statins and antibiotics together

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

statins and antibiotics together

Post by Berri »

I need advice. Finally managed to see a cardiologist about my cardiac calcium score of 510. The testing firm said 400 was bad, made me think it was pretty serious and recommended an angiogram. The cardiologist yesterday looked scornful, said I was fine, he sees scores in the 900s and 1000s. I had mentioned that my father, his five siblings and eight first cousins slid into dementia caused by arteriosclerosis between ages 77- 82; but he didn't blink. Just prescribed a "small dosage" of rosuvastatin/Crestor.

On the same day I had an appointment for a recurring sore inside my nose. It turned out to be a non-issue but doctor prescribed mupirocin antibiotic for two weeks.

I know that Dr. B has nothing good to say about statins and not much good about antibiotics. So I did some research.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Caroline Horizny, PhD wrote in taconic.com (good or bad site, I don't know) that:

"Very rarely, statins cause a life-threatening condition called rhabdomyolysis, which causes liver damage, severe muscle pain, kidney failure, and eventually death. The risk of developing this condition is exacerbated by combining medications; most frequently between a statin and an antibiotic 16,17. In two cases, published in 2007, both patients were administered simvastatin and either erythromycin or clarithromycin and both developed rhabdomyolysis. They were hospitalized once presenting symptoms of extreme muscle impairment but were able to recover after forty days in the hospital18."

On another page in the forums I saw a story about a man's father whose doctor insisted he take both a statin and an antibiotic. He died.

I realize my dosage is supposed to be small and I would take the mupirocin for two weeks only.

I am APOE 2/4. I think that my arteriosclerosis is a bigger threat than the 4. But I want your advice. Take the meds and take my chances or ignore the cardiologist (meaning I might never get in to see another one). Or not take the mupirocin.

THANKS, Berri
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: statins and antibiotics together

Post by NF52 »

Berri wrote:I need advice. Finally managed to see a cardiologist about my cardiac calcium score of 510...The cardiologist yesterday looked scornful, said I was fine, he sees scores in the 900s and 1000s. I had mentioned that my father, his five siblings and eight first cousins slid into dementia caused by arteriosclerosis between ages 77- 82; but he didn't blink. Just prescribed a "small dosage" of rosuvastatin/Crestor.

On the same day I had an appointment for a recurring sore inside my nose. It turned out to be a non-issue but doctor prescribed mupirocin antibiotic for two weeks.

I know that Dr. B has nothing good to say about statins and not much good about antibiotics. So I did some research.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Caroline Horizny, PhD wrote in taconic.com (good or bad site, I don't know) that:

"Very rarely, statins cause a life-threatening condition called rhabdomyolysis, which causes liver damage, severe muscle pain, kidney failure, and eventually death...”

THANKS, Berri
Hi Berri!
I know many folks are very leery of statins and of over-prescription of antibiotics. So this is just my experience:
I’ve been on a low dose of atorvastatin for 2.5 years with no ill effects. Early vascular and cardiac death on both sides is a good enough reason for me. I’ve also had antibiotics (Cipro mostly, since I’m allergic to penicillin and sulfa) for extended bronchitis once or twice during that time. No side effects from the combination. I think the “very rare” may be key. If you want to be sure, you could have the antibiotic first and start the Crestor in 2 weeks. Your heart will patiently wait, I’d bet.
4/4 and still an optimist!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Berri wrote:
Mupirocin is typically a topical antibiotic, with less body wide distribution and much less possible negative effect on the gut.

I like NF52's suggestion about holding on the statin for the 2 weeks if taking both meds together makes you nervous.

Why do you think you will not be able to see a different cardiologist? It would be lovely to be able to work with someone less dismissive of your concerns who would treat you as an individual.

Many of us pay attention to the evidence that focusing on reversing insulin resistance for heart health. Are you already doing this? And some of our members (like NF52) do start statins without noticeable side effects, especially if they have high cardiac calcium scores. It's all a balancing act, making decisions based on our preferences and what we know today.
Slacker
E4/E4
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Berri »

Thank you, Slacker. You and NF52 both make a lot of sense.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

NF52 is spot on, once again, in my opinion. :D (oh, and Slacker too!)

The debate about statins is a long one. The best course of action almost certainly depends on our own situations.

I've been on low dose statins, of various sorts, for 3-4 years now. The research convinced me that overall the benefits outweighed the side effects for me. I like that they have an anti-inflammatory effect. They also prevented the usual spike in "bad" cholesterols and TGs when I began a ketogenic diet and was eating lots of nuts and chocolate - yes, this felt a bit like cheating but it worked.

Good luck!