Strawberries and 34% lower risk of AD in Rush Memory Cohort

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
dfmcapecod
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Strawberries and 34% lower risk of AD in Rush Memory Cohort

Post by dfmcapecod »

I need to cite the sources for this, but here's what I've confirmed so far.

In Dr. Gundry's THE MATRIX PROTOCOL which has been referenced hundreds of times on this site, and the PDF that is often downloaded from this forum: Strawberries are considered SAFE FOODS.

In Dr. Gundry's The Plant Paradox, they are permissible in a single serving, because they contain lectins.

I need to find the source, but for APOE 4/4's he specifically goes hard core and says no strawberries at all because lectins. This was in another PDF or someone that had transcribed something specific for 4/4's.

So again, when a Dr. targets lectins as a critical front for 4/4's we should be skeptical and understand the why.
DM
ε4/ε4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

dfmcapecod wrote:
I think Dr. Gundry would generally be against strawberries for the sugar content rather than lectins, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Many of us, Gundry followers or not, use berries as a source of whatever carb amount we allow ourselves because of what I've taken is their strong association with brain health.
In his Matrix Protocol, he lists Strawberries as an approved safe food. HOWEVER, for 4/4's he says no because of the lectins specifically.
Thanks for the clarification.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

dfmcapecod wrote:I think this forum in particular should do better to answer this concern.
And I think this forum is doing a wonderful job already by providing an opportunity for all to share their experiences. Dr. Gundy has satisfied patients and non-patient adherents as well as skeptics and naysayers. In my opinion, they are all correct. We are all blind men, and Dr. Gundry is an elephant.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

MarcR wrote:
dfmcapecod wrote:I think this forum in particular should do better to answer this concern.
And I think this forum is doing a wonderful job already by providing an opportunity for all to share their experiences. Dr. Gundy has satisfied patients and non-patient adherents as well as skeptics and naysayers. In my opinion, they are all correct. We are all blind men, and Dr. Gundry is an elephant.
Love the analogy Marc...

dfmcapecod... this forum is a place for thoughtful discussion of APOE4, we are not an authority nor will any of us act as one when it comes to the science. It is a place where every member is free to discuss the pros or cons and make their own informed decisions. Please continue to post keeping in mind the purpose of this forum.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

NF52 wrote:This Dec. 2019 article may be of interest to those wondering whether berries have an independent association with reduced risk of Alzheimer's. Here's a bit of background and a description of the study participants, a subset of the long-studied Rush Memory and Aging Project in Chicago, provided by the authors of the article Association of Strawberries and Anthocyanidin Intake with Alzheimer’s Dementia Risk:
The Nurses’ Health Study...reported slower cognitive decline among older women who consumed strawberries more than two times per week when compared to those consuming less than once a week [17]. In the present analysis, we investigated the association between strawberry consumption and the risk of Alzheimer’s dementia in a community cohort of older adults...

The analytical sample of 925 participants was on average 81 (±7.2) years of age, 75% female, 98% White, had a mean educational level of 15 (±3) years, and 21.5% had an APOE-e4 allele. A total of 245 participants developed Alzheimer’s dementia over the mean follow-up of 6.7 (±3.6) years. Strawberry intake ranged from 0 to 2 servings/week (mean intake of the population: 0.64 servings/week)...

The baseline characteristics of participants consuming strawberries more than once a week were similar
to those consuming strawberries rarely or a few times/month (Table 1). Strawberry consumption was
weakly correlated with the consumption of other healthy foods, including other fruits, leafy green
vegetables, seafood, beans/legumes, olive oil, and nuts...

And here's the results:
we controlled for other foods that reported to be associated with better cognition, including leafy green vegetables and seafood... we further adjusted for presence of hypertension, diabetes, myocardial infarction, and stroke but there was little change in the effect estimates (HR = 0.75, 95% CI: 0.60, 0.95), indicating that the association is not mediated by cardiovascular conditions. We also assessed any confounding by total vitamin E intake and found no difference in the association (Table 2). Overall, participants consuming one or more servings of strawberries per week had a 34% lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s dementia when compared to those consuming none or less than once per month
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/11/12/3060
Thanks for sharing! I've been a big strawberry fan for years, so it's great to hear that there may be some additional benefit to eating a food that is packed with anti-inflammatory nutrients. I have them pretty much every day.
Rainy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rainy »

This thread is my hands-down forum favorite! I relish all the information sharing, the brilliant arguments presented, the clearly strong personalities, the underlying good humor and respect for differing conclusions and decisions, and the brave journey to brain health each one of us undertakes anew each day. All starting with strawberries! Who knew? How marvelous! But really, I want someone to tell me it's ok to have a dark beer most evenings, which makes me happy, along with those juicy strawberries and my indica cannabis for blissful sleep.
Rainy
E4/E4
"Live your life, live your life, live your life!" Maurice Sendak