Rapamycin prevents age-related brain vascular deterioration in rats

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rapamycin prevents age-related brain vascular deterioration in rats

Post by bosco »

For anyone taking rapamycin, where did you get it and what dose. I'm still researching and learning but I'm curious to know what others are doing. Thanks
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

I’m a patient of Dr. Green. I take 6mg once a week. PM me if you’d like more info. I’d be happy to help.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bosco »

I'm thinking of visiting Dr. Green but it's a trip, I live in Calif. How was your experience and did he suggest you take rapamycin and mortformin both or just the rapamycin. How about refills?
Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. I just started looking into this.
Many thanks, Michael
Newtothis3/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Newtothis3/4 »

Here is Dr. Green’s site
I live in AZ
https://rapamycintherapy.com/
Look under ‘neurodegeneration’ too see Rapa’s ability to prevent AD in Apoe4
Dr. Green does not mandate you taking metformin with Rapa, but metformin is also used as an anti-aging and anti-cancer in off label use. I personally am happy that I am taking both.
Refills are done yearly via phone. Blood tests are taken every 3 months. 6 months on Rapa and I feel better than I ever have.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bosco »

Hi Newtothis3/4
I see that this post is from Nov.2019. I'm curious, since then what has been your experience taking rapa?
Thanks,
Bosco
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

4/4 and going on 70 (later this year). Cognitively in great shape.
Started rapamycin last November as prescribed by Dr. Alan Green in NY as an AD preventative measure.
Feeling wonderful and worrying less these days that I might lose my "marbles". I find that overall, it makes me feel great.
Wish there were some actual trials being conducted on 4/4's and rapamycin. I believe it holds great promise.
Have had no side effects except 1 mouth sore the first time I took it.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Karina52 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:21 am Started rapamycin last November as prescribed by Dr. Alan Green in NY as an AD preventative measure.
Hi Karina, thanks for your post! Curious what your dosing is, where you fill your script from Dr. Green and the cost.

Thanks!!
Tincup
E3,E4
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

Wish there were some actual trials being conducted on 4/4's and rapamycin. I believe it holds great promise.
Have had no side effects except 1 mouth sore the first time I took it.
Hey Karina!

ClinicalTrials.gov lists over 1000 rapamycin studies. Most are of course not looking at APOE status, but some definitely are.

Two registry studies are worth noting:

https://rapamycinstudy.org/
(Already started.)

https://www.rapamycin.io/
(Will start soon.)

Both of the above are (at least partly) longevity-oriented studies, and the first – a Univ. of Washington study run by Matt Kaeberlein and colleagues – and I imagine the second, as well, will definitely be stratifying results by APOE status.

I just joined the U of Wash. study. It was surprisingly quick and simple to enter the needed info. It's a good cause, since the results will likely form part of a grant application to do a proper RCT of rapamycin and dementia.

Best,
Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
Brian4
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Brian4 »

bosco wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:41 pm For anyone taking rapamycin, where did you get it and what dose. I'm still researching and learning but I'm curious to know what others are doing. Thanks
Hi Bosco. I recommend seeing Dr. Alan Green if you're in the US.

New York State law requires one in-person visit before a patient can switch to virtual. So one trip to New York to see Dr. Green would be needed – and, in my view, very much worth it. Rapamycin isn't without side effects, and Dr. Green has the most experience of any physician of whom I'm aware with treating people with rapamycin for general healthspan effects, and has a keen interest in APOE.

Myself, I was impatient (and I've studied the research quite carefully so I feel comfortable with self-experimentation here), so I decided to get my rapamycin elsewhere, but next time I'm in the Northeast I plan to see Dr. Green. I also plan to bring both my 4/3 parents to him (though travel is difficult for them).

Brian
ε4/ε4 (for now).
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

What are y’all paying for Rapa for off-label use? I’ve read it can be several hundred $ a month? The wife and I are both double 4s so it could add up to be a small car payment!
Last edited by grommet on Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
ε4,ε4