteoporosis. Regardless of what I do, my osteoporosis continues to worsen.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Hi Brain
Well I wrote out my reply to you and saved it but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to load it on here. This is the hardest board to maneuver. Maybe it’s because I am just on my iPhone but unfortunately this is my computer now. I will keep trying to load my saved draft. I have lost so many long post that I wanted to save it but it’s trouble too. I don’t have this kind of time.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Hi Brain
I kept getting worse too over the past 12 years until my last DEXA scan. I went from my worst vertebrae at -3.3 to a -2.5. The rest all moved into osteopenia. One part of hip even went -07. I was ecstatic.

The two years prior to this scan I started following Better Bones Better Body. Here and doing my research I added more vitamin K2 as mk7. I also started checking my urine PH with the paper through out day. I was very acidic. I would have good ph before going to bed and then wake up an hour or two after following asleep and check my urine and would have gone completely acidic.
Th theory is that while asleep the liver dumps all the toxins and in order to keep your blood at constant normal ph which your body has to do to stay alive it has to find alkaline minerals to neutralize the toxins. The place it gets these is pulling it from bones. Bones turnover constantly. So I started adding more potassium throughout day. Counting approximate from food. You need at least 4700 mg a day. I wasn’t getting near that. So take at least 1000mg potassium citrate. I was doing 10 to 12 99mg capsules in morning and before bed. And trying to eat potassium rich foods from salad to avacado potato even potato chips instead of other chips and so on. I’m taking just the potassium citrate in powder form by NOW. It’s cheap. I put 1/4 to 1/2 tsp in my coffee or my lemon water. I also have to take Alkaline Balance by Source Naturals two in morning and two at night. You have to check ph throughout day to see what you need. You don’t want to go alkaline. I also added more magnesium citrate instead of oxide. I lowered my calcium because with my food I was getting too much in a day. 4 alkaline balance has 400mg calcium citrate. I still struggle to get enough potassium in a day even with supplmenting with 2 to 3000 mg. I can’t eat that much in a day.

I also got my mthfr in check with monitoring my homocysteine which was a challenge.

I was taking a supplement that I have stopped now and I’m scared it might change my next scan. It was a citrus bioflavonoid by bluebonnet. It is high in narringenin (grapefruit). I think it is good but learned that it is high in phytoestrogens and could tell it was negating my hormone pellets. I want the bio identical hormones not the weaker plant hormones on my receptors. I was taking 2 or 3 a day. I took it to make my c work better. Naringenin has studies that are good for osteoporosis. So I might go back to it for sure.

So I do a lot and not sure which is more important but watching ph and potassium, taking k2 mk7. I’ve added mk4 too now. But it lowers testosterone and I keep playing with the dosage there.

I also quit so relentless on my exercise and only power walk 3 or 4 times a week instead of every day to give my body recovery time.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

I finally figured it out!! Duh. I re read my unedited reply and see it might be confusing. I was taking 99mg capsules of potassium and now I’m doing the powder. I also had added the phosphatidylcholine one year prior to my last scan. I think this may be essential too. I was taking one that soy derived but have change to a sunflower derived and am taking more of that. I have been having trouble with my ph staying in check. I have raised my dose of that to double for APOE4 and my theory is that I am dumping more toxins from my liver and have added more potassium and alkaline balance to compensate.

Also if you add more potassium you need to keep in mind that you don’t have kidney problems and are not taking any potassium sparing diuretics.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

I’m not sure if my collagen has helped my bones either. I was doing that prior years and it didn’t change anything but not sure if it’s all cumulative. It’s hard to tell when we do so much.
I use hydrion test paper
I will also try to link some research I have found

My observations of people that have osteoporosis and don’t are eye opening. In our restaurant we have a lot of retireees and some women are 85 and don’t eat right yet still have normal bones and normal dexa scans. It is just all genetic. And we have to correct it. My sister who is older does not have osteoporosis. She has same mthfr as me but apoe is e/3 and e/4. Mine is e/2 e/4. My mother had sever osteoporosis.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Here is one study on apoe and osteoporosis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28784276/
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Ssa wrote:Here is one study on apoe and osteoporosis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28784276/
Wow, interesting. I hope some researchers will attempt to replicate this in other populations as well.

Thanks for sharing your routine for bones Ssa. I have increasing osteopenia and am trying to prevent osteoporosis. I've never tested my pH at all, so this should be interesting. I do take the MK7 and MK4, but only recently increased them.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Ssa
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ssa »

Here is another link in case you are nervous taking so much extra potassium https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... cle/485434