The Ketogenic Diet: A Neurologist’s Warning

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: The Ketogenic Diet: A Neurologist’s Warning

Post by Plumster »

It seems that Esselstyn isn't quite as strict about plant-based fats and EVOO as he used to be, according to this 2017 article that he co-authored.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 9717300360
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting, Plumster. I admire his ability to change with the evidence... although I still question many of his recommendations such as the promotion of genetically modified, highly engineered canola oil. It's also with noting that george05 appears to have abstained from all oil while on this approach.
Not exactly. It was my heart calcium score that tripled on the Esselstyn diet. It started at a 600 and increased to over 1800 while being vegan with no oils. The triglycerides remained in the upper 200’s to 300’s during that time. My triglycerides are now under 50 with no grains and niacin.
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Family Tree Guy »

Julie G wrote:
According to Attia and Dayspring, there is no agreed upon testing that determines HDL functionality. In terms of assessing my own HDL, I think it makes sense to assess the downstream effects of the known functions of HDL (like reverse cholesterol transport and the antioxidant properties) to roughly determine functionality. In other words, if your LDL-C (and more importantly LDL-P) are decent and your oxLDL is low, it's probably doing it's job. All that said, I still find it stunning that Attia doesn't recognize the benefits of naturally high functional HDL.
This study seems relevant to the discussion:
Is Isolated Low High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol a Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factor?
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10 ... 115.002436

It contains data analysis basically saying that HDL (considered as a single biomarker) is not too helpful. Rather, you need to consider the LDL and TG levels to determine something meaningful. (I am grossly simplifying, but if your LDL and TG levels are below 100, then having a low HDL level does not predict tendency to CVD.) It does not really discuss the functionality of HDL issue. I researched this at one point because I have found that if I eat a low fat style (Ornish / Esselstyn type) diet, my total cholesterol goes very low, but so does my HDL. Vice-versa also true-- if I eat more nuts and avocado and such, both my HDL and TC increase. (Happily my TG levels don't seem to be affected.) I was wondering if the literature had some suggestion which is better for AD prevention..
best,
FTG
DianeSC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DianeSC »

PBW, can you tell us the krill oil brand that you found with 600 mg Omega 3 (EPA 330, DHA 202, Astaxanthin 1700)?
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

circular wrote:
Julie G wrote:You can monitor it at home with a gadget called iHeart. ...
Thanks for mentioning this. I'd never heard of it. When I went to the website using your link, after scrolling down it says it costs less than $149. When you click buy it costs $195. On Amazon it's available for $149. Just thought some may want to know where to get the lower price.

I wonder how connective tissue disorders might influence the results. I think for those individuals the vessels are already supposed to be less stiff due to the weaker connective tissues that line them. Maybe it's something other than the connective tissue, and independent from it, and not influenced by it, that is stiffening and then detected by the iHeart?
Circular,
I have a friend who uses an oximeter for Afib. She bought it at a CVS (doesn't know the brand, though) for $30 a year ago. When I gave her your price, she was floored and wondered if the increased demand for them, given the coronavirus situation and recommendations about using them to detect heart issues due to decreased lung capacity has skyrocketed the price.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote:
circular wrote: Circular,
I have a friend who uses an oximeter for Afib. She bought it at a CVS (doesn't know the brand, though) for $30 a year ago. When I gave her your price, she was floored and wondered if the increased demand for them, given the coronavirus situation and recommendations about using them to detect heart issues due to decreased lung capacity has skyrocketed the price.
The iHeart device's purpose is to measure pulse wave velocity. SpO2 & heart rate are reported, but not the primary purpose. It also won't diagnose afib. Its price hasn't changed.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote:
Jan18 wrote:
circular wrote: Circular,
The iHeart device's purpose is to measure pulse wave velocity. SpO2 & heart rate are reported, but not the primary purpose. It also won't diagnose afib. Its price hasn't changed.
She has already been diagnosed with Afib and was told to use it by her doctors to measure her oxygen and heart rate to see if she is in Afib. At least that is what she told me.

But she obviously uses an off-brand type, then, if the price has remained consistent.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

On the topic of the oximeter, have you seen this?
"There is a way we could identify more patients who have Covid pneumonia sooner and treat them more effectively — and it would not require waiting for a coronavirus test at a hospital or doctor’s office. It requires detecting silent hypoxia early through a common medical device that can be purchased without a prescription at most pharmacies: a pulse oximeter.

Pulse oximetry is no more complicated than using a thermometer. These small devices turn on with one button and are placed on a fingertip. In a few seconds, two numbers are displayed: oxygen saturation and pulse rate. Pulse oximeters are extremely reliable in detecting oxygenation problems and elevated heart rates."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opin ... 9mwHkmNFSI

Also explains why Covid patients don't realize how critical their pneumonia is and how it became so without them knowing. New information.
Last edited by Jan18 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote:On the topic of the oximeter, have you seen this?
"There is a way we could identify more patients who have Covid pneumonia sooner and treat them more effectively — and it would not require waiting for a coronavirus test at a hospital or doctor’s office. It requires detecting silent hypoxia early through a common medical device that can be purchased without a prescription at most pharmacies: a pulse oximeter.
Yep, I test all kinds of things daily: temp, BP, heart rate during sleep, heart rate variability during sleep, SpO2, pulse wave velocity (I have an iHeart), fasting serum glucose, fasting serum ketones & etc. I would expect to see a signal if I got sick. Some pulse oxes may detect afib, looking for the very large heart rate variability during afib. There could be other reasons for the variability, but gives an idea (I've had afib for nearly 16 years and can "see" it in a pulse wave.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote:
Jan18 wrote:On the topic of the oximeter, have you seen this?
Yep, I test all kinds of things daily: temp, BP, heart rate during sleep, heart rate variability during sleep, SpO2, pulse wave velocity (I have an iHeart), fasting serum glucose, fasting serum ketones & etc. I would expect to see a signal if I got sick. Some pulse oxes may detect afib, looking for the very large heart rate variability during afib. There could be other reasons for the variability, but gives an idea (I've had afib for nearly 16 years and can "see" it in a pulse wave.
Interesting, Tincup! Sounds like you are a pro at managing your Afib and doing your testings.

I found the article fascinating in that it went on to explain how a typical person with the level of pneumonia that is critical would know it long before the Covid-induced pneumonia patient and why Covid patients don't realize how critical they are....different ways the virus causes the pneumonia. How a person who has no shortness of breath can suddenly drop dead the next day. Frightening!

I know this is a departure from Apoe4 info, and I hope it isn't too off-topic. Just more info that they are learning daily and hoped it would prove helpful to this community.